Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. grizzlybear

grizzlybear Senior member

:lol: those shoes are hideous

2. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

yes sir you are correct. What about half a midsole though where the rubber does not run all the way to the heel.

3. meso

meso Senior member

4. Shorty Long

Shorty Long Senior member

Thank you very much.

5. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

6. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

protrudes a little to much to my liking though hence why I opted for close trim/single row stitch

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

7. Davo

Davo New Member

[​IMG]

These are classic semi-dress in brown (quite dark). Close sole trim, single leather sole and block heel lowered 1/4''.

Great boots. However, these are a size 8 and I swear Whites put about a size 12 heel on them (not hight, width). As a result, they were hard to walk in and looked stupid (the heel stuck out at the sides and back). I took them to a cobbler who sanded them down and re-stained the leather. I expected better from a custom boot maker (as did my cobbler).

8. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

^1stly, do your research more thoroughly before putting in an MTO.
    2ndly, how can [that] be "classic"? you've altered the sole x heel configuration so drastically. SD was designed for a certain look & purpose.
    you shoulda gotten a regular/normal dress boot if you want them sleek & low-profiled.

you don't do a single leather sole x [1/4 lower + block heel] combination & expect them to be the same SD.
    the boot design was not meant for such severe customization, be it aesthetically or performance-wise.
    i've seen a couple of SD pairs on single sole x block heel & they look fine [for my taste, ie]. i asked the owners how they wear & they had no problem with it. you would've been fine if you didn't opt to lower the heels. but, then again you prolly still might feel the heels to be chunky & protruding too much.... all about taste & preference.

btw, the standard/slanted heels are trimmed closer @ the heels.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012

9. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

I had bakers put some taps on my current order :slayer:
    kyle always coming through :happy:

10. Davo

Davo New Member

1stly, I'm new here and don't know what an MTO is.

2ndly, Whites initially mucked up my order and sent me a boot with standard sole trim and a standard hight block heel. They were not fine. I'm going to have to insist that the heel was too wide for the size of the shoe. I thought so and my cobbler (who makes custom western boots and knows what he's talking about) thought so too.

3rdly, lets talk about heel hight if you want. The relative lift of a heel on a large shoe is different to that on a small shoe. So a true "custom" maker would match heel lift with shoe length, right? That is if they want ergonomic and comfort consistency across their range of sizes. I don't think Whites do this. That's why I asked them to take 1/4'' off the lifts of my size 8 boots.

I will concede the point that the slanted heel would have solved the the width problem. Frankly tho, I'm just too short to be drawing attention to my tall, slanted heels :)

11. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

made to order__ you ordered for a lowered block heels, so that's what they made. White's is a niche boots brand/maker. when you go to them, they assume you know exactly what you want done .... unless, you ask questions or ask for their advise/suggestions before you put in your order.

'just curious why the interest on White's boots, then... if you're not particularly into its aesthetics?
    concede? i think you got things in reverse. the boot design was intended to take in slanted/"Cuban" heels__ hence, the "standard" spec. again, on MTO they will make it as per your order, unless you ask for advise/suggestions before you put in the order.

IMO, you need to know [it] before you fack with it. otherwise, tweak @ your own risk.

incidentally, i just took receipt of my personal "build up"__ SemiDresss in Horsehide x Bison leather captoes & backstays :: 'Swing" last :: single leather mid-soles on Vibram composite half-soles [close trim + natural] with 1/4" lowered block heels.... a slightly similar make up as yours.

not really every1's cup of tea, but [the most important thing] it's to my taste & style. the swing last made them travel ready [out of the box]. so, i gladly obliged & been LUVin' them since. wish i din't prang my camera on the kitchen floor, but will mosdef post pix asap.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012

12. Davo

Davo New Member

I really like the boots, I think they're great! I did my research before placing the order and am totally happy with the decisions that I made.

My only complaint was about the width of the heel (an $8 fix) relative to the size of the boot. It looked very different to the pictures that are posted on here of the same boot, in the same configuration, but in larger sizes. Should have taken a picture.... It's hardly worth banging on about...... but if they are more comfortable to walk in after being sanded down, that tells me there was something wrong to begin with.

13. Animaltraffic

Animaltraffic New Member

14. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

15. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

concur! keep posting evos, plz.