• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're not alone. I think the lowered heel looks weird on both the standard and the block heel really (though less weird with the block heel maybe). Just not a fan as the boots looks like it's tipping backwards to me. Maybe I've just been looking at regular White's too long.
(also...I think RW GT's heels look way too short too)

yes that`s what I meant. It looks like the toe is now slightly point up. Though bl@ster`s pair with the block heel looks similar to the height of RW, Alden, etc. its more evident on ones without any vibram midsoles. It looks great lowered with the vibram though as shown in the pics above. thanks gd1944

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yes that`s what I meant. It looks like the toe is now slightly point up. Though bl@ster`s pair with the block heel looks similar to the height of RW, Alden, etc. its more evident on ones without any vibram midsoles. It looks great lowered with the vibram though as shown in the pics above. thanks gd1944

The thickness of the vibram midsole is uniform though, so it wouldn't change the shoe looking like it was tilting.

It's personal preference, but I think normal White's heels make them look too high, almost cartoon like. And sometimes with double soles they can look like 70's disco boots, like this:

Last edited:

gd1944

Reaction score

The 1/4 Inch Lowered Cuban Heel with Single Midsole: [top-most pic] looks about the same height of a single leather sole with no vibram midsole/half-slip at standard height correct?
since the midsole does add up to the overall height.

The rubber layer may have different thickness than the leather layer. So it will not be exactly the same.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The thickness of the vibram midsole is uniform though, so it wouldn't change the shoe looking like it was tilting.

yes sir you are correct. What about half a midsole though where the rubber does not run all the way to the heel.

Shorty Long

Reaction score
Thank you very much.

1/4 Inch Lowered Cuban Heel with Single Midsole:

1/4 Inch Lowered Cuban Heel with Double Midsole:

In contrast, this is Standard Height Cuban Heel with Single Midsole:

And Standard Height Cuban Heel with Double Midsole:

I think this covers all the possible configurations for the cuban heel.
(Except for the use of Half Soles.)
I hope it helps.

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you are 12-12.5 it's your lucky day.
Semi-dress @ $325
http://www.imogeneandwillie.com/men

nice!
they got some nice pics of the sd on their site
BlackRear_medium.jpg

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
protrudes a little to much to my liking though hence why I opted for close trim/single row stitch

Last edited:

Davo

Reaction score

These are classic semi-dress in brown (quite dark). Close sole trim, single leather sole and block heel lowered 1/4''.

Great boots. However, these are a size 8 and I swear Whites put about a size 12 heel on them (not hight, width). As a result, they were hard to walk in and looked stupid (the heel stuck out at the sides and back). I took them to a cobbler who sanded them down and re-stained the leather. I expected better from a custom boot maker (as did my cobbler).

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^1stly, do your research more thoroughly before putting in an MTO.
2ndly, how can [that] be "classic"? you've altered the sole x heel configuration so drastically. SD was designed for a certain look & purpose.
you shoulda gotten a regular/normal dress boot if you want them sleek & low-profiled.

you don't do a single leather sole x [1/4 lower + block heel] combination & expect them to be the same SD.
the boot design was not meant for such severe customization, be it aesthetically or performance-wise.
i've seen a couple of SD pairs on single sole x block heel & they look fine [for my taste, ie]. i asked the owners how they wear & they had no problem with it. you would've been fine if you didn't opt to lower the heels. but, then again you prolly still might feel the heels to be chunky & protruding too much.... all about taste & preference.

btw, the standard/slanted heels are trimmed closer @ the heels.

Last edited:

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had bakers put some taps on my current order :slayer:
kyle always coming through :happy:

Davo

Reaction score
1stly, I'm new here and don't know what an MTO is.

2ndly, Whites initially mucked up my order and sent me a boot with standard sole trim and a standard hight block heel. They were not fine. I'm going to have to insist that the heel was too wide for the size of the shoe. I thought so and my cobbler (who makes custom western boots and knows what he's talking about) thought so too.

3rdly, lets talk about heel hight if you want. The relative lift of a heel on a large shoe is different to that on a small shoe. So a true "custom" maker would match heel lift with shoe length, right? That is if they want ergonomic and comfort consistency across their range of sizes. I don't think Whites do this. That's why I asked them to take 1/4'' off the lifts of my size 8 boots.

I will concede the point that the slanted heel would have solved the the width problem. Frankly tho, I'm just too short to be drawing attention to my tall, slanted heels :)

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1stly, I'm new here and don't know what an MTO is.

made to order__ you ordered for a lowered block heels, so that's what they made. White's is a niche boots brand/maker. when you go to them, they assume you know exactly what you want done .... unless, you ask questions or ask for their advise/suggestions before you put in your order.

2ndly, Whites initially mucked up my order and sent me a boot with standard sole trim and a standard hight block heel. They were not fine. I'm going to have to insist that the heel was too wide for the size of the shoe. I thought so and my cobbler (who makes custom western boots and knows what he's talking about) thought so too.

3rdly, lets talk about heel hight if you want. The relative lift of a heel on a large shoe is different to that on a small shoe. So a true "custom" maker would match heel lift with shoe length, right? That is if they want ergonomic and comfort consistency across their range of sizes. I don't think Whites do this. That's why I asked them to take 1/4'' off the lifts of my size 8 boots.

I will concede the point that the slanted heel would have solved the the width problem. Frankly tho, I'm just too short to be drawing attention to my tall, slanted heels :)

'just curious why the interest on White's boots, then... if you're not particularly into its aesthetics?
concede? i think you got things in reverse. the boot design was intended to take in slanted/"Cuban" heels__ hence, the "standard" spec. again, on MTO they will make it as per your order, unless you ask for advise/suggestions before you put in the order.

IMO, you need to know [it] before you fack with it. otherwise, tweak @ your own risk.

incidentally, i just took receipt of my personal "build up"__ SemiDresss in Horsehide x Bison leather captoes & backstays :: 'Swing" last :: single leather mid-soles on Vibram composite half-soles [close trim + natural] with 1/4" lowered block heels.... a slightly similar make up as yours.

not really every1's cup of tea, but [the most important thing] it's to my taste & style. the swing last made them travel ready [out of the box]. so, i gladly obliged & been LUVin' them since. wish i din't prang my camera on the kitchen floor, but will mosdef post pix asap.

Last edited:

Davo

Reaction score
I really like the boots, I think they're great! I did my research before placing the order and am totally happy with the decisions that I made.

My only complaint was about the width of the heel (an $8 fix) relative to the size of the boot. It looked very different to the pictures that are posted on here of the same boot, in the same configuration, but in larger sizes. Should have taken a picture.... It's hardly worth banging on about...... but if they are more comfortable to walk in after being sanded down, that tells me there was something wrong to begin with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads