1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. meso

meso Senior member

What size are you? If you don't end up liking them and they're in 10 I'll buy the off ya.

2. climbinglife

climbinglife Senior member

I've only owned White's with the C461 Last but have tried on Smoke Jumpers without it. Not sure where the info came from that there isn't as much "arch ease" in the 461's than other lasts...That would be news to me and i've owned my boots in one incarnation or another since 2011. The 461 has more of an upturned toe box than the other lasts. Doesn't seem pointy or bulbs to me but i'm also a 7D so if you go wider, maybe.

I have plenty of wiggle room in the toes (I have average feet) and it really hugs the foot as it travels back from your toes (not sure how the lingo goes here) but for a work boot, I don't think you can beat it. When I order my HH SD's in January, i'm gonna go standard last or swing last just to change it up.

But I have never heard of there being any less Arch ease in this last as compared to other lasts...I would think the opposite actually as the last is built as a workbook last and you would presume to think your gonna be on your feet all day...

3. CityofChamps

CityofChamps Well-Known Member

@b-ewing Glad you brought up the classic work boot, I've been thinking of a pair myself. The upturned toe can look drastically different from boot to boot, and the Asian market is full of them, but I have no idea how they fit. Here is a pair of work boots owned by bl@ster, that he put up a while ago similar to your desired specs.

[​IMG]

@climbinglife You have a great looking pair of "work boots," do you have any recent pics, I'd love to see them again.

Does anyone know if there is a top down or footprint view of the different lasts? It would be great to be able to see the heal and toe shape of all the lasts side by side.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  4. climbinglife

I'll get some up in the next few days :)

And yes the toe can look very different within the same last depending on what sole you have on there.

5. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Lol!, sorry Meso, 10.5E and they have been on my feet since 2:45 this morning and are still on, and no need to take them off yet...they are keepers. Aside of the weight(which I will get used to), they are awesome! For anybody who doubted, YES, White's makes a dress shoe! More than happy to share the build with you which was nothing really exotic, and for less than a pair of plain Jane Alden's and far more comfortable, they are worth it!

James

6. spurs61

spurs61 Senior member

7. spurs61

spurs61 Senior member

8. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Love Bl@ster's collection and these may be my favorites. He had those based off some really boss bump toe work boots. Just love em. As far as last comparison photos, Empty Garage always has the goods C461 vs SD http://s.ameblo.jp/emptyg/entry-11748550535.html And here http://emptygarage.jp/smokejumper/index.html From my understanding, this last can be less appealing from the #55 because 1) it has a narrower toe box, 2) the weight is disproportionately distributed on the ball of the foot, and 3) not as much arch support, if that's your thing (it's not an original Whites last- think wesco)... Oh well, in no rush to buy. will probably obsess over this (and all the little details) for about 6-8 mos before ordering! My next unanswered question is whether Whites will do a SJ boot with the packer uppers (cooler vamp and counter pattern IMO). Wesco does it, so should White's, right??! Put Blaster's boots with this stitch pattern, done and f*cking done [​IMG]

9. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Yeah, after my initial reaction of "hey, I wanted the same shoe in brown", and have worn them for a day, I love them. They are more rugged than my black ones but still classic and elegant. More of a-goes with tweed shoe- than the dressier black ones. I actually have seen historic redwings that were along these lines that were marketed towards plant foremen and factory management.

James

10. CityofChamps

@b-ewing
    If your talking about where the upper, heel counter and toe vamp come together, my boots have the same stitching as the packer above. I have seen smoke jumpers stitched like blasters boot; seems to be an inconsistency.

[​IMG]

11. WorldWideWafflz

WorldWideWafflz Senior member

What is a blasters boot? Are you talking about the lace-to-toe.

12. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Yep that's what I'm talking about. Love it. Did you special request that? It's not the norm for SJs

13. climbinglife

Can anyone help me out here and explain the difference in ordering the "700 Sole" and the "Composition Half Sole" Image searches seem to say they are the same thing. When I get to ordering my SD's I want i guess what looks like the "Split Sole" where it doesn't travel all the way through the heel, and there is a gap under the arch where the leather is visible.

Thanks, i guess i should know this stuff by now lol

Vin

PS: Horse Hide Two Tone SD's getting ordering at the end of the year :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  14. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

From what I have seen I believe the half sole version of the 700 is called the 705, please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

James

15. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

SD HH on 705

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Good stuff. Standard or lowered heel?

17. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Glad they are working out. I didn't realize when I read your first post about them that you had not ordered the thicker sole. I can see how that would be a surprise. But I think the thicker sole looks fantastic. Really turns them from oxfords to classic work oxfords (but with some style).

18. CityofChamps

Bl@ster is a member that has posted pics of a crazy amount of boots and owner of the burgundy classic work boot I posted above. You can go back and find his pics on this thread and many of his boots show up on a google image search of White's boots.

I did not request this stitching, but I also didn't custom order my ranchers either. I got mine from White's ebay store, so they came as is. I actually prefer the "standard" way of the heel vamp over the upper, but didn't know that they did the packer that way. Going back to bl@ster's boots, that boot looks so clean and I have been in love with the burgundy #8 for a while now. There is a guy on Instagram that has a bad (meaning good) looking pair of White's work boots (C461) with medallion toe cap, vibram 100, in #8 that I have been coveting recently. It sounds like I'm the same as you, it's not about the money, it's about the obsession of figuring what I want before pulling the trigger.

19. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

1/4 lowered, but had the heels sanded down to a slight taper__ much less than the std heel

20. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

When I talked to Kyle this past week, he stated that the #461 does not have as much Arch-Ease(TM) as the standard SJ, which he claimed has the most out of all the White's lasts. I am pretty sure that the #461 is the standard Hathorn Hi-Line last, i.e. Buffalo Boot company. Which led me to my conclusion on my next pair of boots being Nick's Contender Ranger 6" padded collar. BTW, I am having a fire sale on e-bay in size 14. Chippewa, Mason, Durashock, Corcoran, Dunham, and more to come.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014