1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior Member

Just spent the last 20 minutes reading up the net on oiling or conditioning rough out leather, mainly information on saddles. Saddle rough out is generally oiled (but split opinion here as well). I guess the leather will turn out a bit like the one gregornz posted, protectors (against water) will turn out like the photo above. I guess it depends on personal preference and life style the way you condition or protect, but the end look and feel will be quite different.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014

2. CityofChamps

CityofChamps Well-Known Member

Here is a strange juxtaposition: every time I see that Mad Magazine face, I wish I was the one that knocked his tooth out and yet every time I see a Huberd's can, I want to buy it to put on my boots.

But what if I buy the Huberd's and then think of Louie every time I apply it? Don't know if I want to risk it. Haha

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. CityofChamps

I've warn the boots around the house for the last few days and about four hours outside today. Still trying to find the perfect tongue fold and haven't conditioned them with anything yet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior Member

Just received samples of brown oil tanned and brown dress. The brow oil tanned is at least twice the thickness of the brown dress.

I'm going to have to think about this for a month or so.

5. meso

meso Distinguished Member

It would certainly make someone's day.
    Starting to think Louie is getting kickbacks for posing with grease tubs!

6. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior Member

I don't need the money. I made all I need already. [​IMG] I just use Huberds because it is the best I have found or been shown to condition leather. Real simple, not difficult to understand, concept ......[​IMG].

7. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior Member

Quote: Yep, oil tanned is thick. I had my CWB's leather lined in addition to ordering brown oil tanned. I'm not sorry I did it but I have been shocked at how long it is taking to break them in. The upper shaft around the ankle is still stiff after wearing them almost daily for 4 months. They are almost there though and I have no doubt they will last me the rest of my life with proper care and a few resolings. That is the reason I ordered them with the brown oil finish. It has been very uncomfortable and downright painful along the way though. but I have no regrets.

The next pair I buy will most probably be SD's in bullhide or Bounty hunter's in black oil finish and I'll have those leather lined as well.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014

8. 4characters

4characters Senior Member

Lol, my BS SJ’s have gotten broken in a bit, but are still uncomfortable… That said, right now I’m wearing my most comfortable boots and they used to hurt my feet so bad I almost gave them away…[​IMG]

@LouieBailie more pictures of your 1940's White's please. [​IMG]

9. mogili222

mogili222 Senior Member

What is the leather on these? Is this Red Dog with Bull Hide? Also these are the Bounty Hunters correct..

[​IMG]

10. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior Member

Quote: That's what I don't understand. My black roughout SJ's were a little stiff but within a few weeks they weren't uncomfortable any longer. They aren't fully broken in yet because I've been concentrating on wearing in the CWB's. I don't understand how the SJ's in roughout could be easier to break in than the CWB's with brown oil finish. Isn't black roughout just black oil finish turned inside out? Why would it be so much easier to break in?

11. gregornz

gregornz Senior Member

^ As per our conversation above, it turns out that the black roughout might not simply be a reversed oil tan :eh:

12. CityofChamps

I think the rough out is the oil tan turned rough side out, but people have mentioned before on this forum that the rough out is much easier to break in. Why, I don't know.

13. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior Member

According to the samples I just received from Whites, I can confirm that brown rough out is the oil tanned turned rough side out.

I have a pair of rough out Chippewa service boots. They SEEMED easier to break in because, I suspect, my ankle and other pressure points slid easily past the smooth inner leather.

14. andy b.

andy b. Senior Member

Yes, Red Dog and Brown Bullhide Bounty Hunters. They are leather lined as per White's recommendations for Bullhide. These probably get the most wear of any pair of boots I own.

15. mogili222

mogili222 Senior Member

Thank you for the response. Does Red Dog darken quite like the regular Brown when you apply Obenaufs? Tried to look for pictures but could not find any of this leather oiled.