Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. climbinglife

climbinglife Senior member

Just realize LP will darken your boots at least one shade, maybe more depending on how heavy handed you are with it.

2. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

What do people think about two toned boots in general. I am thinking about a Bounty Hunter with the Vamp and the Counter in Brown Oil with the uppers in something lighter like the Distressed Smooth or the natural Chromexcel or the Red Dog..

3. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

^ I've always thought lighter vamp and shaft with darker heel and toecap looks cool...

4. climbinglife

climbinglife Senior member

I agree with this!

Since I don't own anything in Black, I have been thinking about doing up a pair of SD's in a 461 last, Black CXL for the lowers and Natural CXL for everything else.

5. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

What leathers would look good with the Brown oil heel and topcap? Distressed smooth or Natural CXK are an option but again I am afraid of the color bleeding from my jeans onto the lighter color.

6. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

You can log into your Bakers account here

I always thought that two tone smokejumpers look great when the front of the boot (vamp) is one colour, and then the whole back of it (counter and upper) is the other colour. There aren't many examples of it around that I can find, but I love these semi-dress in the same kind of philosophy:

[​IMG]

I based my upcoming work-boots on this idea, except mine are brown bison with brown oil roughout up front, so I imagine there won't be such huge contrast.

Having said all that, these are my favourite smokejumpers which have that brown oil and red dog contrast:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

7. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Senior member

Hey @gregornz - you know which leather choice that is for the upper/counter? Or the roughout portion for that matter? Thanks!

8. TH3515

TH3515 Senior member

9. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

I'm pretty sure it's distressed roughout and british tan... looks good huh?

10. CityofChamps

CityofChamps Well-Known Member

Picks from Ultrasound boots Facebook.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

I have found that the standard brown rough out comes in a few shade variations and Whites will try and match he shade to the two tone accordingly. There seems to be only one brown rough out, and a few shades I`ve see, aside from the distressed version.

12. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

Like 4characters said, I'd go with the LP, and you may have to treat them fairly regularly if you are getting concrete on them. The chemicals in concrete are rather harsh and will draw the oils from the leather. Make sure to wash the concrete off before it dries. Wet leather boots are no problem, dry concrete-coated boots are bad. :D

13. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

To me, one of the big draws of White's is the variety of leathers that can be combined. There are very few two-tone pairs I've seen that look bad, and most look awesome!

14. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Love these two combinations..

The first one seems to be Red Dog with Distressed smooth. Any idea what is on the bottom boots?

15. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

Here's the link. It's brown oil and black oil... the brown looks quite red though!

That's interesting! I always thought that the variation was because of the photos, but if they match them to the other tone that's really cool. I suppose each hide has variations even if it's tanned and dyed the same?

I thought you could order any leather as a roughout? For instance you could have a roughout bullhide if that was what you wanted? I ordered the brown roughout in the boots I have arriving. I actually referred to it as 'brown oil roughout' when I was speaking to Kyle and he never said anything, nor seem to misunderstand. I did actually consider using the brown voyager roughout (as seen here) because it seems to be much the same colour, and I was assuming that the brown roughout would be as tough (tough to break in) as the brown oil is, and that the voyager would be softer and better for a dress shoe. In the end they made the boots so fast I didn't have a chance to change it.

I was originally going to get the distressed roughout (based on the pic above) because I liked the 'milk chocolate' colour so much, but when I was in Hong Kong I went and met with the ultrasound boots guys and had a look at their stock, the brown roughout they had was such a rich and full shade of brown that I changed my mind. I'm just hoping that I can keep it in that beautiful condition through a strict regimen of brushing and not oiling. But at some point do you need to oil a roughout, like it or not - right?