• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LouieBailie

Reaction score

WWII USA officers boots.

(Setting up to treat my JM Weston Alligator 180s with Huberds after lucci gets me the custom made shoe trees I ordered from him.....)

Here are more leather items I use Huberds and Bick-4 to treat and maintain. 12 Moonlander and 49 and 51 Phantoms

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me just voice a plea that we keep this a friendly, boot-oriented board. This White's board has always been my favorite boot board and I would hate it to deteriorate like others have. The OSB board imploded because of posting and counter-posting petty arguments and personal attacks. And the Viberg board has become more of a fashion board than a real boot board; which is fine, that's what Viberg has become, but I feel like if you don't own a $2000 pair of Edward Snowden boots and a $10,000 Bergdahl watch that you don't belong. But this board has become one of the last of the friendly boot-boards. I'd hate to lose it.

gregornz

Reaction score
^^ yeah, good call linafelt. I shouldn't have responded with such comprehensive dismissal to poor old LB, after all, he's just wanting to express himself. And, it's the old saying; two wrongs never make a right. Anyway, let's just move on! :D

So, moving on, can anyone ID which model this third pic is?

This is a semi dress;

This is a smokejumper?

Is this a classic work Boot?

trvlr472

Reaction score
Well, after reading all this about over conditioning the leather I hope I didn't overdo my SJ's and CWB's when I got them 4 or 5 months ago. Each has been LP'd 2 or 3X in that period and oiled once or twice. I quit doing it when I was scolded about it a few months ago but the reason I did it was because when I got them they were both being worn in very wet, snowy, freezing conditions daily to the point that they got saturated more than a few times and they get worn for 14-16 hours and sometimes far longer every day. There have been times when they are worn for 40 hrs straight. My thought was that with that kind of wear they might need to be conditioned more often but I quit doing it when everyone came unglued a few months ago when I admitted LPing them twice right after they were new a few weeks apart. Some one really came unglued when I said I LP'd the inside leather lining which I've done twice because Obenhauf's actually recommends that on their site. I doubt I'll be doing that again.

Now they just get washed with plain water every week or so and if the water doesn't bead up at all I oil them. The CWB's will get LP'd once the first snow sets in and then I'll do what I am doing now. Waiting until water doesn't bead up when they get wet. I wear the CWB's all the time now that it is summer and I don't get to brush them every day so I just wash them every week. I guess I should start carrying the brush with me when I leave town because they do get covered in dust and dirt regularly. Sometimes I do, however, wipe them down with a wet rag at the end of the day if they are really covered with dust and dirt.

I have noticed that LP does tend to attract dirt if I don't brush them real well after it has soaked in. For that matter, the same with the oil. I suppose that maybe Saddlesoap would work just fine except for boots that are used in extreme conditions in the winter as mine are. For the summer months maybe I'll try Saddlesoap. The CEO of White's says we can use that.

Last edited:

andy b.

Reaction score

12 Moonlander
Louie, I think you're a crazy bastard, that's why I laugh at most of you posts. You have some cool footwear. But I have to say, YOU HAVE A FREAKIN' MOONLANDER. YOU'RE THE BOSS!!! All I have is the Moonlander's baby brother, the Pugsley. Okay, back to White's Boots....

andy b.

Reaction score

Well, after reading all this about over conditioning the leather I hope I didn't overdo my SJ's and CWB's when I got them 4 or 5 months ago.   Each has been LP'd 2 or 3X in that period and oiled once or twice.  I quit doing it when I was scolded about it a few months ago but the reason I did it was because when I got them they were both being worn in very wet, snowy, freezing conditions daily to the point that they got saturated more than a few times and they get worn for 14-16 hours and sometimes far longer every day.  There have been times when they are worn for 40 hrs straight.  My thought was that with that kind of wear they might need to be conditioned more often but I quit doing it when everyone came unglued a few months ago when I admitted LPing them twice right after they were new a few weeks apart.  Some one really came unglued when I said I LP'd the inside leather lining which I've done twice because Obenhauf's actually recommends that on their site.  I doubt I'll be doing that again.

Now they just get washed with plain water every week or so and if the water doesn't bead up at all I oil them.  The CWB's will get LP'd once the first snow sets in and then I'll do what I am doing now.  Waiting until water doesn't bead up when they get wet.  I wear the CWB's all the time now that it is summer and I don't get to brush them every day so I just wash them every week.  I guess I should start carrying the brush with me when I leave town because they do get covered in dust and dirt regularly.  Sometimes I do, however, wipe them down with a wet rag at the end of the day if they are really covered with dust and dirt.

I have noticed that LP does tend to attract dirt if I don't brush them real well after it has soaked in.  For that matter, the same with the oil.  I suppose that maybe Saddlesoap would work just fine except for boots that are used in extreme conditions in the winter as mine are.  For the summer months maybe I'll try Saddlesoap.  The CEO of White's says we can use that.

You sound like me. I definitely over-conditioned when I first bought my White's. Like you, now I hit them with LP once per year, or if they seem "dry". If I was walking through 6" of water all day or hiking through burning embers and ash or the jungles of VN, I would probably condition them much more frequently.

Oh, I have the leather lining in my BHs, and I use a rag with a light coating of LP to wipe it down once every year or two.

I also try to brush off my footwear at the end of each day to get the fine grit off of it and out of any creases because I do believe it definitely collects in them and starts the cracks. I have two pairs of White's and a pair of RW IRs that are over 4 years old with a lot of wear, and zero cracking.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed about the cracking. Keep the sides well conditioned - that is whatever method you use - but not dry, and keep that dirt and grime brushed away. That's what starts the leather cracking as it acts like sandpaper once it gets into any crack. Brush, brush, brush...

trvlr472

Reaction score
Yeah, I never gave leather care a second thought until I bought the White's and joined this forum along with reading everything about leather care I could find other places. I never even considered fine dust particles getting into those creases and abrading the leather. I guess I should start brushing mine every day.

I did have a pair of Filson Chukka's I wore every winter for 7 years and they held up great. I used them in the snow and walked through deep water in them all the time. Filson recommended oiling them often and they even said the more often the better. I oiled those a few times a year. Never brushed them and never cleaned them before I oiled or LP's them. They got LP's a few times once I discovered Obenhauf's. I was shortly after I decided to give them a real good LP job with oil right after that when they just cracked open and started to fall apart. They also got soaked and frozen a few times right about the same time. That's when I bought the White's to replace them.

trvlr472

Reaction score
Quote: I think Louie is probably OK. I remember joining a forum years ago and pissed off just about everybody right off the bat because they didn't know me and didn't know how to take my posts or they read something into my posts I didn't intend. I'm still on that forum 3 or 4 years later and we get along great.

Obviously, Louie is into old classic stuff and quality leather goods. I'm fine with that. But if I see a pair of leather boxers/briefs? I'm gone!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif

trvlr472

Reaction score
Quote: I know what you mean but I haven't gotten even the slightest inkling that because I'm not well off I don't belong here. Let's face it. This is a style forum and most of the people on here have money and make very good living's. Who else is buying multiple pairs of $500 boots? Or even one pair for that matter? When I told the guy's I work with that I just spent $1400 on new boots they just about passed out at the thought of $600 for one pair but as I explained it's really cheaper down the road and the pain just comes with the initial investment. Besides, I don't like cheap foreign junk and I'll wait until I can afford quality if I have to.

I've never saved a dime trying to pinch pennies on things I buy that I'm going to use the **** out of and clothing is something I use pretty damn hard. Especially when it comes to footwear. The fact of the matter is that you really can't afford to go the cheap route when it comes to some things. Then there is the fact that cheap footwear with crappy arch support can possibly cause back and knee problems after years of wearing it. It's just like the $300-$400 a month I spend on vitamins and herbs. Pay now or pay later. Can I really afford it? Nope, I just do it anyway.

As for those that can buy a few pairs of White's or even something double the price without even thinking about it I have no problem with that because I like rich people. Without them I wouldn't have had the various jobs I've had over the years. As long as they get it on the up and up I think it's great.

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can easily afford a basic pair of White's every two weeks, as long as I buy absolutely nothing else.
No kids, no car, no mortgage and make sure you live in a hotbed of nothing, and it's doable.

Just sayin' there's more than one "poor boy" on here, and is that ever a relative position in this world!

Oh, and Rivendell-ist alert (you know who you are LB).

ojaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure TBH, not really familiar with the species.

CityofChamps

Reaction score
I got my farmer ranchers today. First the specs...

Farmer/Rancher
Brown oil tan
Soft toe
8"
No lining
Standard trim
Cut top
Pull loop
Brass eyelet and hooks
Plain toe
False tongue
430 sole
Standard height Cuban heel
SJ last
Single brown midsole
8D

First impressions:
-The upper is stiffer than I thought and the ball off the foot and toe area is more flexible than I expected.
-The 'Cuban' heel is great. It makes the flow of your natural gate seamless.
-I could have maybe gone down half a size but I have the 3/4" in the front like I've seen recommended.
-The arch fits perfect and is not near as pronounced as I thought it would be. I don't even notice it.
-The soft toe is comfortable and I think I'll like the look of it over time.
-Not impressed with either set of laces.

Quality boot overall. Going from my RW pull-ons that I wear now to 8" cut top thick leather, is going to be a fun break-in period.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads