1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior Member

Most of what some of you recommend is complete overkill.

Over treating leather is usually not good for it.

Sometimes I think people are just playing with their shoes.
    Quote: How do boots stretch out from being a size too big? This doesn't make sense to me.

2. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior Member

"In fact, it's amusing that you list so many shoes and then claim that all of them are fine after significant wear. That's a serious rotation to put through a lot of wear that would actually test your footwear."

I have quality leather boots, jackets, and briefcases some in the range of 30--55 years old. I payed premium money and follow the tanner/manufacturer recommendations and treat them....

Example:
    I just got a pair of boots back from Wesco that I bought in 1980 after the 3rd rebuild. That is a proven track record with examples of leather goods.

After a careful extensive research, I use the best product(s) available that is MADE IN USA. I live there and support companies there.

The major products I use; Bick-4/Huberds pay for themselves many times over. I have found that these 2 have no peers in the treatment of leather.

I treat new and retreat every 6-12 mos, that way the leather will last the longest. That is not over treating that is protecting an investment.

If you don't like my posts use the ignore option

3. gregornz

gregornz Senior Member

@Louiebailie;

You’ve made it quite clear that you don’t like internet forums, and this internet forum has made it quite clear that it doesn’t like you. What would a real man do in this situation? Seriously? Maybe you can be the bigger man and move on? Teach those internet BSer’s a lesson in humility? :thumbs-up:

You have a big engine in your car, and a lot of leather footwear. Congratulations. Maybe your time would be better spent tending to them in the real world, rather than in geeking out in cyber-space? Besides, this forum is hosted under the domain styleforum. I would think that an overall-wearing hillbilly such as yourself, who clearly doesn’t understand the meaning of subjective interpretation and personal preference, and who, when he doesn’t get his way, moves to bullying and personal attacks, would be well advised to run for the aforementioned hills before his predilection for frequenting mens fashions portals on The Internets outs him as the faggy prep-boy he actually yearns to be. :nodding:

Your aggressive attitude, holier-than-thou answers and unsolicited advice are tainting what is otherwise a supportive and enthusiastic community where genuine people come to share their questions and concerns in an atmosphere of mutual trust and recognition. This a community which will continue to flourish long after your trolling and CAPITAL LETTERS are gone, and for my part I hope that this occurs sooner rather than later.

:hide:

4. ojaw

ojaw Senior Member

LouieBailie is aggressive, sure, but there's obviously knowledge and experience behind what he says.
    Internet aggression is always off-putting, but the length of time that he has owned and cared for his boots should inspire people to look past his rants.

Many of us on here are new to good leather shoes/boots and their proper care Louie is someone who has many years experience with that.
    If a pair has lasted for 20/30/40 years in spite of someone 'doing it wrong' I want to hear about it.

And obvsly, Louie be cool.

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Distinguished Member

This thread was a lot more enjoyable read before this guy came on here.

6. westie187

westie187 Senior Member

+1

7. westie187

westie187 Senior Member

Crane'ed

8. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Ime you're right that Huberds softens leather and makes it water resistant, but thelastquestion is right that it is harmful to the leather in the longterm. No less an authority than DW has posted this in response to a question I had that praised Huberds:

Makes perfect sense that grease will attract particles that will create microabrasions and lead to larger cracking. For made in the US products, I agree that Bick 4 is an awesome conditioner. SnoSeal's good too. Have you also tried GlenKaren products?

9. mogili222

mogili222 Senior Member

I think moderation is the key here. I have come to realize that most people condition and treat their boots with oils a lot more than necessary. Some leathers like the White's standard leathers might not show it right away, but other leathers like chromexel do show the effects of over treating and oversaturing the leather with oils. There are a ton on pictures in the 1000 mile thread where you can see that the leather is completely soaked in oils and the leather just looks all soft and stretchy like it was just taken off the animal . I am also surprised that some people think that is how leather should look and feel for the boots to be comfortable.

I personally treat my boots with Obenaufs or Redwing boot oil once or twice a year. I just put a light layer or two and leave them in the trunk of my car on a hot day. Granted I do not have any pairs that are 10/15/20 years, but the ones that I have had for over 4 years have been holding up fine and I have wore them in the winters too here in MN.. I plan to do the same with my White's.

I am a sucker for the shine or patina that I have seen develop on the White's boots leather after a little while and I am not going to do anything to my boots that jeapardizes that from happening..

10. climbinglife

climbinglife Senior Member

Since we've been talking a little about Obenaufs LP, which I've used and has darkened my leather a few shades, and Huberts Shoe Grease...does anyone have any experience with Venetian Shoe Cream and Bick 4?

I actually have a bottle of Venetian and Bick 4 but have never got around to using them, just the LP. Huberts i've never used.

Curious if anyone has any experiences with 2 latter products and how they compare to LP.

Thanks guys.

PS: I enjoy this forum thread and the help its given me the past few years. Lots of good info here...I hope it stays that way.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

11. 4characters

4characters Senior Member

Just contacted White’s to ask a couple of questions and they were very helpful. They really go above and beyond to make sure they properly serve the customer.[​IMG][​IMG]

12. linafelt

linafelt Distinguished Member

13. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior Member

WWII USA officers boots.

(Setting up to treat my JM Weston Alligator 180s with Huberds after lucci gets me the custom made shoe trees I ordered from him.....)

Here are more leather items I use Huberds and Bick-4 to treat and maintain. 12 Moonlander and 49 and 51 Phantoms

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

14. linafelt

linafelt Distinguished Member

Let me just voice a plea that we keep this a friendly, boot-oriented board. This White's board has always been my favorite boot board and I would hate it to deteriorate like others have. The OSB board imploded because of posting and counter-posting petty arguments and personal attacks. And the Viberg board has become more of a fashion board than a real boot board; which is fine, that's what Viberg has become, but I feel like if you don't own a $2000 pair of Edward Snowden boots and a $10,000 Bergdahl watch that you don't belong. But this board has become one of the last of the friendly boot-boards. I'd hate to lose it.

15. b-ewing

b-ewing Distinguished Member

Lina, I totally and completely agree and support your plea. But I just gotta point out that it's literally one guy causing (or at least instigating) all the ruckus

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014