1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Ask him about his shenanigans on other forums

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  2. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

I think, in general, lowering the heel is not a good thing. The SJ's I just picked up have a lowered block heel and I am not digging it as much. It may be that, the 38 last, or both, but the arch support doesn't seem as good.

3. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Except you're the only one who seems to be unilaterally disliked. Prior to you, this was a very congenial community of people who would happily exchange info and opinions without constant mention of the same dumb products or a constant tone of unwarranted cockiness. The only helpful post I've ever seen you make was about leather thickness, and that was both a long time ago, and 1 of 230 posts that you've made. When you're at less than 0.5% helpful, that doesn't bode well.

Either change your tone or move on. This is not the first time it has come up, and I imagine @LA Guy is getting tired of having to chime in here. I can't imagine his patience will last a whole lot longer.

4. spurs61

spurs61 Senior member

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Louie, the difference is that everyone else gets along and is respectful of one another. I'm trying to give you a fair shake here. I really dislike banning people just for being disagreable, but you are quite disruptive to the community.

Oh, and please, before you accuse me any anything, I am/was highly involved in the MMA community and am/was a wildland firefighter, and I hang around with tons of straight talking, blue collar, no nonsense guys, or whatever, so I don't pull that on me. I'm not saying that you were going to, but others have tried, before.

Cheers,

Fok.

1 person likes this.
  6. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior member

Yup good idea, just ask. If I remember correctly last one was when the "groupie" made a false statement about me. I offered him $1000.00 USD to prove their statement. Yea, please ask what happened.....

Hint: I still have my $1000.00 USD . That "groupie" has lots of people [​IMG]at him.

7. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

I'm so done with this bullocks.....

1 person likes this.
  8. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

So, back on the topic, my British tan #38 SD's were shipped to Baker's with the wrong hardware, stuff happens. Baker's checked them against the build sheet and sent them back to White's to have them corrected. Despite being eager and excited, I'm glad Baker's is on top of it and making sure their customers are taken care of properly-props to them.

James

9. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Luckily a hardware swap should be pretty darn quick. Hope it's not too long!

10. chicken1616

So, James, how do you feel about the "clown shoe" aspect of the #38?:D

11. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

Thanks! I have a pair of beckmans, so that's a good measure... they are very low in the heel, but very comfy too! Now I'm really in two minds - I think I like the aesthetic of the lowered heel better, but I don't want to make the boot uncomfortable and throw off the balance. I guess that White's wouldn't offer a lowered heel if it was a big problem though...

12. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

I understand that. All I'll say is that I don't enjoy this thread like I did before Louie entered, and that makes me a less engaged member of the community. Without engaged community members, styleforum wouldn't work.

Thanks! :)

1 person likes this.
  13. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

At first I was really self conscious, they are so funky looking from above, but the wiggle room in the toes negates any esthetic insecurity and you start feeling like you are on to something that nobody else knows-like wearing a furry winter hat with floppy ears that everyone thinks is ridiculous looking but your ears are toasty while everyone else freezes (yes I have a couple of those hats).
    The double stitched standard trim exaggerates the width of the clown toe so I ordered close trim on my forthcoming pair. I also think that if you are a narrower width, the clownish-ness is minimized, I wear an E so they are rather wide, in fact, I think I probably could have and should have done a D as the swing out toe box really does do away with toe cramming issues that caused me to go up to the E which then causes heel slip issues for me...but I would discuss the width differences in the lasts with your dealer before changing it.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, despite me thinking they look strange from my perspective directly above, they get lots of compliments, particularly from the ladies, as they are not your generic looking boot.

James

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  14. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Gregor,
    I don't have experience with the lowered block heel but the lowered Cuban heel, on my particular boot, felt like I was leaning backwards due to the shape of the arch support and how it is supposed to hold the foot. That said, I also have the commando half sole so it is possible that the missing slab of rubber in the heel stack from the sole contributed to the lowering even more (it measures 3/4" from bottom of midsole to floor). I am having Baker's rebuild the heel to get the height back to normal.
    Since they are already going to have to rebuild the whole heel, I was thinking of doing a slightly broader Cuban heel with that sexy taper that Viberg does...anyone had their white's done like that and if so, can you share pics so I can send them to Bakers as a descriptive?

[​IMG]

I found this pic from an earlier post comparing the Viberg heel against the White's, but this is more like a shaved block heel. I am hoping to see some alternative ideas.
    James

15. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

My lowered block heel feels just right for walking, etc.

I have had a taller heel (on Vibergs) and did not like it -- felt like I was teetering. All depends on one's taste, gait, etc...

16. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior member

In boots/shoes and most all of all footwear all the lasts are built for the ball foot to be lower than the heel.. as in the natural gait.

If you want to alter the stock setup just call the maker and ask what the limits are in order to keep the ball lower.

If it approaches level or higher than the heel it will make the shoe/boot uncomfortable.

17. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

That is basically what I experienced, it wasn't horribly uncomfortable at first (the tendenitis became unbearable though), but it didn't feel "right" for the way the boot supported my feet. When I would stand on a slight downward incline, the boot felt better. As I had said earlier, I think requesting the 1/4 lower in addition to doing a half sole made me lose 1/2" rather than just the 1/4", but I'm no expert on it. Have shown these before but again for context:
    This is Cuban heel, 1/4" lowered, with half sole...looks mighty low to me and not comfortable

[​IMG]

This is standard block heel and feels fantastic, but does look a little high-heeled pumps

[​IMG]

18. A10ACN

A10ACN Member

Newb posting: I lurked SF over the past few weeks just to read this complete thread. I specifically joined SF to ask LB some questions via PM (vs wasting space on here). He answered quickly (multiple times) and gave me good feedback, including telling me when he didn't have experience in a subject, which I appreciate. Unlike some folks here, I've been wearing custom boots for about 20 years with and without custom made and fitted orthodics. I feel pretty knowledgeable, enough to offer advice, but I learned a lot from LB's posts on here which is what led me to join. As I said, I read this entire thread and there seems to be a schoolgirl mentality that has ebbed and flowed of, "OMG! Look at my new boots! Do you love them??!!!" "OMG, YES! Those are to die for! Now, look at mine again and tell me they look great!" In between those types of posts there is some good info in here, which is what made me devote so much time to reading through it. Maybe it was the way I grew up but that type of group congratulatory masturbation tends to get on my nerves. And I gotta be honest, there are some weird orders posted on here that I can only imagine the looks the guys at White's give each other when they came in. Likewise, I'm not a supporter of, 'there is no such thing as a dumb question...." either. Same thing with folks who live in the US and ask very specific questions in here when White's or Baker's could give the most authoritative answer with a simple phone call or email. Sorry, just my opinions. Maybe having read through so recently, things are more in my face. As for LB, I don't know dude from Adam, except for this thread, but he's freely given information which he bought and paid for and earned through first hand experience over what appears to be years. Not a lot of people do that. (though there seems to be a lot of 'experts' throwing gospel out having ordered 1 pair of boots) As for his attitude, all I can say is I work in a profession of high-strung people and my hobbies involve handmade or customized items in which the craftsmen/artists at the top think pretty highly of themselves. I tell them and my folks that I can appreciate someone who talks Shxt as long as they can back it up. Unless he's a put a lot of effort into pulling a charade on all of us, LB's backed it up with pics and info the rest of us were completely unaware of before he took the time to post here. I come here for the information, not the adulation. Don't know if this is going to get me banned or a group beatdown, but wanted to put up another opinion. Hell, from what I've seen on here many posters won't (can't?) read more than two lines of text before moving on to whatever other shiny object draws their attention for 140 characters. Oh, and before I do get banned(!), thanks EastWestApparel for taking the time to post and provide feedback to folks here. Sorry for the toes.

19. chicken1616

Does anyone have an SJ on #38 last with a regular height heel?

20. spurs61

spurs61 Senior member

Well, again moving on ... on the basis of the advice given, I've decided to order the BH with the standard heel at the standard height. My semi-dress with the block heel are lowered 1/4" but feel just fine to me. I can see though how this might not work as well with standard heel configuration (thanks for the pic, James!).