1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. spurs61

spurs61 Senior member

@jrosenthal - Thanks! This is 11 D in the standard last, vib700 sole. It does look a bit wide in the pic, but that may be the angle and the fact that it's a cellphone pic. The boot fits me perfectly despite the fact that I never sent in measurements. My feet are relatively "normal" - consistently 11D in Alden Indy & RW Iron Rangers and 875s. Regarding Fugazi, I wasn't a huge fan but definitely liked them. I come more from the punk scene of the late 70s, early 80s (I'm a bit older as you can tell). I think my fondness for boots dates back to then.

@linafelt - Yes, a classic indeed. I have a pair of natural cxl Bounty Hunters on order now, much like those of hollowsleather from early in this thread. I think this is a classic look too. Can't wait for them to arrive - Kyle estimates 6 weeks.

I must confess also that, while some may look down on Red Wings, I really like the aesthetic appeal of their classic boots - the Iron Ranger, the 875, and now the new Harvester. There is just something about the design that I like and I wear them in rotation with my White's. However, White's is superior in build, leather, and comfort - no doubt.

2. Bingham

Bingham Senior member

I hear ya- this is my second pair and I'd only worn them a handful of times before the strap tore. Fortunately, it has been too hot for boots for the most part down here in the durty south.

3. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

I don't think anyone here looks down on redwing (and if they do that's just snobbery-their heritage boots are awesome, my feet just can't wear them) in fact many here admit to owning them. I was a die hard redwing owner back in the day (had 2 pairs of steel toe 6" padded collar work boots with the Diamond tread and a pair of 40 year old loggers) and they were the best "work" boots I ever owned for $150 new and $15 used respectively (the 20 year old loggers are most likely now rolling 45 years old and I'm sure on someone's feet as we speak). That said, they are a huge company in comparison to White's and are mass producing their products (very well for mass production btw) as opposed to custom build. For the price of paying a livable wage to a US worker, I feel $200-300 for a pair of redwings made in the US is high, but acceptable, same price for an imported boot made by laborers earning .50 cents a day is just an insult. Now add another $150-200 for a custom build, to your specs, from any of the northwestern companies, and it's actually a bargain.
    All a matter of perspective.
    I always like to think about what I feel my labor is worth and apply that to products I buy that are made domestically or in a country where laborers are well paid.

James

1 person likes this.
  4. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

I have 3 pairs on order right now, another pair of SD-swing in Brit tan (baker's got them last week and are shaving the block heel down), another pair of retro oxfords in brown dress, and a pair of nicks lace to toe oxfords....the waiting sucks.

My first pair of SD-swing in black are too painful to wear now (the heel slip has aggrevated all kinds of problems including my tendinitis and rubbing at the top laces becuse I lace them too tight to keep the heels down), so I need to send them to bakers for heel liners and I am going to have them put the 1/4 back in the lowered heel as the higher heel alleviates the Achilles tendenitis....but it will be a few weeks without them.

James

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  5. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

To me, the Iron Ranger is very close to a perfect boot aesthetically (except for the weird tall and straight back to it). it was in fact the "gateway drug" boot that got me willing to enter the world of high end work boots. I had worn Chippewas, Caterpillers, and Sears mechanic shoes for 20 years, when I first saw a picture of the Iron Rangers. I had never spent more than probably $65 for a pair of boots (usually got em off the sale rack), and 300 for the IRs seemed too much by far. Eventually I broke down and ordered a pair, but the fit was just too weird. I tried several sizes and widths, but they are just so long and narrow I couldn't get them to work. But then I started thinking, Well, I spent 300 on Red Wings, why not try these White's for 475... Oh, and here's a pair of Viberg seconds from the back... And then it's all over...

All of which is to say, if the Iron Rangers fit me, I would happily be wearing them every day.

6. spurs61

spurs61 Senior member

7. spurs61

spurs61 Senior member

8. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

I had he same problem with the IR. I tried them on in the store and tried several sizes but it just felt like it was twisting my foot in a strange way and was too narrow up front and wide in the back. Even tried 2 of the Beckman oxfords and it did the same thing, just couldn't get comfortable in them despite thinking they were esthetically stunning. Redwing only offers the lasts that their shoes come in-like most manufactures. White's is a rarity in that you can request the same boot in various different lasts, hence getting as close to a perfect fit as possible, a luxury worth the extra expense in my book.

James

9. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior member

If you like the Iron Ranger try the RRL Bowery a quantum step up.

10. chicken1616

chicken1616 Senior member

As per request, here is a picture of My work Smoke Jumpers. I wasn't going to do this, but I am selling some Dunham Mountain Masters and Red Wing Iron Rangers on ebay and had my camera out.......
    This is after their weekly wash but before their "Obenaufing"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. LouieBailie

try some Huberds you will never go back to the jello stuff

12. chicken1616

Nick's specifically recommends against turpentine based stuff. I'll just use the Obenauf's.

2 people like this.
  13. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

So much this. All the mentions of Huberd's in the world won't make it a great product.

inb4 "I've been using Huberd's for 40 years, and the owner told me to use 3 gallons each time I use it, and my boots are still boots...so it must be the best!"

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  14. LouieBailie

Absolutely no turpentine just pine tar and beeswax.

It is extensively used by people who wear/work/abuse their footwear, instead of just taking pics then trying to sell them on ebay for full retail price.

15. chicken1616

I'd say pine tar and turpentine are closely enough related to not use it. Interestingly enough, I've been around thousands of men who work for a living, starting with myself, and I've never heard Huberd's mentioned before until I saw it on this site. BTW, the boots I pictured earlier? Not for sale.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. meso

meso Senior member

I wonder if wearing goo'd up boots in the woods with sweaty man feet reduces resale value? Nah, couldn't be. Forget I brought it up.

17. LouieBailie

WHEN I HEAR ABOUT A PRODUCT I RESEARCH IT, NOT DEPEND ON OTHER PEOPLES POSTS.....NO SOLVENTS IN HUBERDS PRODUCTS...

FYI
    Huberd's Shoe Grease Company was founded in McMinnville Oregon in 1921 by Mr. Huberd
    [​IMG]
    himself. He created a shoe grease beeswax formula that was perfect for loggers and kept their boots dry and in excellent condition during Great Northwest winters.

Mr. Huberd then expanded his product line by creating the Shoe Oil and Neatsfoot Leather Dressing formulas. These products were forumulated using no animal fats that can turn rancid, and no SOLVENTS or additives that can damage leather. The products soon had a very loyal following.

The formulas have survived the test of time and are the preferred products for keeping leather waterproofed, conditioned and looking like new.

Directions for general use:

Before treating, thoroughly clean leather and warm to room temperature. Rub grease into the leather with hands or a soft cloth. Carefully grease where soles join uppers and all stitching. Allow to penetrate leather then apply another coat. After shoes have been treated once, apply as needed to maintain waterproofing and conditioning of leather.

(I use a brush and heat to get the leather to absorb the treatment faster and completely. Just exactly like recommended by the current owner of the company).

HUBERD'S SHOE GREASE 30 DAY GUARANTEE
    Huberd's Shoe Grease products are sold under an absolute money-back guarantee providing that the product is being used according to the package directions. If you are disatisfied with your purchase please send us an e-mail with the reason for your disatisfaction. If the remainder of the product is returned in good condition within 30 days you will receive a refund.

COMPARE that TO THE OTHER PRODUCTS OR THEIR GUARANTEE...

18. chicken1616

Huberd's may be good stuff. Both Nick's and White's (two competing companies), however, recommend Obenauf's, and think enough of it to have it private labeled to sell under their name. The bottom line is, though, it works for me. Why take the chance on something else? I highly doubt if most shoe care products will actually destroy leather, but over the long run, the footwear may not last as long. But, there is probably no real way for a lay man to quantify that. Use what you like. If anyone cares, the retailer Murdoch's carries both products![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. aaronjared

aaronjared Active Member

Is your goal to have everyone who owns a pair of White's using Huberd's? I don't understand your consistent lobbying for this particular product as if you are Mr. Huberd, himself.

From the past few months of posting, it's obvious that your shoe collection is extensive. Where do you find the time to wear out so many pairs of shoes and boots to the point where your incredible shoe care would come in handy, and also find the time to post here so frequently? I don't think I'm alone in considering it to be just as likely that their "care" comes in the form of being worn sparingly as it does from using one highly regarded product over another.

I'm not saying that one product is better than the other. Your agenda is puzzling and tiring.

20. meso

meso Senior member

Here we go again.

1 person likes this.