1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. LouieBailie

LouieBailie Senior member

OK now I understand..... his brain hemorrhage did him in also...

2. westie187

westie187 Senior member

Please, Louie. Check your meds, or up the dosage.

3. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Yes, Farmer Rancher on the SD last. I think that technically a smokejumper has to have the big lug soles.

4. LouieBailie

post #44 of 63

Here are pics of 1993 Smoke jumper model Whites boots special ordered with leather soles. They always have had the same type soles and heels, just got new double leather.

Now Vibram has additional soles/heels that are certified fire safe. Not just the 100s anymore.

5. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

@linafelt and @LouieBailie Thank you..

6. broken_oracle

broken_oracle Senior member

Just cleared Week 3 of waiting on my order. Must have greater patience...

7. broken_oracle

And hey I'd like to second @conak's post from last week inquiring about White's insulated "Hunter" model. Anyone here have experience with that boot? (or can anyone point me to a more appropriate thread?)

I'm in great need of a warm, watertight well-fitting very cold weather boot to get through a lot of outdoor time during winter in Chicago. I find most ice-fishing style boots (Muck Boots, etc) while very warm, fit too loose to allow long hours of walking comfortably. I trust the White's would be comfortable, but are they warm enough for long hours in single-digit or below weather?

8. LouieBailie

I had a pair of Whites Hunters insulated with Thinsulate 400, plus some Russell Moccasin triple vamps. I got rid of the Whites because of the weight. I now use a pair Hunters just leather lined or the Russell Moccasin triple vamps and some of these babies: http://heat.thermacell.com/heated-insoles/about/make-heated-boots-with-insole-technology

If you want water tight go Russell Moccasin Triple Vamps, get 12 14 inch high bison/deer/elk/elephant leather and the soles for the ground you traverse. Add the heated insoles and you are set.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. broken_oracle

hmm... would these be the boots you're talking about, @LouieBailie?

10. revrend

revrend Well-Known Member

I picked these up from a seller on eBay a couple weeks ago. They are an Imogene & Willie distressed smooth semi-dress. The original owner couldn't get used to the arch-ease system and only wore them a few times.

I conditioned them with Blackrock Leather'n'Rich, which gave them a lot more shine that I've normally seen on distressed smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

It's amazing how different all leathers can look. This smooth distressed looks nothing like mine, yet is still really beautiful. Might be time for me to hit mine with a bit of oil, rather than just my good ol' Leather Lotion/Lexol.

Speaking of beautiful, I just got a sample of the horsehide that Baker's uses as an exclusive, and holy hell that's some nice leather. Great pullup and great shine at the same time. Really, really tempted. I seem to recall that it's only available in the semi-dress boot, and nothing taller than that. Is that right? I'm pretty partial to 9" Bounty Hunters.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  12. revrend

If this is anything like other leathers with Blackrock, it'll lighten up as soon as I wear them, though it will keep some of that shine for a while. They looked a lot more like yours when I got them.

AFAIK, the horsehide is only available on the SD. But I've never asked. It's a leather I've been interested in for a while. Do you know if it's CXL? Front? Strip? Nicks was trying some out a while back and mentioned to me that they would order some and make me a pair out of it if I was interested. I don't know how much of an upcharge there was for it.

13. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

@revrend beautiful pair of boots.. Is that really the distressed smooth leather? How come it is so much darker.. I have a pair of BHs that have the distressed smooth leather and the leather is a lot lighter..

14. revrend

Yes, it's distressed smooth. I put Blackrock Leather'n'Rich on them and haven't worn them out yet. I've found that though that's generally a non-darkening product, it sometimes will makes things a shade darker for a few wears. When I got these, they were a lot lighter, but seemed a bit darker than other examples of distressed I've seen.

15. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Thanks.. I am actually looking for something to darken the distressed smooth on my boots quite a bit.. Is Blackrock Leather'n'Rich the best option out there or is there something else that darkens leather a lot more...

16. LouieBailie

They or the Birds will do a good job. Triple vamp...

17. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Hate to say it but I think you would be better off with a dedicated winter boots when it gets really nasty. I'm sure an insulated White's would be fine for 85% of Chigaco winters (have spent many there myself), but whenever I went, I always packed my Sorel's (purchased new in 1990-and my go-to snowpocalypse boots) and was really glad I did when the mercury dropped below 10 and we would get 6 days of constant slow snowfall.

James

1 person likes this.
  18. meso

meso Senior member

Fresh off the Fedex truck: white's retro oxfords in black cherry water buffalo with block heel, black eyelets, calf lined, and close trim. Pleased with how these turned out! I'm convinced that at $450 from Baker these are a good deal for anyone looking for a custom Oxford and not wanting to do the wait for a pair of Vibergs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  19. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Truly spectacular! Now who was it that said that you can't wear White's with dress clothes?

James

20. meso

meso Senior member

I will say that the retro oxford last sizing is a little more snug in width but runs long. Works since I'll mostly be wearing these with dress shoes and buffalo stretches. And not so bad I would have sized up. But still, buyer beware here if you have wide feet.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.