Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

^ This chart might help, but I'm not 100% sure it applies to White's.

2. RickyTylerson

RickyTylerson Well-Known Member

I'd call white's or baker's to confirm, you might be right but just to be safe. I've asked them similar questions and don't remember it being real easy to figure out.

3. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

Hey B-ewing! Can I see some more pictures of your brown semi-dress with the double leather soles (that's what they are, right?)

I just changed my order to double leather soles, so I'll have practically the same boot as you! Great minds, and all that.

4. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

@gregornz all too happy to oblige :) I can't recommend the build enough

I will take a few decent pics tonight. In the meantime, here's a teaser
    [​IMG]

EDIT- more pics of my little tanks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  5. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

Man those look sweet! Why do you call them your 'little tanks'? Does that double midsole make then ride tough? How about slippage? Do you ever feel like you could do with more grip?

What kind of treatments have you given that leather? It looks like the points of the toes are losing a bit of colour? Have you seen more brown come through as they age? If so, what effect have any treatments had on that?

Thanks for posting pics!

6. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

Owning a pair very like those m'self, I believe 'tank' is a reference to the weight of said foot bombs.

7. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Haha, exactly! Though I wouldn't trade em for nothin. Double leather soles rule the roost IMO... And now that it's nice weather here in seattle I'm wearing them (practically) daily.

Go double leather, broski. But then again I got a whole closet full of boots so if you want something for all seasons, all terrain you may opt for 269s or 705 half soles.

8. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

Yeah, I got the 269 plus toecaps, I think the all leather soles and no cap would be a little kinder to the feetsies, but it's all good, and they look and feel great.

9. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Got my new SJ's in today. I got the blocked off heel, but didn't want that big overhang so asked Baker's to sand it down -- the result is perfect I think.

BUT, I am almost certain that White's messed up my order again, in a big way (if I am right). I had asked for black CXL leather, and I am almost certain that what I got was Horsehide! Certainly, the false tongues are HH, as marked on the back, and it sure seems like the boots are too. I sort of don't want to believe it, after what I've gone through to get a new pair of boots, and I do love the way these look. But I just am not a fan of White's HH, and this seems like another big goof on their part (unless I am wrong, and only the tongues are HH by some accident). I need to figure that out for sure. Have a note in to Kyle... We'll see...

I the meantime, some pics here:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

The leather sure looks like it is HH.. The creases look like what I see on my SDs which are HHs

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

11. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Fwiw- it's incredibly difficult to discern steer from horse based on visual inspection alone. You pretty much need DNA testing, unless you're talking about shell. Just ask a WWII A2 or engineer boot collector.

That said, you should be able to compare both the cxl and horse strip samples and notice a difference ;)

12. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

^ Nice boots whatever the leather! If they are horsehide, isn't that like going to McDonalds and getting a large fries by mistake?

I changed my order. Double leather soles it is! :nodding:

13. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Yeah, which is why I am not jumping the gun. But as mogili222 points out, there are the telltale creases, even before any wear. And putting a black CXL sample next to it, sure makes it seem like HH and not CXL...

Thanks, they do look great I think. It's funny, like you say it is kinda like a bonus getting the horsehide without asking for it -- both because it would normally cost more, but also because it is advertised as being available only for SDs. If you wanted to get it for an SJ build you couldn't; but if you don't want it, apparently you can!

14. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Horsehide should not scratch as easily as CXL.

just scratch it with your finger. If it scratches ridiculously easily, I would bet it is CXL.

It also appears to not be drum dyed, or dyed through. CXL is not dyed through either. Is horsehide? I suspect it is.

The dimpling/wrinkling you have on the left outer shaft would seem to indicate that it is cxl as well.

I would bet the farm that your boots are cxl.

Which begs two questions from me:

1- If you can't tell the difference, why do you care?

2- Why do you want cxl anyway, especially given how easy it is to scratch and mar, and horsehide's reputation for being tougher and more durable?

15. sleepy94

sleepy94 Well-Known Member

I have two pair of black cxl and it has the same creasing. CXL also comes in a variety of thicknesses. The kittles are usually made up of whatever scrap leather they have around. The kittles on my brown cxl are mos def not production leather as there are tons of imperfections in them. I don't use them and they are only tongue protectors anyway so I don't really care.