Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. winteric

winteric Member

No, my job doesn't require any boots really. I think the packer boot was brought about by guys who used pack mules and horses traveling around mountainous areas back after the civil war, using military style pull on boots but the boot lacked ankle support risking twisted ankles, so they added adjustable laces for a tighter fit also allowing for thick or thin socks. The heel prevents the foot from slipping thru the stirrup, but thats incidental, I believe the heel primarily exists to keep the heel lifted for orthopedic reasons keeping the foot in a more relaxed position increasing body strength and all day comfort. The packer boot is kind of a general all around utility boot in the traditional American sense.

2. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

Does anyone know exactly what kind of glue they use to glue the stacks together and how exactly is the leather stacked heel attached to the leather sole? I can't believe it is just glued. My heel is just fine but there are some gaps where it attaches to the leather sole.

3. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

My thought was that being hand made the fit could be off a little. In other words, the heel and sole might not "match up" leaving a very small gap. The same reason they use gaskets on engines to fill in very slight gaps where the parts don't fit together perfectly.

I would guess though that with leather once it starts getting used and gets wet then dries out then gets cold and hot it's bound to start changing shape slightly. I'd say the above pic of my CWB's frozen and sopping wet illustrates how these gaps could form with use. It was -7 that night. -22 another night. I went and bought a pair of Sorrel's for times like those.

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  4. TH3515

TH3515 Senior member

[​IMG] I'm wearing mine as I write this. They do look mildly eccentric in an office, but they're comfortable, well made (in the USA!), extremely durable and relatively cheap.
    I wear roofers without being a roofer. I wear Farmer-Ranchers but have no farm or ranch. And when funds allow I'm sure gonna get some smokejumpers yet the closest I'll get to a fire is at my living room stove. They're just great boots, and for some reason the SJ last fits my feet better than any other boot I've ever worn.

5. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

Could anyone ID these two pairs for me?

I'm thinking that they are 8 inch and on the semi-dress last.

Thanks! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. RickyTylerson

RickyTylerson Well-Known Member

First one looks like a farmer rancher in brown smooth. Black one is either farmer rancher or bounty hunter in black dress or cxl with a red leather liner. I think both are 8 inch

7. TH3515

TH3515 Senior member

The toe on the brown one has the square shape that is typical for the Smokejumper last. So this would be a Farmer/Rancher in brown smooth leather.
    The second one could be black dress or black smooth leather. Again, the toe looks more like a Farmer/Rancher.

8. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

The bottom one does not have the tongues that join the sides - not sure if this gives a clue

9. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Just got notice that my boots have shipped, and Fedex should deliver them next Tuesday. (Black CXL Smokejumpers.) I had asked Baker's for two day shipping, but they must have forgotten and shipped regular Fedex -- oh well, one more week...

10. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  11. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Very nice resource.

First I've seen of the "hunter" leather, which seems to be a sort of matte-finish oil tan..?

12. RickyTylerson

RickyTylerson Well-Known Member

Quote: those look like 8" semi dress upon closer inspection. if you look at the heel counter you'll see that they have a semi-dress counter rather than SJ/FR. kinda weird, but I remember when I went to White's my brother asked if they could make a semi dress with a taller upper and they said they'd make it as tall as he wanted. explains the tongue thing too.

13. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

That's really good to know. I think a 6" SD is a great option (not sure I dig the 8" tho). Just a wee bit more understated than BHs, because of the counters, but a wee bit more rugged than the standard 5" height

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  14. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Agree on the 6 inch semi-dress idea. Wish I had known before ordering the 6 inch SJs...

15. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

I just ordered my first two pairs of White's! Stoked! Now for the longest two months of my life! :) Here are my specs:

Semi dress

• Toe Vamp Leather: Brown Dress
    • Upper (Shaft) Leather : Brown Dress
    • Leather Liner: Red
    • Toe Cap Leather: None
    • Height: 7"
    • Top: Rolled
    • Pull Loop: Yes
    • Celastic Toe Box: Single
    • Eyelet Color: Antique
    • Eyelet Configuration : Top 3 hooks please, the rest eyelets.
    • Last: 55
    • Midsole: Single
    • Sole: Vibram 269
    • Sole Trim: Close Trim
    • Midsole Edge Color: Brown
    • Heel Shape: Standard
    • Heel Height: Standard

Classic work boot

• Heel Counter Leather: Brown Bison
    • Upper Leather: Brown Bison
    • Back Stay Leather: Brown Bison
    • Toe Vamp Leather: Brown Smooth Rought Out
    • Leather Liner: Cream
    • Toe Cap Leather: None
    • Celastic Toe Box: Single
    • Last: C-461
    • Height: 7"
    • Top: Cut
    • Pull Loop: Yes
    • Eyelet Configuration : Top 3 hooks please, the rest eyelets.
    • Eyelet Color: Nickel
    • Sole Trim: Standard Trim
    • Midsole: Single
    • Midsole/Edge Color: Natural
    • Sole: Vibram 700
    • Heel Shape: Standard
    • Heel Height: Standard

Hooray! :slayer: