Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TH3515

TH3515 Senior member

The Quabaug heel rubber on my F/Rs is 11mm thick – 12.7mm would be 1/2", so it's very close to half an inch. The heels measure 45mm in total, from the bottom of the sole to the top of the midsole. In my boots, they may appear a bit flatter because the boots themselves are pretty huge at a size 12.5. On the other hand, the sharper heel slant and the sleeker overall shape of the Packers will make the heels look more pronunced. But then, that's what they are supposed to look like i guess.
    I like the look of your Packer heels.

2. winteric

winteric Member

Thanks, here's a pic of a little separation on the heel, not much, we'll see after 100 miles! I like the whites packer boot, I like the kind of western style, some of my friends poke fun at my "high heels" but I just shrug off their ignorance, it boggles my mind how one can scoff at a guy wearing a high quality handcrafted in the USA work boot while they themselves stand with their arches collapsed in a pair of junk Payless sneakers. It's amazing to me. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TH3515

TH3515 Senior member

The "Vintage Packer" model seems to have just that (pic stolen from Bakers who sell these boots for an attractive 319$):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2014

4. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

I've got a very small area on both my SJ's and my CWB's that show a little separation. Maybe a half inch or so. i'm not going to worry about it unless they really start coming undone. They are handmade after all.

5. winteric

winteric Member

That vintage packer looks great, I could wait until I wear these out and get the standard heel fixed on when I have them rebuilt, but by the craftsmanship of these White's boots I'll be an old man by then. I'm looking forward to putting an order through Bakers soon, maybe a F&R or BH.

6. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

I don't think it's "stupid" at all. As I have seen in more than one post on this forum there are various "defects', if you will, with White's boots. The right and left boots may not be exactly the same just as the false tongues on both pairs I bought recently aren't exactly the same. Since they are hand made I just feel that they will not be perfect every time as we have seen with some of the more recent posts and pics.

Something that is hand made is just not going to be perfect every time as it might be with a freakin' $1,000,000 CNC machine. Get it? Got it? Good!

7. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

Every pair of my Whites has that to some extent (of course, so does every pair of Wescos). I wouldn't say it is so much that they are all "handmade", it is more the fact that they are a natural material (leather) and not a chunk of injection-molded plastic. That area of the heel sees the most stress when walking and driving when your heel rests on the floor of the vehicle. It is just a glued up stack of leather. As the leather shifts and changes size with moisture content, that is the area that is going to start to separate. It never really concerned me. If a brand new pair showed up with a big separation in the heel, I would send them back to be re-glued. What is shown in the pic just looks like what normally happens.

8. 4characters

4characters Senior member

The separation of the rubber and leather on the heel is something that usually happens with wear and pressure on the leather above the rubber. No harm is done by this, but it is certainly a sign of wear to expect to see with boots with rubber soles that goes under the heel.

9. univibe88

univibe88 Senior member

That's why I don't wear my White's. I just admire them in my closet. :satisfied:

10. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

As 4C says it's perfectly normal. Get half soles instead of full rubber soles, and problem solved ;)

11. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

I don't have full rubber soles on mine and the leather heel has very small separations from the leather sole

12. Neognosis

Neognosis Senior member

Quote: Are you working at a job that requires packers?

Honestly, I like your boots, but we get tunnel vision with this type of thing when you have an obsession with something that the rest of the world doesn't think twice about. They do look out of place, IMO, in a lot of situations. Same with lace to to roofing boots, that have something of a following with some crowds. I never scoff or make a comment, but in my mind I think it's silly to wear them when you don't have a legit use for them. But everyone has their thing, and if we met at a party and you were wearing them, I would compliment them and strike up a conversation w/ you about them.

13. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

True but it's not going to be as pronounced on full leather heels. As time, wear, and the elements take its toll on the boots, the glue between the stacks will deteriorate. Just a fact

14. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

Nothing to do with White's but I keep thinking of buying a pair of those roofing shoes, just because they are so odd. :lol:
    I do understand what you're saying about White's Packers. I have a pair with the pointed Thoroughbred toe and really like them. They are basically lace-up cowboy boots, and in fact when your pants cover the upper portion, they pretty much could pass for cowboy boots.

15. meso

meso Senior member

Do you know how much impact a heel takes with regular wear?
    Boots. You walk on them. They are mortal.
    Plus if you had a pair of $100 new balance sneakers they'd just fall apart after a year.
    Like most arguments in the white's and viberg threads, I have trouble even figuring out what people are even arguing about.