1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. meso

meso Senior member

Hey, I was in line first!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  2. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Well, a plain Jane natural CXL and dress black cap toe'd SD's may be easier to stamp out than the Komodo Dragon with manta ray counters and baby seal tongue you ordered....those endangered species can be a bitch to source.

James

3. meso

meso Senior member

It could also be because I sent them a live komodo dragon.

4. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Great! It probably ate half the staff already, way to shit in the pool!

James

5. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Ankle report: It's interesting, I seem to have solved my ankle rubbing issue by using the false tongues. I put them aside and didn't think much about them when the boots arrived, but because I have a EE width to suit my claustrophobic toes the lacing was very close on my instep and looked a little weird. I decided to try out the false tongues to add some space there, but found the added bonus that they displaced the bellows tongue just enough to fix the ankle rubbing. As Michael Scott would say, that's a win-win-win.

Wasn't into the "kiltie" pattern on the false tongues, but just cut them off with scissors, and the straight-edge there looks pretty good (and will be admired by Fugazi fans...)

6. TH3515

TH3515 Senior member

Though Fugazi almost invariably wore Chucks. Would have loved to see Ian McKaye airborne in a pair of smokejumpers;-)
    [​IMG]

7. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Fugazi- jeezus! Haven't heard them since college. Let me break out my Black Flag T-shirt and peg roll my jeans! Btw. During that era was when I got my first taste of the "Cuban heel" (to keep it White's oriented)....found a pair of 60's era steel toes Redwing logger boots with stacked rubber 2" tapered heel in a Sal-Army for $5. Restitched the loose stitching with dental floss. I wore those suckers daily for 10 years and they vanished mysteriously during a purge or move or something....guess I'm trying to relive my "youth".

James

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  8. TH3515

TH3515 Senior member

Here's a slightly less off-topic pic to make up for the completely off-topic one above:

[​IMG]

I've grown so fond of my Farmer-Ranchers that I decided to get a pair of cheap Hathorn SJs from Whitesriver for those really muddy autumn and winter days, saving my FRs for nicer times.
    Just in case anyone was planning something similar and wondering if the fit and sizing was identical to White's (because after all, they're made in the same factory...) -- it isn't. The Hathorns do have very similar arch support but are significantly wider throughout the whole boot. I would say that there's a one width difference between these Hathorns and the White's, and even with, say, a C instead of a D the fit would not be as precise.
    For their designated purpose as winter / bad weather boots with thick socks they're ideal though.

9. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Like winter rims and tires! Never performs the same but you're still riding in style! I tried the White's for Bakers oxford which according to Kyle is a Hawthorne build and it was a very strange fit compared to the Whites oxford. The toe was very round but it tapered strangely and rubbed my little toes, and the heel was sloppy loose in comparison, almost as if it were shorter and wider than the White's. Totally different design, but I'm sure if you nailed the right sizing it would be good....how could it not be, it's not like going from White's to Sketchers.

James

10. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Right on. I have yet to see anyone on stage with White's, though Chris Lopez of Rock*a*teens had on some nice Red Wings at their show in New York a couple of weeks ago:

[​IMG]

Okay, LAST off topic post for me!

11. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

And here, back on topic, are my White's with modified "straight edge" style false tongues:

[​IMG]

12. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Wow! If you didn't know what you were looking for you wouldn't notice them. James

13. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

^^ You've got straight edge! [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. CityofChamps

CityofChamps Well-Known Member

Since we are all over the place, @linafelt your fireplace looks exactly like mine. Hardwood, brick tiles, brick surround; I did a double take at your pic. I like the cut tongue.

15. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Funny. Was your house built in 1948, and never remodeled..?!

16. climbinglife

climbinglife Senior member

17. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Neat idea! I've never liked the kiltie pattern much either. Gotta love a solid DIY solution!

Sadly Minor Threat broke up before I could see them. Still one of my favorite hardcore bands.

18. gregornz

gregornz Senior member

Does hardcore and White's mesh? I think that's more doc martens isn't it? :)

19. jrosenthal

jrosenthal Senior member

Truly hardcore would wear Gripfast. I'm getting the impression that White's/Wesco/Nick's are for US Doc martens/Gripfast wearers who have grown up. Just as Loake and Trickers are the next graduation in the UK ;-)

James

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  20. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Right! Though there was always a group of us that wore Red Wings or Caterpiller work boots; though I confess to finally buying a pair of doc Marten shoes in about 1992...