• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4characters

Reaction score
New boots
biggrin.gif
:

4characters

Reaction score
Specs:
Custom White's Smoke Jumper
Counter Leather Brown Smooth, Hardware Brass Eyes & Hooks, Celastic Toe Box No Thanks, Height 10", Last Standard, Steel Toe No Thanks, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Smooth, Toe Cap No Thanks, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Smooth, Top Cut Top (standard), Midsole Single, Leather Liner Cream, Size - Width D (medium), Lace Design Lace to Toe, Sole Vibram 700, Toe Cap Leather Color Does not apply, Edge Brown, Size - Length 10

Exdeath

Reaction score
Is there a significant difference in durability between Brown Dress and Brown Smooth?

Also, someone posted this picture of black CXL boots a while ago (http://cdn.styleforum.net/9/96/967074a6_image.jpeg) - I really like the way there's a sliver of brown showing on the edge of each leather panel right at the seam. As far as I can see, that's not present on the other stock black leathers as they're dyed black all the way through, which means that the only way I'd be able to get the contrast effect like that would be to order black CXL or Dress Brown like this(http://cdn.styleforum.net/7/7c/7c859f96_img56675390.jpeg) - would that be the case, or am I mistaken?

misterjuiceman

Reaction score

Is there a significant difference in durability between Brown Dress and Brown Smooth?

Also, someone posted this picture of black CXL boots a while ago (http://cdn.styleforum.net/9/96/967074a6_image.jpeg) - I really like the way there's a sliver of brown showing on the edge of each leather panel right at the seam. As far as I can see, that's not present on the other stock black leathers as they're dyed black all the way through, which means that the only way I'd be able to get the contrast effect like that would be to order black CXL or Dress Brown like this(http://cdn.styleforum.net/7/7c/7c859f96_img56675390.jpeg) - would that be the case, or am I mistaken?

Is the brown smooth the same as the brown dry tan? I've handled the black dress and black dry tan extensively (I'm assuming they perform analogously). From what I've seen, they seem similar in terms of durability, but the black dress might resist scuffs a bit more. It also helps that it's dyed all the way through. The black oil tan that I've handled is very durable—I'd go with their thicker oil tan leather if durability is your main goal. I thought that both the brown dress and brown dry tan felt kind of plasticky, and wouldn't be something that I'd personally choose for a boot. 

I should also mention that the black dry tan isn't dyed all of the way through, like black CXL. Personally I prefer the feel and look of black CXL. I can't comment on how its durability compares, but like all CXL, it'll show scuffs.

edit: I mixed up the names of the black dry tan and black oil tan leather when I originally wrote this post, hence the comparison of black dry tan and black dress. The black smooth (black oil tan) that I've handled, is very thick, and very durable, much more so than the black dress leather.

Last edited:

andy b.

Reaction score
According to both White's and Kyle at Baker's, the brown smooth is the heaviest-duty brown White's offers. If you order a pair of standard Smokejumpers in brown, for actual wildland firefighting, the leather will be brown smooth. I have no idea how it compares to the brown dress.

The upper shaft on my SJs is brown smooth and I don't find it plasticy. It did take a while to break-in though.

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
According to both White's and Kyle at Baker's, the brown smooth is the heaviest-duty brown White's offers. If you order a pair of standard Smokejumpers in brown, for actual wildland firefighting, the leather will be brown smooth. I have no idea how it compares to the brown dress.

The upper shaft on my SJs is brown smooth and I don't find it plasticy. It did take a while to break-in though.
Sorry—the oil tan leather isn't plasticky at all. When I wrote my post, I got the names mixed up and thought that the dry tan leather was the smooth, not the oil tan. My samples didn't have "black smooth" on them, only "black oil tan," so I didn't realize until you guys posted.

Last edited:

Paul Travi

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm about to place an order via Baker's.
I need to clear one question, does the lining on the Bounty Hunters affect the size in a way that is mandatory to size up half?

Thanks!

misterjuiceman

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm about to place an order via Baker's.
I need to clear one question, does the lining on the Bounty Hunters affect the size in a way that is mandatory to size up half?

Thanks!
The shoe is lasted after the liner is attached to the upper, so it shouldn't affect the size, as long as you're not counting on it to stretch in order to fit.

ben2t

Reaction score
How you guys pick the right shoe trees for your White's boots? I have a White's Classic size 7.5, advice will be appreciated.

revrend

Reaction score
I've gotten by just using a cedar tree that's sized for the same size as my pair.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads