• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

2eleven

Reaction score
I notice one of the available options on White's is the top lace garment - either a hook or an eye. I usually see an eye as the top garment for speed hook work boots, but I'm not really sure the advantage. Does the top eye help prevent them from completely delacing if they come untied or something? It is faster for me to lace my hiking boots which have no top eyes, but admittedly if they come untied, there are only 2 or 3 rows of speed hooks to come undone. Maybe for a taller work boot the top eye saves a lot of relacing. If not, I'd rather just have hooks to the top. Anyone know?

hollowsleather

Reaction score
This trend of chromexcel rough out is silly.

When you reverse chromexcel you hide its best qualities and amplify its drawbacks.

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Misterjuiceman and EastWest, thx for the input. i think distressed is the way to go. In fact it may be an even better option than natty cxl roughout becuase its a bit thicker. I'm probably going to go for unlined, so a little extra thickness would be nice.

@Hollows, i hear ya in regards to the wasted opportunity in evo of some smooth side natty CXL. In fact, I am heavily weighing whether I should just bite your style on your build. My photo library is all stacked up with your feet pics- haha!

But speaking as someone looking for a natural shaded roughout that most closely resembles WWII era service shoes, it seems to be about the most accurate (in terms of color) material available these days.

And concerning patina development, its like comparing apples to oranges IMO. You develop a completely different type of patina on roughout leather as you would on its smooth side counterpart.

That said, I sure as **** have no intention on ever ordering reverse shell anytime soon!!

Last edited:

revrend

Reaction score
I think it's interesting that OSB's rough-out chromexcel is actually a chromexcel variant designed specifically to be rough-out.

I like rough-out leathers, but haven't handled a chromexcel that is better rough-out.

daizawaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I notice one of the available options on White's is the top lace garment - either a hook or an eye. I usually see an eye as the top garment for speed hook work boots, but I'm not really sure the advantage. Does the top eye help prevent them from completely delacing if they come untied or something? It is faster for me to lace my hiking boots which have no top eyes, but admittedly if they come untied, there are only 2 or 3 rows of speed hooks to come undone. Maybe for a taller work boot the top eye saves a lot of relacing. If not, I'd rather just have hooks to the top. Anyone know?
If you use leather laces, that top hook can often slip, and the eye just gives that extra security. Also, if you wrap your laces around your ankle, that eye lets you wrap the laces in the same direction, without the u-turn on the hook.

cwmi

Reaction score
All this talk of natural CXL I had to show off how nicely the patina is developing on mine.
Got these in August and wear them about 3-4 times a week.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda going with this ... to me the boot looks like it's seen some real use , not just office duty.

Yeah, a beauty -- Viberg CXL I believe.
Though the White's posted above is surely great as well!

cwmi

Reaction score
Yeah, a beauty -- Viberg CXL I believe.
Though the White's posted above is surely great as well!

Yeah , I love the Viberg Service boot, and is that one on a different last than the standard service boot ? The toe seems more upturned. I love
Vibergs, but have stuck with White's because of the arch support. I have flat feet so that high support really helps.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's their 310 last. Really cool I think. I owned a pair but couldn't quite roll with the high heel so sold them. Thinking now of trying that last but with a slightly lowered heel... There is definitely less support than White's, but you could maybe use an insole.

cwmi

Reaction score
It's their 310 last. Really cool I think. I owned a pair but couldn't quite roll with the high heel so sold them. Thinking now of trying that last but with a slightly lowered heel... There is definitely less support than White's, but you could maybe use an insole.

Yeah... 310 last in Icy Mocha CXL or Cigar shell Cordovan...I would have to sell a pair or two of my White's to afford that though.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah... 310 last in Icy Mocha CXL or Cigar shell Cordovan...I would have to sell a pair or two of my White's to afford that though.

What size are you? There is someone on another board getting ready to sell a Viberg size 10 in black HH on the 310 last. I think they are close to new, and would be presumably at a bargain price

But yeah, they are not cheap new, that's for sure.

cwmi

Reaction score
What size are you? There is someone on another board getting ready to sell a Viberg size 10 in black HH on the 310 last. I think they are close to new, and would be presumably at a bargain price

But yeah, they are not cheap new, that's for sure.

I'm usually around a 10.5 , 11 and I think I'd end up divorced if another pair of boots showed up. I've recently gotten into bourbons and a steady flow of bottles have been coming in so I don't want to push my luck ! LOL

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're a 10.5 or 11 US, those Viberg 10s would probably fit you perfectly, and I expect they'll be going for less than $600. But if not, at least you've got the bourbon to console you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads