• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Gents

New to Whites and have been doing a lot of sizing research lately but need a bit more specific of an answer.

For reference I'm a perfectly snug Alden Barrie 11.5D and Viberg 11.5E (standard width)

One stockist I have been looking at has a White's 55 last boot in an 11E and 12E only.
What one would be closest to the boots I already have (Assmining 11.5E is ideal - not an option)

Thanks in advance.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stretches way too much.
I’ve not experienced that. I don’t doubt that you have, but I do have to wonder exactly why and how much. I haven’t spent much time here lately but I’ve not come across anything that would indicate this to be such a rampant issue with CXL. I mean CXL is used in an awful lot of boots and shoes.

chicken1616

Reaction score
Have 4 pairs of CXL. Couple of pairs of its identical cousin, Domane. Same thing. All of my other 20+ pairs of Pacific Northwest boots that are other leathers have not done this.
If this has not happened to your pairs or it is not a concern. please ignore this post.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have 4 pairs of CXL. Couple of pairs of its identical cousin, Domane. Same thing. All of my other 20+ pairs of Pacific Northwest boots that are other leathers have not done this.
If this has not happened to your pairs or it is not a concern. please ignore this post.
Well, actually I was just trying to get a bit more detail and trying to find out what exactly was going on.

chicken1616

Reaction score
For me, the issue is that they stretch out and there is essentially much less support. This is most apparent with the uppers, where the two sides stretch to meet in the middle and cannot be tightened any more. I ordered two pairs of boots for uniform in my new job, and since they were being used in the same duty, i figured is it was pretty good experiment. The one pair are Nicks 6" in Max Support leather, the other Bounty Hunter's 7" with black smooth lowers and lined black CXL uppers. I believe the lining mitigated the stretch some, but the Bounty Hunters are still at that "meet in the middle" point after 3 months (and less wear). I kind of figured this would happen, and I don't need as much support in this job, but I will not get CXL boots any more. Maybe a jacket though.

chicken1616

Reaction score
Like this

Attachments

• IMG_7687.jpeg
    IMG_7687.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 172

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like this
Yeah, I’ve just never experienced anything like this, and you say this has happened with multiple different CXL boots from different bootmakers? This almost looks like what one might expect to happen if one gets the wrong size. I do wonder if you might be able to make this better if you tried a different lacing pattern.

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just chiming in on the whole CXL thing. I have several pairs of CXL boots and several pairs of shoes. They do tend to crease more - and it depends on how the creases form. Most pairs I havevn't had a problem but one pair of shoes had some bad creasing. It's great for low maintenance - yes, it scuffs easy but easy to rub out. But I've never had a problem with it stretching too much and losing form/support.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just chiming in on the whole CXL thing. I have several pairs of CXL boots and several pairs of shoes. They do tend to crease more - and it depends on how the creases form. Most pairs I havevn't had a problem but one pair of shoes had some bad creasing. It's great for low maintenance - yes, it scuffs easy but easy to rub out. But I've never had a problem with it stretching too much and losing form/support.

‘Yeah, that’s why I find this whole stretching problem he’s experiencing so odd.

chicken1616

Reaction score
the only footwear i have worn for the past 10 years (except for working out or beach), on the job and personal. are PNW boots, mainly White's and a few Nicks. When I lace CXL (or Domane) boots I can literally see the leather stretch significantly. The other leathers do not do this. That is where that comes from. If you don't lace your boots tightly, it probably will not happen. This is not from mis-sizing. The non CXL boots in equivalent size/last/etc. have not done this. I have worn non CXL boots for 12-14 hrs a day for weeks, and never had this happen. The lowers gets sloppy, too, on CXL lowers. That is why I tried the smooth lower/CXL upper on the Bountys. I have pair of horsehide CXL's. Same thing.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the only footwear i have worn for the past 10 years (except for working out or beach), on the job and personal. are PNW boots, mainly White's and a few Nicks. When I lace CXL (or Domane) boots I can literally see the leather stretch significantly. The other leathers do not do this. That is where that comes from. If you don't lace your boots tightly, it probably will not happen. This is not from mis-sizing. The non CXL boots in equivalent size/last/etc. have not done this. I have worn non CXL boots for 12-14 hrs a day for weeks, and never had this happen. The lowers gets sloppy, too, on CXL lowers. That is why I tried the smooth lower/CXL upper on the Bountys. I have pair of horsehide CXL's. Same thing.
I’ll give you this I haven’t worn any of my CXL boots that extensively nor that long. I just simply have a big enough rotation I don’t find myself needing to do that. Then again your the first person I’ve seen have this problem so I just had to ask.

chicken1616

Reaction score
The Nicks that started at the same time, but have more wear

Attachments

• IMG_7688.jpeg
    IMG_7688.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 153

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics