Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

does anyone have actual pic of sd`s with steel toe vs. celastic? Would there be any noticeable difference between the two? I am assuming there would be a straight crease highlighting where the steel toe box is.

2. zakurie

zakurie Well-Known Member

I'm considering selling a pair of burgundy cxl SD's with a medallion toe cap in size 9D. They are gently used, and just had them resoled. Any interest?

3. gd1944

gd1944 Active Member

Hey Guys!

I finally got the chance to make some comparison between different Heel Hights of the White's Boots.

[​IMG]

Double Midsole + 1/4 Inch Lower Heel (Left) vs Double Midsole + Standard Heel Hight (Right)

[​IMG]

Double Midsole + 1/4 Inch Lower Heel (Left) vs Single Midsole + Standard Heel Hight (Right)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

4. slide13

slide13 Senior member

I don't like the lower heel...in both cases the boot looks like it's falling backwards to me.

5. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

yup, my thoughts exactly.
    Thanks for the pics. I`ve always wondered about that

6. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

came across this pic where the achilles part of the sole is closer trimmed where most white`s i`ve seen has protruding edges. Talking about how smooth the leather on the achilles part seams perfectly down to the sole. Although this boot actually has two row stitchings and not closely trimmed at all
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

7. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

do all you guys really pick the curved heel? i think this heel looks better standard height or lower 1/4.

[​IMG]

8. slide13

slide13 Senior member

I really strongly prefer the tapered heel. I don't mind block heels in general, most boots have them, but I think the White's version looks a little klunky. Tapered is also more comfortable to walk on. I had one pair with a block heel and I don't think I'd make that selection again. I also happen to really like the look of their tapered heels, it's one reason the SD is my favorite boot.

9. slide13

slide13 Senior member

I should add that my girlfriend hates my White's because of that tapered heel however....so there is that.

10. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

same. I like the tapered heel .:slayer:

11. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

i didn't want to take a $600 risk so i choose the block heel and also had it lowered 1/4. short small guys like me with really tall heels is bad combo. single leather vibram 430. i think i will be happy as long as its not bulbous like redwing gt lol. think i got 2-3 weeks to go.

12. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

^wise path, xwound. down the line, if you ever have a change of heart, you can always do a very slight [Viberg-ish] taper to them when you replace the heels.... already thought about doing just that for my 2-tone build.

13. knucks

knucks Senior member

2-4 weeks to go for mine..hoping the 2 :)

14. Bingham

Bingham Senior member

I received my first pair of White's Boots for Christmas: Semi-Dress w/ Rough Out Distressed toe, British Tan upper, standard trim and heel, Vibram half composition sole, antique eyes and hooks. They are true beauts. I'll try to get a pic or two up one of these days.

Quick question about boot care: can anyone explain the difference between the White's Boot Oil, Leather Protector, and Leather Preservative?

Also can such products be used on the rough-out leather?

15. gd1944

gd1944 Active Member

The White's Oil and Preservative are both Beeswax based, you can consider them the same thing.
    While the Leather protector is vegetable based.

As for my own experience, I'd choose the Beeswax Based to condition your 7oz oil-tanned leather like Distressed and British Tan.
    But for the rough-out leather, if you apply any of these, it will darken the leather and make the surface smooth. You'd better not apply anything if you care for the appearence.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012