• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
My left boot (distressed) has started squeaking. I've been waering these for maybe a couple months.
It's not a surface squeak, happens when I flex the boot. Ffs.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Is there a noticable difference between black cxl and black double shot? It seems to have replaced black chromexcel on afew build platform options.

Based on very cursory research, it appears that Black Double Shot is basically Seidel's version of Horween's Black CXL: teacore black combination-tanned, pull-up leather. Same basic approach, different tannery.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
My left boot (distressed) has started squeaking. I've been waering these for maybe a couple months.
White's have said in the past it's a warrantable defect, so they should fix it if you let them know.

I also noticed in their recent Rose Anvil collab factory tour that White's are now using a lot more fabric between the leather layers in the internal construction of the boots (around 12:20 in the video). They're now putting a full-length piece of fabric between the insole and the midsole, and another piece of fabric over the shank/shank cover once it's been fitted.

This seems like an excellent design tweak to me, and should hopefully prevent squeaks being such a problem in future. If you do send them back to be fixed, you could ask them to do this with your boots (if it's not standard procedure now anyway), which would hopefully stop any squeaks from reappearing.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
White's have said in the past it's a warrantable defect, so they should fix it if you let them know.

I also noticed in their recent Rose Anvil collab factory tour that White's are now using a lot more fabric between the leather layers in the internal construction of the boots (around 12:20 in the video). They're now putting a full-length piece of fabric between the insole and the midsole, and another piece of fabric over the shank/shank cover once it's been fitted.

This seems like an excellent design tweak to me, and should hopefully prevent squeaks being such a problem in future. If you do send them back to be fixed, you could ask them to do this with your boots (if it's not standard procedure now anyway), which would hopefully stop any squeaks from reappearing.
Sadly, living in Europe. I'd have to wait until maybe christmas to send them back. Hoping the squeak doesn't get worse or it just solves itself in the next couple days.

I saw that rose anvil video too, sweet looking smokejumpers he's got there.

klank74

Reaction score
Has anyone with the Honey Vibram outsoles experienced this? The one on the left is fine, but the right one has developed almost like a hard “glaze” over it. I was wearing these for work (diesel mechanic), but the double midsole was hurting my feet on the concrete, so I’ve been wearing them casually, but honestly not all that much lately. The right boot has become rather slick on hard, smooth surfaces. I don’t know if it came into contact with a chemical at work that caused this, or if it’s just a defect. It seems to get worse when I go a long period of time without wearing them.
F025B57E-AE5C-4C84-8EE5-5156E207FFAA.jpeg
DA4D129D-D45D-4F42-B6CD-B71CF21BA718.jpeg

climbinglife

Reaction score
Sadly this has become increasingly common over the last few years. Mine happened after 7 months. I was told when I sent them in they are getting a few a week with squeak issues.

Percivilla

Reaction score
Sadly this has become increasingly common over the last few years. Mine happened after 7 months. I was told when I sent them in they are getting a few a week with squeak issues.

Well crap.

Yeah, my squeaky boots are definitely getting worse. Sounds like ducks ****ing when I walk around the office now. Going to try the talcum powder thing for a couple weeks and reach out to Kyle if that doesn't fix it. This sucks, these boots are perfect and I really don't want them meddled with.

roz77

Reaction score
Can anyone compare the 55 last, the 5050 last, or the MP last to either of Alden's Truebalance last or Truman's 79 last? I wear a 10E in the TB and a 10EE in the 79 last. I'm assuming a 10EE in any of these White's lasts would probably work for me, but I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
Well crap.

Yeah, my squeaky boots are definitely getting worse. Sounds like ducks ****ing when I walk around the office now. Going to try the talcum powder thing for a couple weeks and reach out to Kyle if that doesn't fix it. This sucks, these boots are perfect and I really don't want them meddled with.
Yeah, ducks ******* is pretty on point for my left boot. Right now it's just the one duck pleasuring himself though... Goddammit these boots fit like a glove, but if it gets worse I may just have to do something.

climbinglife

Reaction score
I think thats the problem I've come to as well...Mine were awesome, and then the squeak which for me happened late according to Kyle. I wanted to deal with them but I work inside so it was much more apparent when you walked. If I were on a job site i might not care. I tried the powder thing...worked for a few days and then right back at it. They ended up giving me brand new pair for all the problems i had with them.
21 weeks and counting now :(

I hope these end up being ok because if not, they might just end my decade and half love affair with White's.

Percivilla

Reaction score
Yes, it's pretty frustrating. I've tried so many different boots and these are just perfect, they're all I wear. I had a couple of meetings down at head office yesterday and felt like a twit walking around "ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree".

I can feel the layer of leather under the ball of my foot sliding against the layer underneath. These boots have hundreds of kms on them, mostly unpaved, but they've never been soaked or anything, and I don't have sweaty feet. They've had a pretty easy life.

Oh well, see how they go and send em back over the winter (Sorel season up here) if they need it.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I've got mild squeaks in a pair of Bounty Hunters and my MPs. It is a bit annoying but would be moreso if I worked in some quiet office environment. Thankfully it seems like they're using a lot of canvas between leather layers these days to combat this issue.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
Yes, it's pretty frustrating. I've tried so many different boots and these are just perfect, they're all I wear. I had a couple of meetings down at head office yesterday and felt like a twit walking around "ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree ree".

I can feel the layer of leather under the ball of my foot sliding against the layer underneath. These boots have hundreds of kms on them, mostly unpaved, but they've never been soaked or anything, and I don't have sweaty feet.
My black boots squeak on linoleum, but it's definitely the commando outsole.
The distressed brown share the same exp. With yours. I can feel the "rub" in the ball of my foot, and well, "quirk, thump, quirk, thump, quirk" gets a little old when you're inside.

Percivilla

Reaction score
My black boots squeak on linoleum, but it's definitely the commando outsole.
The distressed brown share the same exp. With yours. I can feel the "rub" in the ball of my foot, and well, "quirk, thump, quirk, thump, quirk" gets a little old when you're inside.

Just in the last few days it's getting loud enough that it's very noticeable outside as well, walking across parking lots, sidewalks etc. Less noticeable on grass and dirt but still noticeable. If the talc doesn't do anything I'm going to have to stop wearing them out of embarrassment.

DG123

Reaction score
Can anyone compare the 55 last, the 5050 last, or the MP last to either of Alden's Truebalance last or Truman's 79 last? I wear a 10E in the TB and a 10EE in the 79 last. I'm assuming a 10EE in any of these White's lasts would probably work for me, but I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts.

In the White's Semi Dress (55 last) my size is 12.5B and my Alden Indy Boot (Truebalance last) size is the same, 12.5B.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads