• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicken1616

Reaction score
Any recommendations for what to treat the edges of my midsoles and heel stacks with on boots used for work as a diesel mechanic? I’ve been using Resolene on my casual stuff and it holds up great, but it really takes a beating on my work boots. I’m wondering if I’m better off just treating the midsole with obenaufs? I’ve heard good and bad about doing that, but wasn’t sure. These boots see lots of wear and contact with oil, grease, coolant, water, and occasionally mud.
I use Resolene. The midsole and heel stack(all the way around) .I am a railroad machinist. I had two pair I ran into the ground in two years( alternated every other day) bottoms were completely trashed. I had both pairs rebuilt into casual wear boots. Back at round two at the RR and have two more pairs.

klank74

Reaction score
I use Resolene. The midsole and heel stack(all the way around) .I am a railroad machinist. I had two pair I ran into the ground in two years( alternated every other day) bottoms were completely trashed. I had both pairs rebuilt into casual wear boots. Back at round two at the RR and have two more pairs.
Thank you. That’s what I wound up using again. Cleaned them up yesterday, gave the edges a light sanding and put 3 coats resolene on them again.

What sole do you like for working on concrete? I have the 430 on this pair and the honey vibram on my second pair. I hardly wear the honey vibram pair because I screwed up and went with a double midsole on them and they just don’t have enough flexibility for what I do. I wear the 430’s much more frequently, but find them much more slick when climbing up on a truck that just came in from the rain or snow. Plus I find that I wish they had just a little bit more shock absorbtion when walking. I was thinking of going with the honey vibram on them too when the time comes, or the 100 white dot.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi man 👋
When I joined this thread almost two years ago, I read your posts but noticed you have been quiet since then : )
Glad you are back.

Last edited:

iamntbatman

Reaction score
What sole do you like for working on concrete?

You'll need a bucket of salt, rather than a grain, for this point of view because it's coming from a combo of experience-tidbits rather than firsthand experience of the actual thing:

I really think something like the Rambler is the ideal setup for working on surfaces like concrete. If you don't really need the front part of the logger-type heel (e.g. for climbing up things or kicking shovels), then distributing your weight across a wedge sole just seems optimal to me. The Rambler gives you the extreme comfort of the Vibram 2021 wedge sole (which I find to be extremely cushioning and slip-resistant) while still having the arch support of the 55 last.

Now, to be clear, I don't actually own any Ramblers (I'd love for someone who does to chime in), but I do own other boots on that sole and a few pairs in the 55 last and I think that would be a killer combination for standing/walking around all day on flat, hard surfaces like concrete.

klank74

Reaction score
I agree, a wedge would be the most comfortable. I’ve had a couple pairs of Thorogoods over the years. However, I’ve wound up on ****** a few times when walking through the snow to get in a truck. I’m getting older and I’ve found I don’t balance back from a fall like I used to.😂 I’ve found the honey vibram strikes a great balance between comfort and traction, but I have no experience with the 100 and wonder if it would be similar, but with better resistance to wear.

klank74

Reaction score
This should have been done a long time ago. Brought my work boots home this weekend and cleaned them up for the first time in almost a year. I meant to do it months ago, but my weekends just didn’t work out that way. I changed things up a bit. I used brown resolene on the edges this time instead of natural since the natural seemed to turn kinda brown over time anyways. Used Huberds shoe grease to condition instead of HDLP. I’ve found the HDLP seems to really attract and hold onto dust and dirt where as the Huberds isn’t as bad, but it also doesn’t seem to hold up as well. The leather laces were close to breaking so I went with the other laces that came with the boots. All in all, they cleaned I up better than I thought they would. Dawn dish soap still cleans greasy work boots up better than any saddle soap I’ve tried, but they definitely need conditioning afterwards.
A79E3037-5E3E-4F68-8CB7-3940DCDD3CF4.jpeg
DDE94A60-EF5C-40DE-9359-01899EE7F05C.jpeg
2E5F003B-2DEA-4B97-8D4D-E9DB0CBA6DAF.jpeg
24714D4D-2290-43EB-9D48-D5331466D2AD.jpeg
5B7E7C1C-DA70-42B8-A0B2-8BFE290A83BC.jpeg
BC117E85-0936-42CD-896D-EA280F9B728D.jpeg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@klank74 They look great. The welt stitching looks perfect.
I remember you recommended this configuration when I was considering black Bs.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! This pair turned out pretty good. Too bad it only took whites two tries😔
I hear you bro, we all have been through that journey 😂
But when (and/or finally) White’s gets it right, their boots are second to none!

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Any recommendations for what to treat the edges of my midsoles and heel stacks with on boots used for work as a diesel mechanic? I’ve been using Resolene on my casual stuff and it holds up great, but it really takes a beating on my work boots. I’m wondering if I’m better off just treating the midsole with obenaufs? I’ve heard good and bad about doing that, but wasn’t sure. These boots see lots of wear and contact with oil, grease, coolant, water, and occasionally mud.

Have always used Obenauf's, oil nearly always, HD on an outside only pair i knew would see harsh dirt and water/snow conditions, although have not subjected them to super acidic/alkaline fluids.

Glad to see how nice your work boots cleaned up - always amazed as how resilient the White's leather boots are after a thrashing and good clean up.

Your rough out black leather makes me appreciate my RO Packers that much more.

Cheers,

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has experimented with altering their heel stack height for magnifying or attenuating the arch support?

Have only done this once myself, built a 6" FR minus one layer to mimic a more bulletproof version of the Semi-Dress.

Seems we could emulate say, the high arch of the 690 without giving up the toe box space of the 55.

White's has specific height paired with specific arch geometry for a reason, so I'll probably never tweak my orders again.

Cheers,

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White's has specific height paired with specific arch geometry for a reason, so I'll probably never tweak my orders again.
You have 690 packers with BHs' heels, did it not go well?

klank74

Reaction score
Have always used Obenauf's, oil nearly always, HD on an outside only pair i knew would see harsh dirt and water/snow conditions, although have not subjected them to super acidic/alkaline fluids.

Glad to see how nice your work boots cleaned up - always amazed as how resilient the White's leather boots are after a thrashing and good clean up.

Your rough out black leather makes me appreciate my RO Packers that much more.

Cheers,
I was surprised too, how well they cleaned up. Even the USA made redwings I’ve had in the past we’re starting to look pretty beat up after a year. These things looked almost brand new after cleaning them up.

I’ll never own anything but RO again for my work boots. I was hesitant to order it at first, thinking it would really hold onto grease and oil, but the durability far outweighs that. I think if these has been all smooth finish, they wouldn’t look this good yet.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
You have 690 packers with BHs' heels, did it not go well?

No, exactly the opposite - the 690 Packers with a logger style heel (slightly curved vs flat sloping) in the as-designed height/geometry are the best boots I've ever put on my feet!

My high-arch feet are so happy - wish I would have tried the 690 last years ago ...

Was only wonder if others had tried tweaking the alchemy of White's Arch Ease.

Cheers,

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
I’ll never own anything but RO again for my work boots. I was hesitant to order it at first, thinking it would really hold onto grease and oil, but the durability far outweighs that. I think if these has been all smooth finish, they wouldn’t look this good yet.

My RO boots seem nearly impervious to physical abuse - just brush off the dirt and keep going.

My latest pair (10" black oil tan FRs on the 4811) are smooth out, so I'm certain they will show their battle scars proudly.

Cheers,

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads