1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Anybody know what leather it is in the picture below? Love the color and how it has aged. I was initially looking to get a pair in of SDs in brown chromexcel, however I intend to wear these to work with chinos and a button down and would prefer something that creases a little less and can take a little shine.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

Could it be this? http://www.bakershoe.com/Product/Detail/horse-hide-semi-dress-by-whites/

3. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

4. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Almost looks like a dark or treated British Tan

5. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

6. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Any chance we can get some updated photos of these, Rev? They're mighty beautiful out of the box, so I'd love to see them after a few months of wear.

7. revrend

revrend Well-Known Member

I'll try to get the camera out to get some less awful photos, but the two below are from a couple weeks ago.

I wear them 1-2 times per week. The most significant signs of wear are creases here and there that blend really nicely with the texture of the leather and smoothing/burnishing over the celastic toe. Scratches and nicks show up fairly high contrast at first, but they blend in after conditioning and brushing.

I seem to recall hearing that the commando mini lug half sole is being removed as an option. I love the look of it, but it's my least favorite thing about the build I did. It's worn very quickly.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Love these horse hides! [​IMG] [/quote]

9. univibe88

univibe88 Senior member

Indeed! The HH is beautiful.

I just ordered some Nomads and wish that White's would make them in HH, but they won't :(

So here's the build:
    Black CXL, brown trim, standard heel, 1/4" lift, double midsole, composition half sole, soft toe, close trim. This is my first order that I phoned in (instead of ordering online) because the website doesn't allow soft toe.

Kyle is a real pleasure to chat with on the phone. He said White's running about 6 weeks out right now and Nomads typically take a week or so longer. Hopefully I'll have them by end of April.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  10. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

I am still debating between the HH or the Dress Leather for a pair of SD in the standard last. Is HH worth the $80 or so premium over Dress leather?

11. univibe88

univibe88 Senior member

I think so. It's gorgeous. I wish it was available when I got my SDs.

12. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I agree too. I am a big fan of HH. Waiting on a pair now and will report back when they arrive.

13. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Thank you for the comment. Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is the advantage of HH? Also is the quality of HH used by White's really that good as I understand there are various grades of HH.

14. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Right, that question of quality is the thing. I have never held a pair of White's horsehides in my hands, though I will soon. But I briefly owned two different pairs of Viberg HH's (had to sell because of fit). Honestly, it was just a gorgeous leather. Rich and distinctive, without being overly dressy. A slight glossiness to them, but not as much as CXL. I talked to lots of folks, both at Whites, Bakers, and Vibergs, but also on the boards, and everyone who had HH agreed that it was a fairly thick, and very tough, leather that wore well over the years.

Again, I basically fell in love with the Viberg HH (and I've had boots in oil tan leather and in CXL), but I will let you know how White's seems once they arrive.

15. univibe88

univibe88 Senior member

It's been said in this forum that it's very high quality. The pictures I have seen look nice and looks like it will age and patina wonderfully. Like linafelt said, horsehide has a wonderful luster and depth of color to it.

16. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

The HH Whites used is horse strip or horse butt. Tbh I don't know if you could even use FQHH for boots- may just be shell and horse butt. From what I gather though is its nice stuff.is it worth the $80 upcharge? Probably. It is default with leather lining (required to form over the last from what Kyle tells me), so it's really only about a $50 upcharge

17. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Senior member

Okay guys I'm hoping to order a pair of whites in the next month or so (deciding between whites or nicks newer models). However, I'm really pretty clueless when it comes to leather options such as cxl, distressed leathers, tan leathers, horsehide, etc. With all these options, I'm not sure what would be best for me. Does it really only come down to looks?

In case you were wondering, I will be wearing these in a casual office environment with jeans. I figured I would ask you guys first before I call the guys at bakers. So, would you recommend certain leather types of another? Any help would be greatly appreciated!.

18. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

I would start with something conservative if you're not set on a particular look or feel.
    White's seems to only use quality materials, so you can order their basic make-up with full confidence.
    For a first pair it should be brown or black, no fuchsia or teal until you're a little more confident about the various leathers and the style you want.

19. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Senior member

I forgot to mention, I do own a pair of brown wolverine 1000 mile boots. I really like em, but I just want to purchase better quality leather boots you know? I guess brown or black would be simple and conservative. I just want the best option to wear with all kinds of colors of shirts and blue jeans.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  20. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

At one time I was an all black boots guy. I have come to feel a medium to medium-dark brown seems to go with more clothes and more environments.

Andy B.