1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. meso

meso Senior member

My semi-dress boots were comfy as hell from day 1 (unlike red wing and viberg boots). Definitely shouldn't give you pain. Did you size down too much?

2. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

What type of leather are they? That'll make a difference in expected break-in time as well as how much you can expect them to stretch.

Where in the boot is the pain? Are they too short, too wide, or what?

3. adschu

adschu Well-Known Member

I sized down a half--I ordered them on B&S, rather than via Baker's or similar. They're the red dog roughout. It's definitely a width thing, I think they're too narrow--the pain is along the outer edge of my foot.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  4. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

What size are they? What size (and width) do you usually wear/measure on the brannock?

5. adschu

adschu Well-Known Member

They're an 11. Not sure on my exact width measurement, but I'm an 11.5D in most brands (Allen Edmonds, Alden (non-Barrie), Nike, etc).

6. meso

meso Senior member

That sounds about right to me, size-wise. I wear my same size in White's as Alden barrie last. Strange, because I think of white's as running fairly wide.

7. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Agreed. I think I read recently somebody who had an E or EE foot, and Kyle (at Baker's) told him to go with the standard D width.

I wonder if there is something going on with the boot that is making that happen. Maybe the same thing happened to whoever sold the boot in buy/sell?

8. adschu

adschu Well-Known Member

That's definitely possible. I just checked them again; they are marked 11D. I guess I'll give them a bit more, and sell them if they don't stretch. If anyone's interested in a pair of boots in Red Dog roughout w/ a vibram sole in an 11, let me know...

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  9. StyleGN

StyleGN New Member

So, bullhide and likely CXL. Do any other require lining? Thanks!

10. gfloridafan93

gfloridafan93 Senior member

You don't need lining for cxl.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  11. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

I only know the Bullhide does. I agree with gflfan that I don't believe the CXL does. I'd say contact Kyle at Baker's or White's directly to verify which ones do. I'm pretty sure either on the White's page or on the Baker's Build-A-Boot site if you pick Bullhide it states you must get a lining, so it may do the same for other leathers that require it. At least 4 years ago when I ordered my BHs it did that on one of the sites.

12. mothball

mothball Senior member

Water buffalo needs a lining as well IIRC.

13. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

With regard to sizing and width: I usually wear either 10D or 9.5E in workboots, but when Kyle sent me a 9,5E SJ to try on they felt very tight, surprisingly. I ended up ordering 9.5EE, which I should be getting soon and will report back. All of which is to say that for some of us Whites actually are not wide. One thing that's clear from the boards is that fit is tricky and pretty individual. I think if your boot hurts after three months, it's time to move on.

With regard to lining and CXL: Kyle recommends it, to prevent the well-documented stretching of CXL leathers.

14. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I kinda dig the unlined CXL

15. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Agreed. I have unlined CXL Quoddys, and they're fantastic.

16. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

It's definitely comfortable, but will stretch by all accounts, as it has a fair amount in less than a year on my OSB trench boots.

17. univibe88

univibe88 Senior member

Correct

18. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

19. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

If you like them, they are a good buy. That seller is the official White's eBay outlet, not just some guy selling White's.

20. mogili222

mogili222 Senior member

Thank you..