• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dryvah

Reaction score
Hello All.

All these boots are beautiful!

Im about to pull the trigger on a pair of Whites Classic Work boots. I have a couple of concerns though. Are these boots actually good for construction work? Also, are they a good boots for New England winters?

This is what I plan on buying.

White's Classic Work Boot
Size - Length 11.5, Sole Commando Mini Lug Half Sole, Heel Lifts Standard, Edge Natural, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Chrome Excel by Horween, Midsole Single, Toe Cap Leather Toe Cap (only available on plain toe style), Leather Liner Tan, Sole Trim Close Trim, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Chrome Excel by Horween, Heel Base Standard, Size - Width D (medium), Hardware Antique Eyes & Hooks, Celastic Toe Box Double Celastic Toe, Lace Design Plain Toe, Counter Leather Brown Chrome Excel by Horween, Height 6"

Last edited:

cwmi

Reaction score

Hello All.

Im about to pull the trigger on a pair of Whites Classic Work boots. I have a couple of concerns though. Are these boots actually good for construction work? Also, are they a good boots for New England winters?

Size - Length 11.5, Sole Commando Mini Lug Half Sole, Heel Lifts Standard, Edge Natural, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Chrome Excel by Horween, Midsole Single, Toe Cap Leather Toe Cap (only available on plain toe style), Leather Liner Tan, Sole Trim Close Trim, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Chrome Excel by Horween, Heel Base Standard, Size - Width D (medium), Hardware Antique Eyes & Hooks, Celastic Toe Box Double Celastic Toe, Lace Design Plain Toe, Counter Leather Brown Chrome Excel by Horween, Height 6"

I would say yes and yes..with the proper care. Looks like a great build but I would suggest a double mid sole especially if your going to be on your feet all day.

andy b.

Reaction score

My Bounty Hunters, black dress and rough out....

Well done! The all black with a mix of smooth and rough out has a distinguished look to it.
Are they the standard 6" height? My BHs have 4 pairs of eyelets, then 3 pairs of hooks, then a pair of top eyelets. Yours have 9 pairs of eyelets and I like the look of the extra pair.

Andy B.

Megatron1505

Reaction score
Thank you, they're standard 6" hight. I really wanted to try the contrast of smooth and rough out leathers and I've been quite pleased with the results.

What is the consensus around here for leather treatments? I've been using Huberds Boot Grease every few months.

univibe88

Reaction score

Hello All.

Yes but I would recommend that you don't get Chrome Excel for construction use. Get brown smooth. The smooth leathers are strongest and you'll be happiest in the long run.

I also strongly recommend a full sole. The half sole will wear faster and allow snow/dirt against the leather. A full sole will be more durable.

It sounds to me like you are letting some fashion choices (chrome excel / half sole) take the lead and trying to put them into a work boot role.

I suggest you don't compromise. If you want a work boot, Whites can be bulletproof and will never let you down. But build it appropriately. If you want a fashion/casual boot, Whites also won't let you down. But don't force fashionable details into a work role.

Maybe you need two pairs! That's what I did. Water buffalo and half soles for fashion and smooth leather with a full sole for work.

sleepy94

Reaction score

Yes but I would recommend that you don't get Chrome Excel for construction use. Get brown smooth. The smooth leathers are strongest and you'll be happiest in the long run.

I also strongly recommend a full sole. The half sole will wear faster and allow snow/dirt against the leather. A full sole will be more durable.

It sounds to me like you are letting some fashion choices (chrome excel / half sole) take the lead and trying to put them into a work boot role.

I suggest you don't compromise. If you want a work boot, Whites can be bulletproof and will never let you down. But build it appropriately. If you want a fashion/casual boot, Whites also won't let you down. But don't force fashionable details into a work role.

Maybe you need two pairs! That's what I did. Water buffalo and half soles for fashion and smooth leather with a full sole for work.

I agree with this. As a work boot the chromexcel will hold up but the Standard brown leather will be more durable. The break in time will be a little longer for the standard leather but well worth it over the long haul. This is what the standard leather was made for, and what has made whites the go to firefighting and logging boots for so long. Also the natural midsole will be black within a month if used as a work boot. oh and you will be happier with a taller boot for construction purposes as well. at a minimum 8" just to keep crap out of your boots. For water proofing sno-seal works very well.
I agree with Univibe. get yourself the work boots and then save up and get yourself a pair of Semi-dress for evenings and weekends, which is exactly what the semi-dress was made for.

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me, these epitomize the SD look
p550190130-3.jpg
p856723192-3.jpg
Any thoughts as to whether I can develop the same patina, and break in on a pair with double leather soles and leather lining?

4characters

Reaction score
Maybe you need two pairs!
Two pairs is a minimum. Wouldn’t it be a drag to have to take off your wonderful CXL shoes to put on some uncomfortable work boots (not White’s) and wouldn’t it be just terrible to only have White’s brown smooth work boots and to have to put on other inferior boots to go out. My scenario is the first one, I need to get a pair of brown smooth work boots now… Two pairs!

Last edited:

Dryvah

Reaction score

Smooth brown it is then.

Which full sole would you recommend for these boots?

I wasnt letting fashion choices take the lead. I didnt know the chrome exel leather wasnt as durable. I just liked that color the best.

Thanks.

Dryvah

Reaction score
I agree with this. As a work boot the chromexcel will hold up but the Standard brown leather will be more durable. The break in time will be a little longer for the standard leather but well worth it over the long haul. This is what the standard leather was made for, and what has made whites the go to firefighting and logging boots for so long. Also the natural midsole will be black within a month if used as a work boot. oh and you will be happier with a taller boot for construction purposes as well. at a minimum 8" just to keep crap out of your boots. For water proofing sno-seal works very well.
I agree with Univibe. get yourself the work boots and then save up and get yourself a pair of Semi-dress for evenings and weekends, which is exactly what the semi-dress was made for.
Hi Sleepy,
Thanks for the help here.

Ive worn 6 inch Danners for years at work and much prefer them to taller boots. I just find them way more comfortable to walk in.

Im a construction supervisor so my boots dont exactly get abused but they are worn around jobsite on a daily basis so I need a tough pair for sure.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads