• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Thought this might be of interest to some of you

White's currently has plenty of their GYW model on closeout sale. https://shop.whitesboots.com/closeout/

When I inquired to know if they were phasing out their GYW offering or some of the models, here is the reply I got.

We are not doing away with our Goodyear Welt Construction. We are discontinuing our Main Streets, First Avenue Oxfords, Kinney Chukkas and Otto Derbys.

I'm sure there's a good reason behind the move, but that also kinda sucks. I really like my own Main Streets!

I think the Perry did very well for them, and they've launched a few other GYW workboot styles that might also see much higher sales volume. Those are probably attracting new customers to the brand, while dedicated White's fans were probably more likely to go for things like the MP than the Main Street for a more fashion-oriented boot.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought this might be of interest to some of you

White's currently has plenty of their GYW model on closeout sale. https://shop.whitesboots.com/closeout/

When I inquired to know if they were phasing out their GYW offering or some of the models, here is the reply I got.

We are not doing away with our Goodyear Welt Construction. We are discontinuing our Main Streets, First Avenue Oxfords, Kinney Chukkas and Otto Derbys.

I'm sure there's a good reason behind the move, but that also kinda sucks. I really like my own Main Streets!
I think White's GYW models like main streets were a better option than some more renowned GYW brands (should I say Alden? : )).

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think White's GYW models like main streets were a better option than some more renowned GYW brands (should I say Alden? : )).
But Alden stocks ALLLLL the sizes you twit.

Seriously though, can you even call White's Goodyear Welt when you can't even see inventory? Maybe more mediumyear. Possibly closer to badyear welt if I'm being really rational.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You "English" lil booger!

Seriously though, can you even call White's Goodyear Welt when you can't even see inventory? Maybe more mediumyear. Possibly closer to badyear welt if I'm being really rational.
A fellow member (our Australian friend @discomute ?) has main streets in black leather and they looked great, he shared pics a while ago.

Abe_Room

Reaction score

Uhh, whatever he's taking, I dont want.

Has anyone got any news on the White's backlog? Anyone that ordered in November see their orders yet?

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A fellow member (our Australian friend @discomute ?) has main streets in black leather and they looked great, he shared pics a while ago.
Agreed. Although I like the Stevens more than the Main Street and generally, I'd rather have stitchdown from a company that does it regularly vs GYW.

Was just trying to beat out that little troll before he pops in and has an Aldgasm.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
Agreed. Although I like the Stevens more than the Main Street and generally, I'd rather have stitchdown from a company that does it regularly vs GYW.

Was just trying to beat out that little troll before he pops in and has an Aldgasm.
Is it the one that always talks about how whites should have stock of over 250 pairs of shoes for random people to try on and that it should be no big deal to manage, ship, clean, and manufacture all that stock?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Stevens is a great option especially in HH!

Woodtroll

Reaction score

Sarcasm detector went into high gear on this one.:D

Aldgasm! Oh my goodness!

White’s seems to sell all the BOOTS they can make without the need to diversify into street shoes, which then only draws fire for the imperfect finishing. Maybe they’ve decided to focus on what they do best.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White’s seems to sell all the BOOTS they can make without the need to diversify into street shoes, which then only draws fire for the imperfect finishing. Maybe they’ve decided to focus on what they do best.
I am sure that will make almost everyone on this forum happy!!

climbinglife

Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of a boot start "creaking" after 8 months of wear, 5 days a week for 8 hours a day? Because, thats my reality right now.
RO SDs Commando half sole, single leather, normal 90" heel.

jnik

Reaction score
Does anyone know if a pair of BH without a steel toe will successfully make it through TSA screening without having to take them off?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a pair of BH without a steel toe will successfully make it through TSA screening without having to take them off?
Every TSA agent seems to be different... my experience is with SD, but should apply to BH as well...

Please bear in mind this is totally anecdotal...

With PreCheck I generally do not have to take off my shoes, but the nails sometimes trigger the detector and precheck or not the TSA wants to know about the metal in my shoes... I would say this happens about 30% of the time, at random airports.

Without PreCheck, I have never been able to make it through screening without taking off my boots, regardless of airport or agent.

Frankly it got to be such a hassle that I stopped wearing boots on planes and simply wear a pair of sneakers... not worth the hassle in the middle of an airport.

I have mentioned it before, but White's causes the same problem at the screening to Federal Buildings... this is what a pair of PNW boots looks like on an x-ray... no wonder they trigger screening...
1644500933410.png

jnik

Reaction score
Every TSA agent seems to be different... my experience is with SD, but should apply to BH as well...

Please bear in mind this is totally anecdotal...

With PreCheck I generally do not have to take off my shoes, but the nails sometimes trigger the detector and precheck or not the TSA wants to know about the metal in my shoes... I would say this happens about 30% of the time, at random airports.

Without PreCheck, I have never been able to make it through screening without taking off my boots, regardless of airport or agent.

Frankly it got to be such a hassle that I stopped wearing boots on planes and simply wear a pair of sneakers... not worth the hassle in the middle of an airport.

I have mentioned it before, but White's causes the same problem at the screening to Federal Buildings... this is what a pair of PNW boots looks like on an x-ray... no wonder they trigger screening...
View attachment 1752294
Thanks, and interesting. Yeah, I have pre-check, and want the boots on the trip, so it looks like I will need to take my chances as i clearly do not want to pack them as it will take 1/2 of my carry on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads