• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered my 3rd pair of White's. I don't go through Bakers like most, I design the custom boot on paper and then go through Carter's Boots out of Bozeman. Here is what is arriving in 3 months:

White's Smoke Jumper
-Size 9D
-55 last
-Height 10”
-Soft toe
-Sole: Half lug commando sole
-Packer shaped heel
-Leather lined
-Leather: Brown chromexcel + Black Chromexcel for backstay only
-No Pull Loop
-No hooks, all eyelets (antique color)
-Brown edge

Can't wait to share with y'all, these things will be beasts.
Is packer shaped heel taller than regular smoke jumper heel?
Would the packer heel affect the 4811 last arch ease? I assume packer heel would work best with 690/695 lasts.
Thank you

iambretton

Reaction score
Would the packer heel affect the 4811 last arch ease? I assume packer heel would work best with 690/695 lasts.
Thank you
I am getting it built on the 55 last, not the 4811 (which fits me best). The packer heel shape is just the shaping of the heel block while sanding, not adding extra height. If you look at the Stockman, on White's site, you can see an example of the packer heel on the 55 last. Hope this helps!!

Widening Gyre

Reaction score
These arrived yesterday. Order placed 6/17. Some wonky stitching here and there, but nothing out of the ordinary for White's. I couldn't capture the color accurately with indoor lighting and a phone camera. They aren't nearly this yellow/orange. Hopefully the Father's Day orders will be coming in soon for those who are still waiting.
View attachment 1692845
Really think I’ll end up ordering a distressed RO MP during the next sale. They look great.

discomute

Reaction score
I don't like leather soles. I don't think they look much better, and the impracticality just has me shrugging my shoulders at most of the board. I admit that I have never used White's leather soles which apparently don't wear as fast as other brands I've used, but still.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like leather soles. I don't think they look much better, and the impracticality just has me shrugging my shoulders at most of the board. I admit that I have never used White's leather soles which apparently don't wear as fast as other brands I've used, but still.
What's your favorite sole, among the different types offered by White's?

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score

I had a pair of Bounty Hunters built with a "Dogger" heel, AKA tapered. It's the same straight angle as the Packer vs. the standard arched silhouette of the logger/woodsman (how many damn names does this heel actually have lol).

I have a couple leather soled SD's and they're no doubt unpractical. White's does a great job though & Ive found the soles to be very hard wearing. My favorite pair of SD's has a single leather sole & unstructured toe. Crazy comfortable & light weight. Cant wear them as much as Id like but they always put a smile on my face when i lace them up.

Luscombe

Reaction score
This is basically my 4rth wear of these British Tan CXL Bounty Hunters on a 5050 last. I guess technically they would be a smokejumper on a 5050 last since the BH is a SJ on a 55 last by definition.

I took a 2 mile walk at lunchtime to enjoy one of the last nice days before it gets cold.

They are getting more comfortable with each wear and the CXL is breaking in very quickly.
Glad I bought these and I love the 5050 last!

20211026_125649.jpg
20211026_125646.jpg
20211026_125629.jpg
20211026_125625.jpg
20211026_125616.jpg
20211026_125603.jpg

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is basically my 4rth wear of these British Tan CXL Bounty Hunters on a 5050 last. I guess technically they would be a smokejumper on a 5050 last since the BH is a SJ on a 55 last by definition.

I took a 2 mile walk at lunchtime to enjoy one of the last nice days before it gets cold.

They are getting more comfortable with each wear and the CXL is breaking in very quickly.
Glad I bought these and I love the 5050 last!

View attachment 1693291 View attachment 1693292 View attachment 1693293 View attachment 1693294 View attachment 1693295 View attachment 1693296
My British tan BHs are almost five months old and I feel the leather have "stretched" compared to HH
They are very comfortable but with my luck!!!! my Burgundy HH has worse clicking than British tan CXL lol.
I will share pics.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of Bounty Hunters built with a "Dogger" heel, AKA tapered. It's the same straight angle as the Packer vs. the standard arched silhouette of the logger/woodsman (how many damn names does this heel actually have lol).
If memory serves these are your boots?
reddogBHswithpackerheel.jpeg

I can't tell if they heels are any taller than regular BHs heel?

Luscombe

Reaction score
My British tan BHs are almost five months old and I feel the leather have "stretched" compared to HH
They are very comfortable but with my luck!!!! my Burgundy HH has worse clicking than British tan CXL lol.
I will share pics.
Yeah, my main issue with CXL is that it stretches. When lined, it is a little more stable but still.

I have a decent gap between the eyelets that will allow for a little stretching. I am hoping that these will just stretch to conform to my feet and stop there. The comfort arch is still prevalent but is calming down.

I wore my SD's today, they have about 25-30 wears on them, they were like stepping into slippers that were molded to the contour of my feet. I did not expect them to be that comfortable. I am now motivated to get more wears on the BH's. :)

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my main issue with CXL is that it stretches. When lined, it is a little more stable but still.

I have a decent gap between the eyelets that will allow for a little stretching. I am hoping that these will just stretch to conform to my feet and stop there. The comfort arch is still prevalent but is calming down.

I wore my SD's today, they have about 25-30 wears on them, they were like stepping into slippers that were molded to the contour of my feet. I did not expect them to be that comfortable. I am now motivated to get more wears on the BH's. :)
Your luxurious SDs(shell)? :)

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are the ones. They are feeling good! Now that it is cooler here in WI, I will get lots more time in them.
The colors are a bit mismatched but that will blend in time as I scuff them and they patina.
Some of your boots have commando half soles which make part of the leather soles "exposed". I would assume the snow/rain in WI might affect the longevity?

iambretton

Reaction score
I thought I would share my custom 350 Cruisers (Sorry the light is pretty bad). Got these in July but just started wearing them pretty much full time a month and a half ago. Here is the build:

White's 350 cruiser
9D
55 Last
6" height
Brass hooks and eyelets
unstructured toe box
leather lined
leather sole
Leather: Black chromexcel
Natural edge
Natural stitching on boot

I have a pair of 7" LTT smoke jumpers with fire and ice lugs which I thought were comfy, but these are so much better, like slippers. I have to say that I love the leather soles, but where I live winter is a joke, so they are great year'round city work boots. QC is great on these, other than the right boots pull being off center which doesn't bother me at all. I picked the stitching color to mimic Role Clubs underdogs and I think the contrast is really nice.
IMG-1317.jpg
IMG-1323.jpg
IMG-1322.jpg
IMG-1321.jpg
IMG-1319.jpg
IMG-1318.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads