1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. misterjuiceman

misterjuiceman Senior member

Guy, you're Viberging the White's thread. Love those boots, though. They look even better once they're broken in.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Sorry. Was only used in context to discuss my white's makeup

3. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

My 2 cents:
    Definitely celastic toe.
    Yes to pull tab, block heel , and lowered.
    Single row or double stitching either way.
    No speed hooks (its a short boot).
    I would def get CXL lined, to prevent stretching; Kyle at Bakers recommends it, and I experienced it with my OSB CXL boots.

4. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Gonna be one boss boot!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  5. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Dang, those are beautiful.

6. ben2t

ben2t Senior member

No break in needed on cxl compared to black smooth which is hard as wood:) [​IMG]

7. trvlr472

trvlr472 Senior member

Quote: No,never hurt an ankle. I do, however, have a problem with gout right now with the right foot which is why I think it's so much harder to get into the right boot. My right foot is bigger than the left one right now. Probably not a good time to be breaking in new, expensive MTO boots that mold to your feet but if I have problems down the road I'll deal with it then. The work boots are starting to feel better every day although still tighter all the way around than the SJ's. The SJ's are just slightly loose in the heel with medium weight socks. I bought some heavyweights today and the SJ's are perfect with them which is no big deal since the SJ's will be worn mostly in the winter.

8. revrend

revrend Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think it always looks way more pronounced in photos than it does on the foot with White's. I have other boots where the Cuban Heel is pretty damned obvious when I'm wearing them, but it's pretty subtle on my Bounty Hunters. It's noticeable, but it doesn't really look out of place.

9. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Ok...modified makeup based on feedback and discussions

• #8 CXL leather
    • no toe cap
    • single celastic toe
    • leather liner (cream)
    • no pull tab
    • antique eyelet and speed hook combo
    • standard trim
    • standard heel (possibly minus 1/4")
    • Commando mini lug half sole
    • single midsole
    • natural edge trim

10. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

I dig it, but my vote is a full Cuban heel or a lowered block heel.

11. mrpoizun

mrpoizun Member

I doubt that White's would make one of their boots with a Cuban heel for any price. I think you're referring to their standard heel, which could be considered a logger heel, or even cowboy heel, but definitely NOT a cuban heel. A cuban heel is a short based (front to back), undershot, medium high heel. It is almost always used only on ladies' shoes. Cuban heels would not be appropriate for heavy duty boots, especially White's, with their distinctive arch design.
    Even when the Beatles wore them they didn't get very popular- not in the US anyway.
    [​IMG]

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I was originally going to do lowered block heel but reading through the thread it seems like the overwhelming consensus is that the standard heel is far more comfortable to walk in

13. EastWestApparel

EastWestApparel Senior member

Ah the heel the heel. Had both, have had a second pair in the lowered block, I don't get vertigo, horizontogo or I'm about to fall backward-igo. Unless you are on your feet (real) working all day, and even then I doubt the difference would be mahoosive, the block heel is still more comfortable, lowered as well, than any other boot I have worn. Otto White was a fantastic bootmaker, not a scientist, he found a height that seemed to work well with the arch, the arch flattens slightly with wear. I hardly ever read any complaints from people that have had the lowered heel, just those that live the curved and believe "it must be the way it was intended" hurrump!

and breathe.

But you know, each to his own :)

1 person likes this.
  14. ohiorick

ohiorick Member

Wow, those look great. The natural CXL really looks good. Still waiting for my first pair of Whites, but those may well be my second pair. How long did it take to get them?

15. ohiorick

ohiorick Member

Been just over 3 weeks for my Bounty Hunters. Maybe I will see them sooner than I expected.

16. Grayland

Grayland Senior member

I agree. I always thought the traditional heel on the White's SD looked pretty extreme in pics, but when I put them on - it was far more subtle. It just seems to work with the rest of the boot.

17. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

I still say lowered block heel...

18. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

I'm pretty sure that even White's/Baker's uses the term "cuban heel" when describing their standard heel.

1 person likes this.
  19. ben2t

ben2t Senior member

Just place an order for a pair of another SD for my brother in law, same build as my Navy Chromexcel but now on burgandy chromexcel.

20. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

I'm 10.5 Wide as shit on Brannock. Probably EEEEE or some shit. Do you think a pair of SD's in 11.5EE could work? I have 1k's in 11EEE and they fit ok. Little big in the toe box but with boot socks and insole they are good. Indy in 10.5EEE is okay after break in.