• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

klank74

Reaction score
Question guys. I’m really struggling with the break in of my Whites work boots. I’m a diesel mechanic and stand/walk on concrete all day. I have one pair with a double midsole/honey vibram sole, and another with a single midsole and the Vibram 430. After wearing them for a full day at work, my feet are killing me. The bottoms of my feet, right behind my toes, almost feel bruised. The rest of my foot feels fine. I usually have to switch back to my old wedge sole work boots (thorogoods) for a few days before attempting to wear my Whites again. It’s definitely not as bad with the single midsole boots, I assume because their more flexible right out of the gate. The double midsoles are brutal though. Will this get better as they continue to break in, or is it just a byproduct of me being 40 and over weight finally catching up with me? I haven’t experienced this issue with my other Whites that I wear casually as they broke in. I forgot to add that I’ve had the pair with double midsoles since spring and the single midsole pair since the end of July. Break in is taking forever though since I have to take such long breaks in between wears.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question guys. I’m really struggling with the break in of my Whites work boots. I’m a diesel mechanic and stand/walk on concrete all day. I have one pair with a double midsole/honey vibram sole, and another with a single midsole and the Vibram 430. After wearing them for a full day at work, my feet are killing me. The bottoms of my feet, right behind my toes, almost feel bruised. The rest of my foot feels fine. I usually have to switch back to my old wedge sole work boots (thorogoods) for a few days before attempting to wear my Whites again. It’s definitely not as bad with the single midsole boots, I assume because their more flexible right out of the gate. The double midsoles are brutal though. Will this get better as they continue to break in, or is it just a byproduct of me being 40 and over weight finally catching up with me? I haven’t experienced this issue with my other Whites that I wear casually as they broke in.
I had some trouble with White's boots' break-in, although I work in office environment but switching to full cushion darn tough socks (the ones with 79% merino wool) helped tremendously.

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Question guys. I’m really struggling with the break in of my Whites work boots. I’m a diesel mechanic and stand/walk on concrete all day. I have one pair with a double midsole/honey vibram sole, and another with a single midsole and the Vibram 430. After wearing them for a full day at work, my feet are killing me. The bottoms of my feet, right behind my toes, almost feel bruised. The rest of my foot feels fine. I usually have to switch back to my old wedge sole work boots (thorogoods) for a few days before attempting to wear my Whites again. It’s definitely not as bad with the single midsole boots, I assume because their more flexible right out of the gate. The double midsoles are brutal though. Will this get better as they continue to break in, or is it just a byproduct of me being 40 and over weight finally catching up with me? I haven’t experienced this issue with my other Whites that I wear casually as they broke in. I forgot to add that I’ve had the pair with double midsoles since spring and the single midsole pair since the end of July. Break in is taking forever though since I have to take such long breaks in between wears.

klank74--

How would you classify the fitment of the boot itself? Is it snug but not too snug? Ball, arch & heel? Proper length? Arch location feels correct? We want to eliminate any possible build issue.

Next, and especially for double midsoles, how tight are you lacing the boots up? The pair I'm currently breaking in (double mid with 100 sole, non-Whites) seems quite sensitive to how snug the lacing is, particularly over the instep and where the ankle begins to roll up from the foot. This directly impacts how tight the toes are laterally (walking foot movement), how easy it is to flex the ankle (driving) and performing squat movements.

Not your first pair, so you'll know your feet best.

Never had Thorogoods, so don't know how flat they are - my flat sandals will have my feet hurting (similar to your description) just walking around the house for a few hours.

Is the leather of the vamp and upper super stiff? Wonder if an oiling would benefit the break in process?

How thick are the socks you're wearing? Fit is definitely impacted by sock weight.

Short boots take longer to break in vs taller boots, too.

Cheers,

Last edited:

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Wearing my Whites x Huckberry Sherman MP boots in distressed brown today. When I got them I could not wear them - too tight across the forefoot (they really are a D, and my feet are E). So I paid a local leather repair $20 to stretch them for 2 days on their machine. And - lo and behold - they fit fantastic now. Very happy I did not give up on these!!!

White's MP Sherman x Huckberry - Distressed Brown.jpg

klank74

Reaction score
klank74--

How would you classify the fitment of the boot itself? Is it snug but not too snug? Ball, arch & heel? Proper length? Arch location feels correct? We want to eliminate any possible build issue.

Next, and especially for double midsoles, how tight are you lacing the boots up? The pair I'm currently breaking in (double mid with 100 sole) seems quite sensitive to how snug the lacing is, particularly over the instep and where the ankle begins to roll up from the foot. This directly impacts how tight the toes are laterally (walking foot movement), how easy it is to flex the ankle (driving) and performing squat movements.

Not your first pair, so you'll know your feet best.

Never had Thorogoods, so don't know how flat they are - my flat sandals will have my feet hurting (similar to your description) just walking around the house for a few hours.

Is the leather of the vamp and upper super stiff? Wonder if an oiling would benefit the break in process?

How thick are the socks you're wearing? Fit is definitely impacted by sock weight.

Short boots take longer to break in vs taller boots, too.

Cheers,
the fitment of them is spot on. My first pair of Whites were SD’s, 38 swing last in a 13C with an instep adjustment. They were close, but had the slightest bit of heel slip. My next 2 builds were the lace to toe SJ’s I’m having the problems with at work. They too are on the 38 last, 13C, but I had them made with a B heel. They also got the instep adjustment. Fit is perfect on them. My 4th pair are lace to toe BH’s, again, 38 last, 13C/B, instep adjustment. The first and fourth pair are my casual boots and I don’t experience any pain with them. The arch hits in the right spot on all 4, length is perfect, they fit snug, but not to snug. I lace them snug, but not too tight. I always wear darn tough merino wool socks with the full padding. The only place I experience pain is like I mentioned before, the bottoms of my feet, directly behind my toes. My toes, arches, heels, tops of my feet all feel great. I’m thinking it’s more because I’m over weight (6’ 5”, 325lbs) and the concrete I’m working on all day is just a very unforgiving surface. Add the fact that these boots have leather insoles with no padding. When I’m wearing my casual Whites, I’m walking on a variety of surfaces and not on my feet all day, hence, no pain. I was mainly curious if this was something that might get better as they break in. Maybe I’m just a case wear wedge soles might be needed for the extra cushioning. Which sucks, cause they are horrible in snow or on when climbing around on a wet truck.

Thorogoods are wedge soles boots, similar in appearance to redwings moc toe boots. They have very little arch support, but I’ve always used Sole heat moldable insoles for arch support in everything, until I got my Whites. The arch support of Whites 38 last feels very similar to what I’ve experienced with the Sole insoles.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing my Whites x Huckberry Sherman MP boots in distressed brown today. When I got them I could not wear them - too tight across the forefoot (they really are a D, and my feet are E). So I paid a local leather repair $20 to stretch them for 2 days on their machine. And - lo and behold - they fit fantastic now. Very happy I did not give up on these!!!

View attachment 1669548
Did you get them on discount?

BlueSteel

Reaction score

BlueSteel

Reaction score
Final few(s)?
Not Bakers - Huckberry had a sale and took a big % off...maybe 40%? They did a similar thing with their Viberg collab boots a couple months later. If they happened to have your size left and you saw the sales in the first day or two, these were great deals!

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
the fitment of them is spot on. My first pair of Whites were SD’s, 38 swing last in a 13C with an instep adjustment. They were close, but had the slightest bit of heel slip. My next 2 builds were the lace to toe SJ’s I’m having the problems with at work. They too are on the 38 last, 13C, but I had them made with a B heel. They also got the instep adjustment. Fit is perfect on them. My 4th pair are lace to toe BH’s, again, 38 last, 13C/B, instep adjustment. The first and fourth pair are my casual boots and I don’t experience any pain with them. The arch hits in the right spot on all 4, length is perfect, they fit snug, but not to snug. I lace them snug, but not too tight. I always wear darn tough merino wool socks with the full padding. The only place I experience pain is like I mentioned before, the bottoms of my feet, directly behind my toes. My toes, arches, heels, tops of my feet all feel great. I’m thinking it’s more because I’m over weight (6’ 5”, 325lbs) and the concrete I’m working on all day is just a very unforgiving surface. Add the fact that these boots have leather insoles with no padding. When I’m wearing my casual Whites, I’m walking on a variety of surfaces and not on my feet all day, hence, no pain. I was mainly curious if this was something that might get better as they break in. Maybe I’m just a case wear wedge soles might be needed for the extra cushioning. Which sucks, cause they are horrible in snow or on when climbing around on a wet truck.

Thorogoods are wedge soles boots, similar in appearance to redwings moc toe boots. They have very little arch support, but I’ve always used Sole heat moldable insoles for arch support in everything, until I got my Whites. The arch support of Whites 38 last feels very similar to what I’ve experienced with the Sole insoles.

klank74--

Appreciate the further description.

Sounds like your feet are feeling it right at the flex line - which is exactly where the main break in stress is concentrated.

The double midsole will compound the stress/effort/discomfort experienced until those are fully broken in.

Keep at it!

Although you may want to cut back on the hours - sounds like it may be overwhelming what your feet are capable of dealing with - the extra pounds plus extra midsole = extra stresses.

Ramp up the hours worn vs diving in full steam, especially in your work environment.

Cheers,

Last edited:

JFetter

Reaction score
Two quick questions:
1) Some restaurant fryer oil spilled on my Distressed smooth workboot. Can I use Dawn dish soap to clean this up before conditioning with Saphir? I also own "AE paste saddle soap", but I'm not sure that's what I need to remove this nasty oil.

2) Has there been any consensus on boot squeaks and a solution? Have a pair in brown dress, probably 15 months old, and both left and right are squeaking. First time I've had this with a White's boot!
TIA

iambretton

Reaction score
Does anyone have any pics of their White's in Black Chromexcel with a nice patina?

Jimk4003

Reaction score
1) Some restaurant fryer oil spilled on my Distressed smooth workboot. Can I use Dawn dish soap to clean this up before conditioning with Saphir? I also own "AE paste saddle soap", but I'm not sure that's what I need to remove this nasty oil.
Saddle soap might work, and is probably the best place to start. If that doesn't get it out, I've found that a mix of concentrated lemon juice mixed with cream of tartar (you can get them both in the ingredients aisle of the supermarket) works well. Mix the lemon juice and the cream of tartar into a thick paste, and then apply it to the stained area. Leave for 15 minutes, then wipe off, let dry, and check the stain. Repeat if necessary.

It's a really effective spot stain remover that isn't too harsh on the leather, but as always, check on an inconspicuous area if you're worried about any colour change. I got a large peat stain out of a pair of veg tanned Viberg's this way, and it worked perfectly.

2) Has there been any consensus on boot squeaks and a solution? Have a pair in brown dress, probably 15 months old, and both left and right are squeaking. First time I've had this with a White's boot!
This recent Stridewise video may be of interest; it's a collaboration with Bedo's Leatherworks where they fix a squeak in a pair of White's.

Squeaks are usually the result of pieces of leather rubbing against each other inside the boot, and depending on where the squeak is coming from, it might be the midsole rubbing on the insole, or a loose shank, as is the case in the video. Best bet if you're not sure is to speak to White's themselves, but if it's persistent on both boots, you may be looking at some repair work to address the issue.

Alexidb

Reaction score
what's the custom order process like direct from White's?

I want a pair of leather lined oxfords that are laced-to-toe, and apparently it's not something Baker's will do.

Featured Sponsor

LARGE METAL WATCHES WITH TAILORING

• Yes, I’m tacky like that.

• No way José! Dress watch with leather strap for me!

• No watch at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.