1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Heh, I kind of like them and have plenty of other boots, so why not one with a Christy? Admittedly I admit it is sort of ridiculous and lately have been thinking about spending my money on exotic leather dress shoes instead.

2. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Do it. They're just White's, it's not like you're putting them on some Edward Greens or something.

3. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

Great pics! And I love how you went right out and wore them on a hike. That is what they're built for.
    I am REALLY leaning towards this leather for my next pair.

Keep posting some wear pics after you've hiked around in them for a while. I want to see how they age.

You know, when you send boots back to White's for a rebuild, they give you a new set of bookmarks. I think in a few years when I send a pair back, I will keep the old ones and actually use them as such.

4. meso

meso Senior member

Never heard of white's doing whisky. I think the only shell they do is #8.

5. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

They will make you a boot out of rat ass you provide the hide(s) :D

6. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Yeah, basically. Hell, it would be easier to get boots made out of something like croc or stingray than whiskey cordovan given availability.

Rat's ass, though... hmmm., probably hard to get premium cuts of that.

7. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Yeah man, and you thought the membrane of a horses ass was rare

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  8. hollowsleather

hollowsleather Senior member

*unless they have an exclusivity contract with a Japanese dealer for rat ass boots. Certain makeups are definitely off limits for this reason.

1 person likes this.
  9. Warpiper

Warpiper Well-Known Member

I think that color scheme would be awesome! I ordered a two tone pair of semi dress for which I am currently waiting. I can't wait to see pictures of yours.

10. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

It can't possibly be worth more than twice the price to get a pair of White's SD made up in shell cordovan? Don't get me wrong, I love shell cordovan, but I think it's more fair that they cost around 50% like Alden and not more than twice the price of a normal SD.

I would think two pairs of SD's in for example CXL would last longer than one in shell anyway.

11. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

While I agree that their upcharge for shell is downright outrageous, I imagine part of it is the fact that they're ordering shell in such smaller quantities than Alden...but that's only a part of it. I'd have to assume that they're doing it mostly because they think they can, and that because they assume anyone tracking down their boots in shell has ample money to do so (something I don't support or agree with). I'm mighty tempted to order a pair in shell, but I find the upcharge hard to justify, both functionally (is it really twice the boot?) and philosphically (do I really want to support such an insane upcharge?).

As far as lasting longer in CXL, I'm not sure I follow/agree. Shell is remarkably resilient, and should last every bit as long as CXL if properly taken care of.

Edit: I just noticed that you said *two* pairs in CXL. That I can get behind. Unfortunately, shell has that innate ability to roll instead of crease, which is just so damn sexy.

I wonder if Nick's would make a boot in shell?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  12. OlafG

OlafG Senior member

My point was that you might have boots for a longer period of time with two pairs in CXL rather than one pair in shell, and it would most likely be cheaper.

I'm tempted too as I really do love shell cordovan, but, it's hard. I already have too many dark brown/red-ish boots anyway.

Edit: A bit trigger happy.

13. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

I dunno. The SDs I've seen in #8 shell are sick as f*ck. and about $200 cheaper than shell Vibergs

14. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Is Viberg really a realistic comparison though?

15. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

A shit load better comparison than Alden's.

16. ojaw

ojaw Senior member

They are two of the highest regarded workboot/newly-fashion-conscious makers.
    Viberg and White's that is.

17. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

I've heard shell is kind of a pain to work with. I have called White's and asked them to do things that when they said no, their reason was basically that it was a pain to do it. I used to work for a company that on occasion made special runs of product. It became such a pain in the ass that we eventually tried to exit the market. Our strategy was instead of saying "No", we would just keep raising the price. Amazingly, there were still customers that would pay what we considered outlandish amounts for us to manufacture something that should have cost much less than we charged, but we added the "pain in the ass" surcharge. Perhaps White's has the same philosophy regarding working with shell? If it was my company, that is what I would do to limit the requests for it instead of just saying no.

18. meso

meso Senior member

Viberg has indicated that working with shell takes a long time to recalibrate machines, in which case there is labor and pain in the ass involved.

19. anrobit

anrobit Senior member

Except that Viberg has a ridiculous markup across all their shoes, whereas White's only has it on shell models, because as previously mentioned, shell is a pain in the ass.

20. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

not to go too far off track but do you own any Vibergs? I own many shoes from many different manufacturers and feel they are a fair value

1 person likes this.