• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4characters

Reaction score
To answer another question, my work boots are just described as "Brown". I ordered from the White's catalog and it was one of 4 options: black, brown, red dog, and distressed. It does look like brown CXL though, but the leather is quite thick and also unlined.
For the Vintage boot the Brown is CXL, it's 3-5oz according to White's. Good leather...

Last edited:

Okal

Reaction score
The White's Classic Work Boots come in black, brown, Red Dog and distressed OIL TANNED LEATHER and in black and brown CHROME EXCEL LEATHER. Check this link: http://www.whitesboots.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30674 . It sounds like what you got, Aaron, is the brown oil tanned leather, which is the toughest leather White's uses, and the high oil content in that leather is probably why the hydraulic fluid spots disappeared quickly. The standard oil tanned leathers are thicker and much more durable than the CXL, which is also a nice leather for less rigorous conditions.

Allan

4characters

Reaction score
Hears the configuration I’m pondering:
Baker's Custom Bounty Hunter by White's Boots
Counter Leather Brown Smooth, Celastic Toe Box No Thanks, Height 10", Midsole Single, Heel Base Standard, Last Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter), Steel Toe No Thanks, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Smooth, Toe Cap No Thanks, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Smooth, Top Cut Top (standard), Hardware Brass Eyes & Hooks, Leather Liner Brown, Pull Loops Leather Pull Loops, Size - Width D (medium), Lace Design Lace to Toe, Sole Vibram Composition Half Sole, Toe Cap Leather Color Brown Smooth, Edge Natural, Heel Lifts Standard, Size - Length 10.5

Grand Total: $429.95

Thoughts?

Thanks guys
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

tavoz

Reaction score
Hi, I'm still on the sizing issue. Can you guys give me a clue on what would be the closest fit to semi-dress, between Wolverine 1000 and Red Wing iron ranger? I can try those two here in Paris, but no White's, so it would help me to figure out if the size that Kyle gave to me is something I can go on when ordering.

aaronjared

Reaction score
Hi, I'm still on the sizing issue. Can you guys give me a clue on what would be the closest fit to semi-dress, between Wolverine 1000 and Red Wing iron ranger? I can try those two here in Paris, but no White's, so it would help me to figure out if the size that Kyle gave to me is something I can go on when ordering.

Typically people find they do well with the same size in the many boot types. I am 8D in Alden Indy and 8E Red Wing Iron Ranger and Gentleman Traveler, and White's sized me 8C from my tracings, and they were spot on. If you sent in your tracings to Baker's then go with what he gave to you.

LeftysRock

Reaction score
Responding to British Tan or Classic Brown. Just so happens that I have a pair of each - had them for about a year now. The Classic Brown is a deep rich brown - the British Tan is a more orangey color. Even though I really love the Classic Browns the British Tans have grown on me since I first got them. The color has deepened with age and has taken on a bit of patina. Here are some shots of the two side by side. (Sorry for the bad photo work)

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Me:
10 D Alden Barrie
10 D White's
10 D Redwing GT

EastWestApparel

Reaction score
Hi Tavoz, from experience trying to size people by proxy, I've found the tracing, although a lot of people do get sized well that way, can often be misleading due to sock thickness, pencil angle etc.... There's no substitute for trying them on of course but from quite a bit of experience and my own collection I would always go by: go the same size I. White's they you do in Red Wings or maybe size down a half size at most if going for a wider fit than a D, stay with your Viberg size, and From personal experience, go with a half size up from Alden's Barrie last if its narrow in the toe in a D and go with the same as your Tru balance size.

Whites feel more snug around the instep and heel than most of the brands above and may feel like they are too small when you first get them but if the length feels right and the width doesn't hurt or pinch the. They will give and mold to become about the most comfortable above any of the above me filmed brands.......unless you have 6 toes and bunions..... And then you buggered.

EastWestApparel

Reaction score
Excuse the mistakes above, typing to fast for the phone but the message is still there!

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Responding to British Tan or Classic Brown. Just so happens that I have a pair of each - had them for about a year now. The Classic Brown is a deep rich brown - the British Tan is a more orangey color. Even though I really love the Classic Browns the British Tans have grown on me since I first got them. The color has deepened with age and has taken on a bit of patina. Here are some shots of the two side by side. (Sorry for the bad photo work)
Thx for these!

JVAV

Reaction score
I have the same size (11D) in 1000 mile and SD, BH. It really depends on what socks you intend to wear as if I were to wear thin socks I would go down to 10.5 on all as I'm a 11.5 D on a Brannock but if you will wear regular to mid weight socks, I would say size down .5 size. At the end of the day I'd rather have a shoe/boot slightly to large instead of slightly to small.

Okal

Reaction score
In most shoes I wear a 13C or 13D. In the White's Semi-Dress I wear 12.5 with a C ball and a B heel. In my Russell Moccasins PH boots, they are marked 12C, but I know the heel has been narrowed to a B in those boots too. There are a few other moccasin-style boots where I can wear a 12, but mostly I am a true 13. In European sizing I typically wear a 46 or a 47, depending on the shoe/boot. For some reason, shoes/boots like Merrill, Ecco, and many others fit fine in the heel, but the standard White's, Luccheses, Russells and others are far too wide in the heel unless I have them built on a custom last. It all comes down to the lasts that are being used and the style of the boot. It can be hard to fit a boot without trying it on.

Allan

4characters

Reaction score
Brown smooth or red dog….
Could someone explain how they differ in weight, durability, finish, or ageing?

Also the configuration I am thinking about is just bellow. what ya think?
Thanks
smile.gif

Hears the configuration I’m pondering:
Baker's Custom Bounty Hunter by White's Boots
Counter Leather Brown Smooth, Celastic Toe Box No Thanks, Height 10", Midsole Single, Heel Base Standard, Last Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter), Steel Toe No Thanks, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Smooth, Toe Cap No Thanks, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Smooth, Top Cut Top (standard), Hardware Brass Eyes & Hooks, Leather Liner Brown, Pull Loops Leather Pull Loops, Size - Width D (medium), Lace Design Lace to Toe, Sole Vibram Composition Half Sole, Toe Cap Leather Color Brown Smooth, Edge Natural, Heel Lifts Standard, Size - Length 10.5

Thoughts?

Thanks guys
biggrin.gif

andy b.

Reaction score

I have Iron Rangers in 9 1/2 D and my Bounty Hunters are 9 1/2 D. Both fit well with a medium to lightweight sock. I mean regular socks like athletic socks or a light hiking sock, not a lightweight thin dress sock. If you're going to wear thick hiking socks, I would go up a width.

Andy B.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics