1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

I've dubbed up my midsoles and heels plenty of times without even thinking about it. Could see why the leather would separate over time, but I wouldn't overthink this too much; we are talking about workbooks here ;)

2. aaronjared

aaronjared Active Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm glad I didn't apply Obenaufs first and ask questions later. I'll give the AE edge treatment a try. Here's a pic of my natty cxl bounty hunters. Worn them every day since I received them mid October. I brush them every day to keep them nice and clean. Love the color they are taking on.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. HDPolarbear

HDPolarbear Active Member

May I know what are the great things you've heard about horse strip from White's sources?
    I own a pair of White's SD with brown horsehide.. It is probably about 3 months old with wears only on weekends so no significant patina has developed.

4. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

5. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

Those look great! Every time I think I know what brown to get, someone posts a photo that makes me try to decide all over again.

And thanks all for the sole edge care tips. I have applied Obenauf's a few time to my sole edges and never gave it any thought. I guess I will use it more sparingly. I would think up by the ball of the foot it wouldn't matter much since the layers are held together with stitching, but I can see it being more of a concern in the heel where most of it is glued together.

Andy B.

6. tavoz

tavoz Active Member

FINALLY!!!
    Just got my black Horse Hide SD delivered!

All black Horse Hide
    Lowered block heel
    Close trim
    Sole 269 vibram
    Brown egde
    Antique hooks and eyelets
    Single celastic

My concern was about sizing: I had sent a couple of time my tracings and measurements to both White's and Baker's, they found me different sizes and width... I finally trusted Kyle from Baker's, as you guys told me to do, and I did well: perfect fitting!

So first filling: comfort! And what a beautifull craftmanship! The quality of the construction and materials is beyond what I expected.

Thanks to all you guys! This thread is great, I spent a lot of time here, but it wasen't wasted time.

I'm starting the break-in tomorrow. I feel it won't be long, for the Horse Hide is really supple, even if it is thick.

I'll post some pics soon if someone is interested in this configuration.

7. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I would love to see a few pics

8. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Please post pics pronto! (How's that for alliteration ?). This is almost exactly the build I think I am going to order, so would love to see them. Thanks!

9. ohiorick

ohiorick Member

Ordered my first pair of White's boots this week. Here's what I ordered;
    Baker's Custom Bounty Hunter by White's Boots
    Item No: 2332CB
    Leather Liner: Red (canyon reddish color)
    Height: 6"
    Toe Cap: Medallion Toe Cap
    Celastic Toe Box: Single Celastic Toe
    Toe Vamp Leather: #8 Burgundy Chrome Excel by Horween
    Last: Semi Dress (Bounty Hunter)
    Hardware: Antique Eyes & Hooks (top garment = hook)
    Heel Base: Standard/Cuban
    Size – 8.5: D (medium)
    Heel Lifts: Standard
    Toe Cap Leather Color: Black Chrome Excel
    Top: Rolled Top
    Midsole: Single
    Lace Design: Plain Toe
    Edge: Natural
    Counter Leather: #8 Burgundy Chrome Excel by Horween
    Upper (Shaft) Leather: Black Chrome Excel by Horween
    Pull Loops: Leather Pull Loops
    Sole: Commando Mini Lug Half Sole

I keep changing my mind on the Burgundy and black mix. Part of the time I think it is going to look great, part of the time I think it is going to funny looking and I would be better off going with one color. Any thoughts guys?
    Also need to know what to put on the sole edges to seal them and take proper care of them. Can't wait to put them on and see how the feel.

10. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

Tavoz,

Definitely post pics!!!!

Ohiorick,

As I was reading your order specs I was thinking to myself, "That color combo should look great!" That's one of the things about White's, you have to get at least one pair with different color leathers. How many other places even offer such an option?

Andy B.

11. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

12. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

Aaron Jared what half sole is on your whites?

13. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

Just a quick update so others can get an idea for current timeframes. I ordered my boots through buildaboot.com on Dec 20, and they shipped on Monday Jan 13. I'll have them on Monday.

I was told 6 weeks, and they shipped just a hair over 3 weeks. Pretty darn impressive.

Can't wait.

14. meso

meso Senior member

Wore my plain vanilla brown SDs with antique hooks & eyelets today.
    Still one of the best boots I own, hands down, for comfort and look.

15. aaronjared

aaronjared Active Member

It's the mini lug half sole. I've heard rumors they will be discontinuing it eventually. I have no complaints and the rubber is a softer and more comfortable compound than, say, the Red Wing Beckman. Very comfortable to walk long distances without needing some of the other soles which I feel are a bit clunky looking for a boot I don't use for work.

16. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

do you have more pics of the sole? Looks like double leather /Cuban heel /then the mini lug sole. Do they automatically add another layer of leather when adding the lug sole? I know whites add another layer when they do commando soles so wondering if they do the same with half soles. Post your spec

17. linafelt

linafelt Senior member

Hey Meso,

How would you compare sizing and fit of your SDs with your Vibergs...?

18. meso

meso Senior member

Take a 10 in SDs and a 9.5 on the 110 last.
    10D in Alden barrie last.
    Probably a 10 on the 2030 or 2045 if it's slimmer.

19. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

Not sure if this has been posted before....

While researching on White's boots, I came across this site where they have several builts on display:

http://www.eastwestapparel.co.uk/Whites-Boots

Could be useful for those of us still contemplating the options....

20. cathpah

cathpah Senior member

"EastWestApparel" is actually a member here on SF, and is very active in this thread. He's also posted photos of a lot of the swatches, as well as a bunch of other helpful information. Good guy, all around.