• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Napping_Sloth

Reaction score
Hey y'all, what's the group consensus on doing LTT with a Toe Cap? Does the lacing reach too close to the cap to look good?

mjunderw00d

Reaction score
Alright - I've got my sizing recommendations from Kyle, which I feel mostly confident in, and it's almost order time ??. Like most, there's nowhere near me to try on White's boots anywhere locally. I'm going pretty classic for my first pair, the MP Sherman in Cinnamon Waxed Flesh with a commando half-sole.

The question becomes: Barrie last, or 55 last? I know the differences between the two, but would love to hear from you all on your recommendations and why!

I have somewhat higher arches, so part of me thinks the 55 is the way. But, how does the MP Barrie arch support compare to other boots you've owned (Red Wing, Truman, Viberg, etc.)? I'm guessing it's at least comparable, if not better. But Bakers said they refer most folks to the 55 nowadays.

Final detail to determine: I'm typically a structured toe guy, especially with a toe cap. MP Barrie last looks great with a structured toe. But I haven't seen hardly any MP-55 photos, and the few I have made the structured toe appear a bit bulbous, kind of like an Iron Ranger. Could just be those limited photos, though. The original photos that @sambam posted (https://www.styleforum.net/threads/custom-whites-boots-thoughts.219173/post-9741784) are unstructured, which he said give it a sleek look. It definitely looks sleek and nice in the photos. But, I've not seen any MP-55 photos after they've been worn in, regardless of toe structure or not. So it's tough to know how things will truly end up.

Anyways -- would love to hear some opinions!

Last edited:

ThreeLions

Reaction score
Alright - I've got my sizing recommendations from Kyle, which I feel mostly confident in, and it's almost order time ??. Like most, there's nowhere near me to try on White's boots anywhere locally. I'm going pretty classic for my first pair, the MP Sherman in Cinnamon Waxed Flesh with a commando half-sole.

The question becomes: Barrie last, or 55 last? I know the differences between the two, but would love to hear from you all on your recommendations and why!

I have somewhat higher arches, so part of me thinks the 55 is the way. But, how does the MP Barrie arch support compare to other boots you've owned (Red Wing, Truman, Viberg, etc.)? I'm guessing it's at least comparable, if not better. But Bakers said they refer most folks to the 55 nowadays.

Final detail to determine: I'm typically a structured toe guy, especially with a toe cap. MP Barrie last looks great with a structured toe. But I haven't seen hardly any MP-55 photos, and the few I have made the structured toe appear a bit bulbous, kind of like an Iron Ranger. Could just be those limited photos, though. The original photos that @sambam posted (https://www.styleforum.net/threads/custom-whites-boots-thoughts.219173/post-9741784) are unstructured, which he said give it a sleek look. It definitely looks sleek and nice in the photos. But, I've not seen any MP-55 photos after they've been worn in, regardless of toe structure or not. So it's tough to know how things will truly end up.

Go for the best of both worlds and get the 5050 Last.

These are my MP's built on the 5050:

These are my MP's built on the 5050 last:

1fI5B3H.jpg

gQAMb6N.jpg

Last edited:

mjunderw00d

Reaction score
Go for the best of both worlds and get the 5050 Last.

These are my MP's built on the 5050:

beautiful, for sure. have you worn MP Barries or MP-55s to compare the look and feel to? I know it’s a combo, but just not sure what that really translates to. Curious what you love about it. Definitely intrigued.

ThreeLions

Reaction score
These are my MP's built on the 5050 last:

1fI5B3H.jpg

gQAMb6N.jpg
beautiful, for sure. have you worn MP Barries or MP-55s to compare the look and feel to? I know it’s a combo, but just not sure what that really translates to. Curious what you love about it. Definitely intrigued.

I tried on the standard Barrie lasted boots in their show room. They felt totally flat and with no arch support. I didn’t like the feel, but loved the look.

I asked them to build them on the 5050 last and they agreed. This was the first pair of MPs that I had seen built on the 5050.

The 5050 last feels more like a standard 55 lasted semi dress in the arch and the heel, but with the smaller toebox of a Barrie. Feels at least one size narrower than the 55 to me. I.e., a 12D feels like a 12C or 12B.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
But, how does the MP Barrie arch support compare to other boots you've owned (Red Wing, Truman, Viberg, etc.)? I'm guessing it's at least comparable, if not better. But Bakers said they refer most folks to the 55 nowadays.
They felt totally flat and with no arch support. I didn’t like the feel, but loved the look.
I agree with @ThreeLions , the Barrie is effectively a flat bottomed last. The arch support is pretty comparable to a Red Wing Iron Ranger (i.e. basically none, and what support is there is probably just a result of the boot having a heel). The Viberg 2030 last has ever so slightly more arch support, even though that doesn't offer much either. I don't know how Truman compares, since I don't own any.

If you want more arch support, the 55 or the 5050 will be the way to go.

Luscombe

Reaction score

Good wisdom above from ThreeLions. You have more options if your feet are normal width or wider.

The way Kyle explained it to me was: The SD last has the signature arch ease with a bulbus toe. The MP Barrie has a more svelt look with no arch support. The 5050 last marries the two with MP svelt toe in front and SD structure from the arch back. I am not too sure about the MP on the SD last. I think it is the SD heel arch and toe built to the shape of the MP. I suspect the toe would be more prominent than the Barrie MP but not as much as an SD boot.

Then there is the option of celastic vs non-celastic toe.

My Whites size is 10B and I own the MP in a 10B. It fits like a glove but no arch support and the Danite sole leaves me wanting. I do want another pair of MP's and must wait until either the 5050 is offered in a B or move ahead with a pair built on the SD last.

I for one would love to see some side by side photos of the MP's comparing the three different lasts.
Can anyone share?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads