• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps. I just was trying to get them to fit more like my Lofgrens which are snug but fit glove like. Also, you never know till you try. I think they will break in alright but going forward, I'll probably stick with 11.5. I do have stretchers if needed but I don't think that will be necessary.

The celastic cup also bothered my big toe in my 11.5 but that broke in just fine now.
Newbie question, do you think BHs with "dressy" leather and "dressy" soles (269 etc.) need 100 hours of break-in time ( I have read about the 100 hours somewhere: ))?

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Newbie question, do you think BHs with "dressy" leather and "dressy" soles (269 etc.) need 100 hours of break-in time ( I have read about the 100 hours somewhere: ))?
I think it's tough to put a figure on break-in time like that, so treat it as a ballpark figure at best.

Lighter leather and soles will obviously reduce break-in time a bit, but it also depends on how hard you wear them, and how well they fit initially.

wordfool

Reaction score

Probably. The type of leather might make a difference in terms of break-in over the top of your foot (though that's never been much of a problem for me), but my experience is that true break-in requires the sole and arch leather to soften up and get more flexible, and that takes more time regardless of the leather. Maybe a thinner outsole will make a difference. The 100 hours is probably a guestimate, subject to the usual "YMMV" caveats.

In my experience it's been very obvious what needs to happen with the footbed -- when I put on a newish pair of SDs or BHs I can feel that the arch hump is preventing my heel from properly seating in the heel cup. It almost feels like my heel is hovering slightly above the footbed even though my instep and ball/toes are snug. Locking down my foot well when I lace them up, and then walking a lot gradually makes a difference as the hump start to give a bit and as the sole gets more flexible and starts bending where my foot naturally bends.

Last edited:

theofficialhung

Reaction score
As promised, pictures of the new boots.

NG9p1Fc.jpg

TMQvu8Q.jpg

6QoguZ8.jpg

BGvYbDF.jpg

x45peKM.jpg

5DwJjJN.jpg

fKQPjHo.jpg

OKE8v2h.jpg

FhucICd.jpg

hj4cCad.jpg

ywAMS9g.jpg

These are beastly and look so tough. Gorgeous leather, Whites knocked it out of the park with these. One of my favorite builds I've seen in this thread, can't wait to get my pairs hopefully next month.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are beastly and look so tough. Gorgeous leather, Whites knocked it out of the park with these. One of my favorite builds I've seen in this thread, can't wait to get my pairs hopefully next month.
I second your thoughts, my inexperienced eyes don't see a single flaw in these boots.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a crazy idea, what if White's starts offering Elk tan in tan color? ?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is a crazy idea, what if White's starts offering Elk tan in tan color? ?
Good luck trying to get White's to stock a true tan dress leather... I have tried for years... @discomute recently joined the crusade as well, but alas, to no avail...

Maybe Baker's could make it happen, but I fear a tan dress leather is not in the cards from White's.

It can be done, just not for me I guess... I am a simple man, with simple tastes... so I ask you... is something basic like this too much to ask? I think not...

1611788321195.png
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• 1611788324254.png
    1611788324254.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ThreeLions

Reaction score
I agree... Brown Dress is an amazing leather, and Brown Elk Tan - being Brown Dress' big brother if you will - is even... dare I say it... better!

Somehow, I the thought went through my mind when I was ordering these, the you would be partial to them. Maybe I'll have to think of these as my @Legal Eagles boots.

Mghart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Legal Eagles At some point, wouldn't it be worth just sourcing the leather and having a build done? Obviously theres the added cost associated, but it might get you what you want. I've been contemplating doing that in the future at some point but for now I have my boot purchases planned out for the year already. Theres certain leathers I would think a pair of Whites would look great in, but the likelihood of them ever stocking outside their current catalog probably won't happen.

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Legal Eagles At some point, wouldn't it be worth just sourcing the leather and having a build done? Obviously theres the added cost associated, but it might get you what you want. I've been contemplating doing that in the future at some point but for now I have my boot purchases planned out for the year already. Theres certain leathers I would think a pair of Whites would look great in, but the likelihood of them ever stocking outside their current catalog probably won't happen.

1611793454835.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads