• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alaskaking

Reaction score
I think it may be a "lace to toe" issue, maybe something to do with lasting on the 55? I'm not sure. Mine has a single celastic insert and they looks worse than those
Now that’s REALLY interesting.... Kyle left the impression that it was the absence of the celastic insert that allowed the seam to show, to the point of “we won’t let them be ordered with a soft toe any more.” I don’t build boots, so have no idea why they are like this in mine and not in the thousands of pictures I have looked at since. (These are on a 4811 last). But now that I hear @PACostag also has this WITH the celastic toe, now I’m really curious. Did you find a way to get it to change at all? I mean, besides buying a few more boots to ease the pain.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that’s REALLY interesting.... Kyle left the impression that it was the absence of the celastic insert that allowed the seam to show, to the point of “we won’t let them be ordered with a soft toe any more.” I don’t build boots, so have no idea why they are like this in mine and not in the thousands of pictures I have looked at since. (These are on a 4811 last). But now that I hear @PACostag also has this WITH the celastic toe, now I’m really curious. Did you find a way to get it to change at all? I mean, besides buying a few more boots to ease the pain.

No solution to my knowledge, nor do I have a clue what it's caused by. Here was my pair. I sent Kyle over a note this evening asking about it

IMG_0469.jpg

js0930

Reaction score
No solution to my knowledge, nor do I have a clue what it's caused by. Here was my pair. I sent Kyle over a note this evening asking about it

View attachment 1508564

Just to give one more data point, when I was talking to Whites last week they said the 350 Cutter is always built with a celastic toe because otherwise the toe does weird things with LTT.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alaskaking

Reaction score
No solution to my knowledge, nor d[/QUOT
There sewn seam there. It can be felt on the inside with your hand, and at least with the soft toe you can palpate it through to the top of the cap. Squeezing it with my fingers, I can feel the thread, as if it wasn’t pulled tight enough, or hasn’t “settled out” yet. Pipe cleaner is a good description.
I don’t know what you’ll feel having the toe box sandwiched in between, again, I was under the impression I only had this problem BECAUSE of the soft toe.
Also, if yours look “way worse”, your camera isn’t doing it justice either. I can see it alright, just as clear as mine, but the picture doesn’t make it look quite as bad as I know it does in person. The way certain light hits mine if they have a little shine, it almost looks like the grain of the leather is going in two different directions on either side of that pipe cleaner.
I keep telling myself I’ll get used to it. Everyday.[/QUOTE]

View attachment 1508564

View attachment 1508564
I was told that’s where the two side of the boots co

View attachment 1508564
[/QUOT
There sewn seam there. It can be felt on the inside with your hand, and at least with the soft toe you can palpate it through to the top of the cap. Squeezing it with my fingers, I can feel the thread, as if it wasn’t pulled tight enough, or hasn’t “settled out” yet. Pipe cleaner is a good description.
I don’t know what you’ll feel having the toe box sandwiched in between, again, I was under the impression I only had this problem BECAUSE of the soft toe.
Also, if yours look “worse”, your camera isn’t doing it justice either. I can see it alright, just as clear as mine, but the picture doesn’t make it look quite as bad as I know it does in person. The way certain light hits mine if they have a little shine, it almost looks like the grain of the leather is going in two different directions on either side of that pipe cleaner.
I keep telling myself I’ll get used to it. Everyday.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No solution to my knowledge, nor d[/QUOT
Also, if yours look “way worse”, your camera isn’t doing it justice either. I can see it alright, just as clear as mine, but the picture doesn’t make it look quite as bad as I know it does in person. The way certain light hits mine if they have a little shine, it almost looks like the grain of the leather is going in two different directions on either side of that pipe cleaner.
I keep telling myself I’ll get used to it. Everyday.

maybe it just appears worse to me given the leather, but it was like a straight up spine down the middle. To my eye, yours looks worse with the wear (but that also helps it look more natural i guess, like you scraped your toe on the ground or something).

iamntbatman

Reaction score
The same types of shoes that go with pyjamas?

I don't get it.

I thought about getting one of those Baker's rucksacks as a replacement for my cheapo one, but I really need more external pockets than that (i.e. more than zero).

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many different tones of dark brown does each individual boot come with?
Pull up man. It will be a beautiful brown rainbow. Creases will help.

Moc Latigo from Horween
Did you buy it and send it in? For some reason Moc has really had my attention. Look stellar in your photo. Would love to see more of that pair.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pull up man. It will be a beautiful brown rainbow. Creases will help.

Did you buy it and send it in? For some reason Moc has really had my attention. Look stellar in your photo. Would love to see more of that pair.

I did, and it was a fairly easy process which was nice. I'd love to share more photos, as it was some awesome leather, but they went back due to multiple screw-ups in the makeup and creative liberties while being built...

klank74

Reaction score
For anyone with Whites made in brown dress.... what do you like to clean and condition yours with? I’ve worn mine in some inclement weather recently and noticed they are picking up some smudges and water spots. I really don’t want them to darken at all, I like the sort of “Hershey’s chocolate bar” brown they came in. They also have the contrasting khaki stitching. I currently have Huberds shoe grease ( used for my work boots), which I know will darken them. But I also have Bick 4 and VSC. I’m thinking Bick 4 should achieve what I’m looking for, but I wanted to check with others.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads