• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

chicagoan2016

Reaction score
If you get LTT, make sure you get a celastic toe. There is a longitudinal seam in the toe box that it hides. I did NOT get this warning even after two calls pre custom order. You don't want to look at that seam. Everyday. All day. Even In your dreams.
There is a wealth of practical information on this forum. I can't help think we need to put this information in a better format, may be I am overthinking but I work as a Software Engineer and this could be handled better : ) OR I just need to shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chicagoan2016

Reaction score
Oh Oh!
You are 4 posts in and have managed to push 2 of LE's hot buttons.
This should be fun. I'm going to get some popcorn and watch the show.

Oh, welcome to the gang, it's good to have you. I hope you stay.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! get some pop corn and watch the show!!!
@Legal Eagles did that to me when I asked about CXL a couple months ago lol

Legal Eagles

Reaction score
We want to get into abominations, let’s talk about polishing work boots...

As far as wedge soles are concerned, really comfortable, useful for certain jobs and much easier to keep clean if you are working in a finished environment.
Wearing wedge soles is like riding a moped or having sex with a fat girl (not size-ist, that is just how the joke goes)... all three are fun, but you still do not want your friends to catch you doing it...

chicagoan2016

Reaction score
Dang you guys are quick! Thanks for the responses. Yes I was considering the rambler but my issues are no lace to toe option, the heel looks too thick for my taste (almost like platform shoes) and I want burgundy CXL.

I might go with a normal non-crepe sole build, just debating my options before the Black Friday sale ends.

Just to confirm sizing, the BH is generally roomier in the toes and wider in the ball/width than an MP? So if my MP size is 8E or 8.5E, I could probably fit an 8.5D for the BH?
I recommend you send feet measurements to Baker shoes.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Dang you guys are quick! Thanks for the responses. Yes I was considering the rambler but my issues are no lace to toe option, the heel looks too thick for my taste (almost like platform shoes) and I want burgundy CXL.

I might go with a normal non-crepe sole build, just debating my options before the Black Friday sale ends.

Just to confirm sizing, the BH is generally roomier in the toes and wider in the ball/width than an MP? So if my MP size is 8E or 8.5E, I could probably fit an 8.5D for the BH?
First on sizing: the 55 semi-dress last (the standard Bounty Hunter last) is roomier in the toe box, the same width in the ball, roomier in the instep, and tighter in the heel than the MP.

As for the crepe sole: you're basically stuck with that thick platform heel on the 55 last. Being a high-arch last, there needs to be significant drop between the heel area and the forefoot. The Custom Cougar on Baker's uses a lower-arch last so isn't quite as prominent in this regard. Basically you have to choose: do you want lots of arch support, or a lower heel? It's one or the other.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
True they aren't snakebite proof but definitely better than nothing.
I’m required to wear ANSI rated safety toe boots & if you order the wrong combo of sole or last it might not qualify. Each combo has to be rated individually even though we all know what the deal is.... . .
If I meet a snake that can bite through White’s work leather I’ll just tip my cap & call an ambulance

wordfool

Reaction score
What about a double midsole and wedge sole? :hide:

TBH the only White's boot I can see a wedge sole working on aesthetically is a Kinney Chukka. Even on the Oxford it looks odd IMO (but then I also think the Oxford looks a bit odd, too). Ultimately, however, I have never thought wedgies are very comfortable! YMMV.

John Frum

Reaction score
IMO the way to go for a unisole, on White's NW last, is the venerable Sierra. Self cleaning, tough as nails, and comfortable. And best of all, no triggering of crepe sole sub-cockle sensibilities .
:)

Chrikelnel

Reaction score
I'm considering committing a sin and changing my black semi dress order to lowered block soles. Having tried both I don't really feel a difference in arch support and I think the lowered sole looks better with the unstructured SD.

chicagoan2016

Reaction score
While you guys are talking about 'soles', I can't stop myself looking at Pointed toe packers!!
That will make my third pair of White's.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
I ended up changing my BF order from the MP to 6" BH instead. I will keep the regular woodsman / cuban (whatever you want to call it) heel and forego the crepe hope you're proud of me @Legal Eagles lol.

But I will stick with CXL leather, just now second guessing myself between my original choice of color 8 burgundy vs british tan or brown. I already have a natural CXL boot and don't want to get something too similar, will the natural cxl eventually age into a similar shade as british or brown?

Rymanocerous

Reaction score
I ended up changing my BF order from the MP to 6" BH instead. I will keep the regular woodsman / cuban (whatever you want to call it) heel and forego the crepe hope you're proud of me @Legal Eagles lol.

But I will stick with CXL leather, just now second guessing myself between my original choice of color 8 burgundy vs british tan or brown. I already have a natural CXL boot and don't want to get something too similar, will the natural cxl eventually age into a similar shade as british or brown?
Natural and British tan will all become a darker brown. Variations of it will be based off wear, conditioning, water exposure ect.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.