1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

EastWest, you have any fit experience with Smokejumpers and how they are compared to SDs? Trying to decide if I should stay with my SJ size or not on my very soon SD order. (Yes, I really am going to finally pull the trigger- haha!)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  2. 4characters

4characters Senior member

I’d say SDs in size 10.5D with an insole fit like SJs in size 10D… but getting measured is the best way to go.
    Ask Kyle.[​IMG]

BTW: glad to hear your going to go for it, what config. are you getting?

3. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Righty right :) I'm very seriously considering taking another trip to Whites for a fitting. But then that'll just further delay my order. Decided to go super trad: brown dress, antique brass eyelets and hooks. Unlined uppers, standard trim w/brown stain. still undecided on the soles though! between 269, single leather or double leather

Similar to these
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. cwmi

cwmi Well-Known Member

These are about three months old. They too have the toe cap darker, i think its got something to do with the leather being stretched. These have been oiled, brushed regularly and just the other day i hit them with some clear polish. I like how they turned out and think they are developing a great patina. Sorry about the crappy cell phone pics. Also i have flat feet and the arche ease works great for me. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. aaronjared

aaronjared Active Member

I can't wait until mine start to darken like that!

6. cwmi

cwmi Well-Known Member

The flash didn't really show the true color, they are darker than yours but not quite as dark as the pictures show. Keep brushing them and they will darken.

7. EastWestApparel

EastWestApparel Senior member

B-Ewing,

To me the most straightforward ones are the best. Size: SJ works out about half a size larger than the SD on average, it's definitely a more full boot in the toe and ball area. The best sizing advice from Someone who's been doing it for a little while by proxy now: get comparisons to other brands that you have and nothing beats trying them on!! I've had tracings and measurements sent to me that I've checked through White's and other well known Retailers and more often than not, everyone has offered up different sizing, quite significantly. The tracing unless you go to White's and get it done can be very subjective...sock thickness, pencil angle etc...
    It's to put people off, quite a lot get it right, but if I would have gone with the recommendation everytime then there would be some disappointed and out of pocket people out there. Just my 50p's worth.

8. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

EastWest,

Cheers man. I totally hear ya regarding tracings. I never have had luck doing that either with any kind of clothing!

My sizing:

Brannock: 10D
    Alden Barrie: 9.5D (perfect fit)
    RW Beckmans: 9.5D (a bit but not overly roomy)
    Whites SJs: 10D (a bit but not overly roomy)
    Wesco Motor Patrol engineers: 9.5D
    Converse All Stars: 10
    Clark's Desert Boots: 9.5

So I'm guessing I'm a 10D in SDs?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  9. frankman

frankman Member

B-Ewing,

In regards to your new semi-dress soles,
    the leather soles are awesome but after seven months walking on sidewalks, my right boot sole developed a hole. I sent them back to White's for a warranty evaulation. Jennifer called me to say her craftsmen said the hole was from normal wear so warranty would not cover a re-sole. I'm now having the boots re-soled with a full mini-vibram sole. 3 weeks wait and I have a little less than 2 weeks to go. I'm sure missing my boots but that's how it goes.

Frankman

10. EastWestApparel

Mr B.....Ewing, I would go 9.5E or 10D.......if you go cap toe they will feel more roomy just for info. It's always a bit of a gamble because handmade=variance and the exact same last and size doesn't always fit identical when it comes to the odd mm difference but judging by your current line up I would suggest the above for comfort and possibility of a thicker or half size down for snugness. Cheers.

11. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

^^solid!

Btw- your site has some incredible builds right now! I am eagerly waiting to hear your take on how the no celastic cap toes age :D ;)

[​IMG]

12. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

I think you're a 10D in SemiDress. For me a 12D SemiDress fits exactly the same as my 11.5D Barrie/Trubalance Aldens.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  13. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

Wearing my Classic Brown SD's today. Aww yeah.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. brokeassp

brokeassp Senior member

yeah I went with my brannock size which is the same as my Alden Plaza size which happens to be 1/2 size up from the Barrie so that sounds about right.

15. Ken Paulson

Ken Paulson New Member

I had a similar problem with my packers: weird hole suddenly appeared though the surrounding material seemed intact.I didn't feel like putting out the cash for Canada/US shipping and time, so I had my local shop resole them and they're great, but the guy who worked on them said the midsole leather was weakened, so he reinforced it. A little disappointing, but I walk at least five miles a day on pavement, so I'm used to resoling. I've been told that a rubber or vibram sole would wear longer, but I love the feel of a single leather sole. Like socks with heels.

16. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Guys thx again for all the help. I just placed my order!

Hardware Antique Eyes & Hooks, Celastic Toe Box Single Celastic Toe, Heel Base Standard, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Dress, Toe Cap No Thanks, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Dress, Sole Trim Standard Trim, Last Standard, Leather Liner No Thanks, Pull Loops No Thanks, Size - Width D (medium), Sole Double Leather, Heel Lifts Standard, Edge Brown, Size - Length 10

17. EastWestApparel

Congratulations, sturdy with style.

18. bl@ster

bl@ster Senior member

That's a hell of a loadout, ewing. Post lots of piccies when they arrive (go all 4char on us and post a piccie an hour).

19. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Thx gents, you both helped me out immensely. Yeah, I'll post about a billion pics of each stitch :lol:

20. 4characters

4characters Senior member