• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Netvine

Reaction score
I can usually get smart wool (women’s/neutral) socks here at the 6pm outlet for $6-$10.. for the price I’m sticking with that. Also, women’s cut socks I realized fit more snug than men’s sz9-12.
I did splurge on 5 pair of Chup socks, and I’m not really sure how/why the boot community gravitated to these. They aren’t boot socks. Nice nonetheless, just not the preferred feel I’m looking for. I’d wear them with shoes all day.
What size do you wear in White’s?
I am 8.5D in 55/4811 and often L 9-12 is too big for me But medium can be sometimes too small so This is interesting to me.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can usually get smart wool (women’s/neutral) socks here at the 6pm outlet for $6-$10.. for the price I’m sticking with that. Also, women’s cut socks I realized fit more snug than men’s sz9-12.
I did splurge on 5 pair of Chup socks, and I’m not really sure how/why the boot community gravitated to these. They aren’t boot socks. Nice nonetheless, just not the preferred feel I’m looking for. I’d wear them with shoes all day.
When someone says boot sock, to me that means Hiking and heavy work. Which most people (and Ill venture that extends to this forum as well) aren't doing. So this becomes a sock you wear with a boot.

I wear only Chup and AnonymousIsm with my White's and Vibergs. They are high quality and very attractive. My biggest complaint with the Chups is the lack of elasticity so getting them on can be a chore but they feel great. I have true technical hiking socks if I need a heavy duty work sock; those socks have seen years of abuse and more miles than I can count and are still going strong. On the subject of Darn Tough, I purchased a pair and wasn’t impressed. Added to that, I find their designs to be horrible (yeah Im a whore for an interesting looking socks, dress socks too) and I am super turned off by all of their various versions of cushioning ect. I will never understand why people gravitate towards these…but I don’t have to. Lowkey my favorite boot socks has been the AnonymousIsm quarter socks.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentleman, lets talk about soles, a little more :)
What do you recommend considering I definitely want double midsoles? I don't want to feel the ground.
Love the looks of Vibram 100 lug sole and I wear boots with jeans (casual work environment).
I am planning to order two pairs this Black Friday (depends on annual bonus lol) if not, then definitely one pair. Should I order both pairs with 100 lug soles.
Thank you

klank74

Reaction score
Gentleman, lets talk about soles, a little more :)
What do you recommend considering I definitely want double midsoles? I don't want to feel the ground.
Love the looks of Vibram 100 lug sole and I wear boots with jeans (casual work environment).
I am planning to order two pairs this Black Friday (depends on annual bonus lol) if not, then definitely one pair. Should I order both pairs with 100 lug soles.
Thank you
I vote 100 on one pair and try something different on the other. The only one I have experience with so far is the commando sole. Traction is great so far and it’s not so hard that it transmits a lot of impact to me feet. I’ve only owned them a couple weeks so far though. Don’t know if the commando is doable with double midsoles though, since the actual rubber sole comes already sunk into a thin leather midsole. On my boots, it’s sort of like having 1 1/2 midsoles

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don’t know if the commando is doable with double midsoles though, since the actual rubber sole comes already sunk into a thin leather midsole.
It is doable, and it is awesome!
1604348844061.png

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I happen to be wearing that pair today... they just get better with age... if you do not want to feel the ground, these are for you!
F331C228-F40D-46A8-BF79-D7B1A153C5E0.jpeg

The edges are due for a reapplication of Resolene to bring back color uniformity.

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is beautiful, so this pair has actually two and a half midsoles?
Yep... count them... from the foot bed down:
1&2 are similar in color but darker,
3 is the lighter color one to which the commando rubber sole is attached.
Finally, you have the commando rubber outsole.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool dude! I bet that's black HH?
Could you get contrast stitchin on black HH (I think its an upcharge)?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty cool dude! I bet that's black HH?
Could you get contrast stitchin on black HH (I think its an upcharge)?
Yes, black HH.
When I ordered them, contrast stitching was not an option ... it now is an option.
I think black HH with white contrast stitching, 38 Swing last, medallion cap toe, black edges, block heel, and double leather sole would look classic... kind of like this...
1604351407214.png

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the attached picture from a website
I wonder what kind of sole is that? the gentleman has mentioned he had double midsoles.

In the second picture, you could see a "bulge". Do your black HH boots with double midsoles have this.

Attachments

• WhiteSDdoublemidsoles.PNG
    WhiteSDdoublemidsoles.PNG
    1.7 MB · Views: 174
  • Whitesbulge.jpg
    Whitesbulge.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 175

Netvine

Reaction score
So is the consensus than that Whites new Okanagan sole < 100 sole?

wordfool

Reaction score
When someone says boot sock, to me that means Hiking and heavy work. Which most people (and Ill venture that extends to this forum as well) aren't doing. So this becomes a sock you wear with a boot.

I wear only Chup and AnonymousIsm with my White's and Vibergs. They are high quality and very attractive. My biggest complaint with the Chups is the lack of elasticity so getting them on can be a chore but they feel great. I have true technical hiking socks if I need a heavy duty work sock; those socks have seen years of abuse and more miles than I can count and are still going strong. On the subject of Darn Tough, I purchased a pair and wasn’t impressed. Added to that, I find their designs to be horrible (yeah Im a whore for an interesting looking socks, dress socks too) and I am super turned off by all of their various versions of cushioning ect. I will never understand why people gravitate towards these…but I don’t have to. Lowkey my favorite boot socks has been the AnonymousIsm quarter socks.

I always think of boot socks more in terms of height (ie. slightly taller than "normal" crew height). Beyond that then I guess they should also have some padding. What qualifies a sock as a "true technical hiking sock" to you? properly padded merino socks have always done me good for hiking, but on longer or sweatier hikes I might also use a liner sock as well to guarantee no blisters.

As for Darn Tough, I like them but not religiously. I also have Smartwool, Icebreaker, and a few other minor brands of merino sock, the common factor being I'm cheap and bought them all on sale over the years, and they have enough padding to absorb the gallons of sweat my feet often generate. One thing about DT that works for me is that their sizing seems to fit my foot the best. I'm sort of between sizes for many other brands. Apparently the DT guarantee to replace holed socks for free is also legit, but I've yet to take advantage. Designs are a bit dull, but then any non-dress sock is generally a bit dull.

I'd never heard of Chups or Anonymous-Ism until now. I guess I'm not a fancy-sock person, perhaps because I'm usually either wearing boots or sneakers so socks are either largely invisible or low. Or perhaps the nightmare of having to find "interesting" socks as Xmas presents for fathers and uncles when I was a kid traumatized me enough that I won't now consider them for my own feet!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads