• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sledge42

Reaction score

Legal Eagles

Reaction score
I remember asking you about Horsehide and you highly recommended it. What other types of leather you find 'better'"? I know the word 'better' is very subjective but I would prefer something a ) thicker and b) not have to worry about 'lottery' like in CXL.

So far we have two choices
1) Horsehide
2) Elk tan
3)....
4)....
Better is subjective... don’t leave out French Calf! The best do everything but hard labor albeit at a price premium is horse. Best polishable leather which may see hard use: Elk. Best dress leather: French Calf. Best standard leather for all purposes: brown dress.

montanamike

Reaction score
They are just about as perfect for my feet as I have ever felt. You pair the knowledge of Kyle in sizing and the craftsmanship of Whites. It is a match made in heaven!

I actually found out about Elk tan on this site: https://emptygarage.jp/smokejumper/index.html

Then I found out later on from @Legal Eagles that they made it in black also. Whoo boy. "Take my Money!!"
We are living parallel boot lives. That is also where I first found out about elk tan and how I found out black elk tan specifically...

Am I correct that the brown isnt dyed through? It appears to be quite similar to brown dress in tone. If you have dress brown, is that fair to say?

Sledge42

Reaction score
We are living parallel boot lives. That is also where I first found out about elk tan and how I found out black elk tan specifically...

Am I correct that the brown isnt dyed through? It appears to be quite similar to brown dress in tone. If you have dress brown, is that fair to say?
I don't own any Brown Dress, so I cannot compare sadly. I know there are a lot of people who own it and love it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's