• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

chicagoan2016

Reaction score
I watched the video, and he doesn't actually deconstruct the boots to that level like in the photos on camera. Actually, he never uses the word "cork" on camera, either. The only "cork" mentioned in the video is in the side view, like in your second photo, where it looks like all leather to me, but the video has text that says there's cork.

If there is cork, as in your first and third photos, why didn't he show that on camera?
Good points, I have posted a screenshot from his video, right at the moment where the caption reads "middle layer of cork" and I couldn't find the cork in that screeshot.

Bigtophat

Reaction score
Please share the link to this cut away page, I want to read more about it.
Thanks

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I watched the video, and he doesn't actually deconstruct the boots to that level like in the photos on camera. Actually, he never uses the word "cork" on camera, either. The only "cork" mentioned in the video is in the side view, like in your second photo, where it looks like all leather to me, but the video has text that says there's cork.

If there is cork, as in your first and third photos, why didn't he show that on camera?
I imagine there wasn't much emphasis placed on it in the video because he didn't think the cork was a big deal. It certainly didn't register with me as an issue the first time I watched it; loads of boots use cork, and personally I don't see any issue with it. It's really the flat-out denial of the use of cork from White's, juxtaposed with the photos from Carl Murowski that appear to clearly show cork filler, that has me more than a little confused.

Nor do I doubt Carl's motives. If his intent was to besmirch White's in some way for using cork, I doubt he would have treated it as such a non-issue in the video, and then only produced the photos confirming the cork when someone who picked up on it asked him to. My guess is he just didn't make too much of it at the time. The photo's he provided when asked seem fairly conclusive though.

Here's another fun piece of the puzzle. Division Road have a 350 logger boot collab with White's, and in their product description, it says 'Cork Filled Insole'. Now, of course, it's possible Division Road spec'd that as part of their collab, or that the product page is inaccurate. Who knows?

Last edited:

Whaley

Reaction score
Ok last time I’ll respond as I’m making my self look about as dumb as I am. The MP used to use a thin layer of cork to stop squeaks from the leather on leather. The corking part of that process was stopped before my time. I’ve watched the MP being built from start to finish hundreds of times that is why I was so confused. Carl was in fact correct on that pair of boots. The only purpose of the cork was to stop the squeaking.

stevep1991

Reaction score
Ok last time I’ll respond as I’m making my self look about as dumb as I am. The MP used to use a thin layer of cork to stop squeaks from the leather on leather. The corking part of that process was stopped before my time. I’ve watched the MP being built from start to finish hundreds of times that is why I was so confused. Carl was in fact correct on that pair of boots. The only purpose of the cork was to stop the squeaking.
To add, if anyone has seen the Rose Anvil video of the Iron Rangers cut in half, it's pretty obvious that there's no cork in the MPs, and if there is, it must be incredibly subtle. The Iron Rangers are obviously well known for the use of cork, and that layer is pretty obvious when you see the cut-in-half view. When you look at the MP shots from Carl's video vs. the Iron Ranger, the difference is very apparent.

Attachments

Jimk4003

Reaction score
That's that cleared up. I love a happy ending.

Really appreciate you taking the time to engage with us on here, @Whaley; it can't be easy with us lot constantly asking questions.

chicagoan2016

Reaction score
I am glad you made it clear. I would recommend White's representative(s) respond to comments on places like styleforum, reddit etc. I have seen comments made by Nick's representative (s) that were not positive (to say the least) about White's products.
Some of the posts on reddit are classic examples of 'Sampling Error and Bias' ( I am a practicing Engineer), like this

They picked one pair of White's and it appears they selected 'best' parts from their shop and tried to disparage White's boots by comparing both, not a great example of marketing I would say.

Last edited:

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Glad everything is cleared up.

+1 about that...I noticed those same threads and thought they were suspect, to say the least. To me it seems very unprofessional to have a company employee make a post in the name of just putting information out there where the goal is clearly to market theirs as the superior product. Kind of shady business if you ask me.

biglfat

Reaction score
I am glad you made it clear. I would recommend White's representative(s) respond to comments on places like styleforum, reddit etc. I have seen comments made by Nick's representative (s) that were not positive (to say the least) about White's products.
Some of the posts on reddit are classic examples of 'Sampling Error and Bias' ( I am a practicing Engineer), like this

They picked one pair of White's and it appears they selected 'best' parts from their shop and tried to disparage White's boots by comparing both, not a great example of marketing I would say.

Totally agree! I have no doubts about the quality of Nick's boots. However, the way they are doing marketing on social media and forums is embarrassed. It sounds like they're trying to belittle or bring down others.

chicagoan2016

Reaction score
One other thing I liked about White's and a great example of fair 'Pricing', e.g. their smoke jumpers that are handsewn and priced at $539.95
another pair of boots are Helitack and these boots have Mckay stitchdown construction but they are sold at $439.95
So the prices go down a $100 from handsewn to Mckay construction in White's boots.
Nick's boots have Mckay construction, you have to pay extra for handsewn construction.

montanamike

Reaction score
To be fair, the poster referred to was putting out a good bit of boot related information before they were related to Nicks in any way. The story of how he ended up there is pretty cool. My experience has been they are neutral to complimentary when visiting there.

sambam

Reaction score
It all boils down to personal preference. Viberg, Wesco, Nicks, White's. We all build them a little different. Some machine more, hand welt, Mckay stitch. All use the same basic tanneries as far as sole, midsole and upper leather. All will outlast any other manufacturers boots in the world. We at White's are always trying to make the best product and try to back it with exceptional customer service. Adding cork was to help fix the squeak issue and we didn't take anything out of the boot. So it didn't lessen the product. The double row cap stitch was only done for a short period to help upper sewing efficiency. Wasn't a time saver so we have since gone back to stitching both lines through the vamp. With 1000's of toe caps out there, none have come back with issues and none will. It a Ford/Chevy thing. Everyone should be happy that they have so many quality boot makers in the PNW who are still fighting to stay in business. We will never bad mouth any of them because we no how hard it is to keep the doors open. So choose what fits your style and your feet.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's