• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I like it on my dress brown so took the next logical step. The contrast stitching on my vintage Filson jackets was what drove the idea.
I like contrast stitching but how to make sure the stitching stays 'white'? I have some Allen Edmonds with contrast stitching on welt but even with neutral conditioner/polish the stitching still gets dark with time.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Didn’t say they shouldn’t be compared. Just said a better comparison would be a 350. The boot you are talking about that was referenced in the video is in fact built on a 55 last. The 350 is also built on a 55 last.

The MP is more of a dress boot. Still hand welted, hand sewn with stitch down construction. It’s meant to be a sleeker boot. That’s the entire point of the thinner midsole and heal counter.. if you want something that looks like the other boot in the video order a Cruiser with a cap toe. We also have a crap ton of different soles you can order with whatever boot.

hope that helps. Definitely not trying to be rude or anything like that. You ever want to hop on a call just shoot me a DM. Always down to answer any questions you might have.
Very interesting, thank you.

Just to clarify, Nick's say the Americana in the video isn't built on the 55 last. There's currently a reddit thread posted by the Nick's lead fitter comparing arch support between Nick's and White's, and the video gets mentioned in the comments. The Nick's employee, when asked if he's seen the video, replies; "I saw it! Neither the MP, nor the Americana have these arch pieces however. They are both made with less of an arch support than the 55 lasts" (bold emphasis mine).

That's obviously different to your take. For what it's worth, the Nick's product page does say the Americana uses the lower-profile HNW last, and not the 55 last.

montanamike

Reaction score
I like contrast stitching but how to make sure the stitching stays 'white'? I have some Allen Edmonds with contrast stitching on welt but even with neutral conditioner/polish the stitching still gets dark with time.
My experience with another comparable maker from Spokane is it darkens some. My personal opinion is most conditioning is done too heavily, too often. This is my opinion only though and I advise others to "surf the wave you like"

Whaley

Reaction score
Very interesting, thank you.

Just to clarify, Nick's say the Americana in the video isn't built on the 55 last. There's currently a reddit thread posted by the Nick's lead fitter comparing arch support between Nick's and White's, and the video gets mentioned in the comments. The Nick's employee, when asked if he's seen the video, replies; "I saw it! Neither the MP, nor the Americana have these arch pieces however. They are both made with less of an arch support than the 55 lasts" (bold emphasis mine).

That's obviously different to your take. For what it's worth, the Nick's product page does say the Americana uses the lower-profile HNW last, and not the 55 last.

was definitely wrong on the last.Stand corrected. Fixed the original post.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Carl has always had a bias toward Nick’s. He is a superb videographer but clearly he has some better research to do.

Yup, this. I was surprised to see so many here jump to the conclusion that the quality was slipping and that there was secret cork in White's based solely (hehe) on this video. I've seen several pretty high-profile boot oriented YouTube channels where they get lots of things wrong about what they're reviewing and it's quite irritating.

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purdy, especially the stitching on the Aldens. What laces are those on the White's? I'm always on the hunt for new, chunky lace options
These are just off some Chippewa Service boots (the kind limited run service boots that came in Horween Dublin)

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, this. I was surprised to see so many here jump to the conclusion that the quality was slipping and that there was secret cork in White's based solely (hehe) on this video. I've seen several pretty high-profile boot oriented YouTube channels where they get lots of things wrong about what they're reviewing and it's quite irritating.
Carl is very kind to reply to my comment and shared some pics that show cork on MPs
Here is link to his video

And here is link to the pics he shared

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carl is very kind to reply to my comment and shared some pics that show cork on MPs

From Carl:
Carl Murawski
4 hours ago
I know Whaley and he's a good guy, he certainly wouldn't lie. However, I have the remains of this MP boot in front of me and there is definitely cork stuck to the midsole. https://carlmurawski.tumblr.com/post/630435566431928321 It's possible that they changed manufacturing techniques after my pair was made.

Looks like someone has some 'splaining to do...

@Whaley, your rebuttal?

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1601246503923.gif

Jimk4003

Reaction score

Hmmm...that's definitely cork.

I'm actually not that fussed about cork being used in footwear; loads of brands use it. I am fussed about companies being honest about what they're selling though, and White's previous statement that there's no cork in the MP boot was pretty unambiguous.

The plot thickens ;)

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I watched the video, and he doesn't actually deconstruct the boots to that level like in the photos on camera. Actually, he never uses the word "cork" on camera, either. The only "cork" mentioned in the video is in the side view, like in your second photo, where it looks like all leather to me, but the video has text that says there's cork.

If there is cork, as in your first and third photos, why didn't he show that on camera?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads