Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. climbinglife

climbinglife Senior member

My White's took 12 weeks. I was told 5. Your gonna wear em for life, i can wait the extra few weeks.

2. 4characters

4characters Senior member

Now that’s a long wait! Though, worth it I imagine; Shell Alden’s are so wonderful.
    You have good taste in footwear.

3. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

Those stories make me feel a little better - kudos everybody

4. rasmantonio

rasmantonio New Member

I have a question that I'm sure one of the fine gentlemen that frequent this forum will be able to answer. I am looking to get a leather soled pair of Semi Dress boots and would like to know if there is any discernable difference in a boot with a double midsole and a single leather sole, and a boot with a single midsole and a double leather sole?

5. EastWestApparel

EastWestApparel Senior member

Hi Rasmontonio,

In essence I think you re asking about the same thing? Just for info, Whites will not do a triple leather sole, however it is dressed up, it's either double mid and vibram outer of just double leather sole. Hope that helps.

6. EastWestApparel

Yeah, it has an ugliness in a pug type of way. Don't let it put you off, a good leather will make it look a lot different. Think I will be ordering one for myself or stock at some point in the near future.

A lot of the Vibergs have non-toe box cap toes and they look v nice.

7. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

Yeah man, im totally with you on the Vibergs. The 2030 service boot with brogue toe cap and no celastic, well worn looks amazing. You think the standard last SDs can achieve a similar look?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

8. EastWestApparel

No reason why they shouldn't, they are similar weight leather and to me the White's feel more solid....they'll just be a more full shape than the 2030.

9. b-ewing

b-ewing Senior member

@EWA, judging by your make-ups I think its safe to say you're a big proponent of the lowered block heel, and so i am interested to hear your perspective.

My concern has been that the last was made for a specific heel (height, shape and position), and that altering it would make the boot fit funny.

Having said that the two SDs on your site look spot on perfect to me, so it's very likely the way ill go. Otherwise it'll be the standard Cuban heel (I personally don't like the look of the lowered Cuban heel)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

10. planetarium

planetarium Senior member

I've tried on models with lowered heels and find they feel like the last has been tilted back. Nothing else is done to them to compensate for the lower heel.

11. Okal

Okal Well-Known Member

I just talked to Baker's and got the tracking number for my new HH SDs. Delivery is estimated as next Tuesday, June 25. If the boots arrive that day, exactly 14 weeks will have elapsed from the day I placed my order to the day of delivery. That's a long time, but only a fraction of the time it took me to get my Russell boots on the two occasions I ordered those. If the White's are a good fit and are comfortable to wear all day, they will have been well worth the wait. I'll see how they turn out and will give my comments here.

I only like the block heel when lowered 1/4", but the Cuban heel looks the best to me and generally best at its full height.

Allan

12. EastWestApparel

Hope they work for you okal.

The strongest opinion and debate on Whites understandably seems to be heel configs with regards to looks and function/ comfort.

All I can really say is that the standard height does seem to feel more correct when it's on but I personally don't feel that the lowered feels wrong in any way. Once the leather "arch ease" settles to your foot shape I would still say it's the most glove like supportive boot I've worn.

In terms of looks, it's all preference but on me I like the lowered block more, don't feel I can carry off the Cuban as well as some others I've seen, plus I like low profile boots, they go with a lot more leg wear IMO.

Just my tuppence worth as we'd say.

13. ffatt

ffatt Senior member

Possible to get a top down view to do color comparison

14. EastWestApparel

Hi ffatt,

Take a look at the leather samples on the Eadt West Apparel website where they are all shown.

Cheers. J.

15. IIIrd Icon

IIIrd Icon Senior member

'got the Viberg soft-toe semi-brogue on 2005 last & the SD HH x Bison TC+backstay on swing last w/celastic .... not for every1, i know, but i like the assortment + it serves a purpose for me.

IMO, for the toe-capped build up to work w/o celastic, the toe box has to be narrower & lower profiled.