• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
Any votes on lace color for my new BH? I like the tan but the brown looks good
image.jpg
too. Probably leaning towards tan at the moment.

discomute

Reaction score
I definitely prefer the shoe trees with the double tubes connecting the front and back, like these: View attachment 1399465

To the ones with a single tube like these:

View attachment 1399466

They just seem way sturdier, and in my experience the little flat bit of metal at the front of the brass tube in the latter sometimes gets somewhat bent and they don't operate as smoothly.
I'm the exact opposite. I much prefer the single tube. I find the expansion of the toe fits a lot better. I also find the corner of the double tree occasionally gets caught on removal.

To the above poster - they look black and brown/tan on this phone. I prefer the darker one on the left.

wordfool

Reaction score
The darker laces (which do look black). The perfect color would be inbetween the two IMO -- the same brown as the leather core. What leather is that? Black dress?

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
The darker laces (which do look black). The perfect color would be inbetween the two IMO -- the same brown as the leather core. What leather is that? Black dress?
Man. The laces are brown but they do look pretty close to black. Yeah I like that thought. Would look classy. They are brown dress

wordfool

Reaction score
Man. The laces are brown but they do look pretty close to black. Yeah I like that thought. Would look classy. They are brown dress
What brand laces are those? I have some brown dress SDs and after seeing all the images here of that leather looking almost black I was slightly surprised to see in the flesh that it is definitely, unmistakably brown (albeit quite dark). I have some black dress BHs arriving tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see the contrast in reality.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
What brand laces are those? I have some brown dress SDs and after seeing all the images here of that leather looking almost black I was slightly surprised to see in the flesh that it is definitely, unmistakably brown (albeit quite dark). I have some black dress BHs arriving tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see the contrast in reality.
Pretty sure they are Kirby Allison braided laces.
Just snagged a few pics of the two new pairs. First are SDs in Brown HH, second are BH in brown dress
3704E0A3-9D1F-47B3-9E52-6DA3E3B81BE8.jpeg
BA6CF4F1-D152-4ADB-B85B-D83DE1A76B29.jpeg
969E102F-B1BC-49DD-A91F-8B38D4963649.jpeg

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
My vote is for the dark laces.

And that brown dress looks unbeatable 🤛🏼🤛🏼. Like it even more than the brown HH.
Me too! I was pretty surprised as I thought the HH would be the gems. The brown dress is excellent

Legal Eagles

Reaction score
Topy add on from bakers. I wanted to keep these low profile and I really enjoy my other pair with themView attachment 1399726
Here is something I always wondered... if Bakers adds the Topy after the boot is made at White's, how does Baker's get the stitching to go through the Topy as shown above? It looks to me like the Topy was in place when the welt stitching was performed, but that would belie the idea that Bakers added the Topy post production...

Maybe I just spend too much time thinking about boots.

Rymanocerous

Reaction score
Here is something I always wondered... if Bakers adds the Topy after the boot is made at White's, how does Baker's get the stitching to go through the Topy as shown above? It looks to me like the Topy was in place when the welt stitching was performed, but that would belie the idea that Bakers added the Topy post production...

Maybe I just spend too much time thinking about boots.
I thought I heard that when Baker's is doing a sole, White's sends the boots without so they can finish it up? Regardless, Bakers does resoles, so it wouldn't be a big deal for them to take it apart and re-do it.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.