• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

discomute

Reaction score
I'm 6 foot 1.5 inches and love to be 6'3 or 6,5
Nearly 6'2 and size 10 feet and sometimes I feel like a midget on this thread. I think one person has smaller feet than me. What sort of monster DNA are you all running?

paulraphael

Reaction score
Nearly 6'2 and size 10 feet and sometimes I feel like a midget on this thread. I think one person has smaller feet than me. What sort of monster DNA are you all running?
Maybe people who don't suffer at least a little bit from gigantism stay away from boots that weigh as much as cinder blocks.

Mr.Chest

Reaction score
5’ 9” midge over here just kicking it in my whites.

paulraphael

Reaction score
A question for the White's veterans about care products. I see lots of opinions about conditioners. Do you have any favorite shoe trees or brushes?

Rymanocerous

Reaction score
A question for the White's veterans about care products. I see lots of opinions about conditioners. Do you have any favorite shoe trees or brushes?
I have always stuck with the Allen Edmonds cedar trees and horsehair brush. Lots of people will tell you Woodlore and then they will tell you that they make all the trees for evenone else, so you shouldn't pay more. Their aesthetic is different if that matters to you. Holding them both side by side, I do feel the Woodlore trees are a lower quality.

I'm sure Woodlore does make trees for everyone else, and Im also sure, there are different requirements/quality tiers across their customers, which isn't a new concept for factories.

On the AE, I have found the knob style to be a larger tree in general vs the standard full toe. I prefer the standard, but for my whites, the knob tress work fine.

Sledge42

Reaction score
Woodlore trees are a division of AE. Wholly owned subsidiary.

wordfool

Reaction score
Generic horsehair brush for me, and I don’t use shoe trees. If I’m not going to be wearing boots for a while I just stuff them with paper (the same type many shoes/boots are stuffed with when new) and store them in generic cotton shoes bags.

andy b.

Reaction score
I'm aware of the arch support tradeoff. This is a rather annoying design flaw. There's no good reason arch support should be tied to heel height. In other shoes (like running shoes) there's no connection between arch height and forefoot drop. But anyway. I'll live with it. The standard heel is too high for me and would be a deal breaker.

I'm fine with the gait of square heels. Every traditional hiking boot ever made had them. I suspect the undercut starts to help when heels get high, as you suggest.
I think there might be a misconception on the relationship between arch support and heel height. The last (and form of the arch) is the same. The only difference is the number of layers of leather in the heel. So the "arch support" doesnt change, your heel is just higher or lower. If you glued a 1/4" thick piece of rubber to the heel of a pair of running shoes, it would change the "arch support" the same as adding a 1/4" thick piece of leather to a Whites heel.
You might notice this change, that I can't say. But Whites doesn't have different lasts for each model based on heel height.

paulraphael

Reaction score
I think there might be a misconception on the relationship between arch support and heel height. The last (and form of the arch) is the same. The only difference is the number of layers of leather in the heel. So the "arch support" doesnt change, your heel is just higher or lower. If you glued a 1/4" thick piece of rubber to the heel of a pair of running shoes, it would change the "arch support" the same as adding a 1/4" thick piece of leather to a Whites heel.
You might notice this change, that I can't say. But Whites doesn't have different lasts for each model based on heel height.
This makes 100% sense ... except that adding or subtracting from the heel (or drop) of a running shoe doesn't change my perception of the arch support. I've never heard anyone suggest that it would. I wonder why so many people believe the heel height changes the support with the White's boots. At any rate, it's a relief that it doesn't really change the arch.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generic horsehair brush for me, and I don’t use shoe trees. If I’m not going to be wearing boots for a while I just stuff them with paper (the same type many shoes/boots are stuffed with when new) and store them in generic cotton shoes bags.
If you are not wearing boots for a while, they are fine. It is when you take them off and the sweat from your feet in the leather starts to dry, it can shrink the leather that as absorbed the most salt water (sweat) and cause the shoe/boot to become misshapen or creased at best.

Here is a short video showing what happens.

Last edited:

wordfool

Reaction score
If you are not wearing boots for a while, they are fine. It is when you take them off and the sweat from your feet in the leather starts to dry, it can shrink the leather that as absorbed the most salt water (sweat) and cause the shoe/boot to become misshapen or creased at best.
Eh, I've never used trees in boots for the last 20+ years and not noticed any problem with the leather like that (and my feet sweat a lot). Maybe dress shoes are different overall? I wouldn't know because I don't really wear them. I do make sure I let boots air dry thoroughly before putting them away, but other than that I don't do anything particularly special with them. I just wear them, occasionally clean/condition them, and assume they won't last forever.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I definitely prefer the shoe trees with the double tubes connecting the front and back, like these:
1591124314204.png

To the ones with a single tube like these:

1591124350695.png

They just seem way sturdier, and in my experience the little flat bit of metal at the front of the brass tube in the latter sometimes gets somewhat bent and they don't operate as smoothly.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, I've never used trees in boots for the last 20+ years and not noticed any problem with the leather like that (and my feet sweat a lot). Maybe dress shoes are different overall? I wouldn't know because I don't really wear them. I do make sure I let boots air dry thoroughly before putting them away, but other than that I don't do anything particularly special with them. I just wear them, occasionally clean/condition them, and assume they won't last forever.
To each their own. Most people on here keep trees in their shoes. Maybe the rugged leather in these boots is not as sensitive as calf BUT there are still leather liners and insoles to take care of. Overall, it is a very inexpensive investment for $500-$600 of boots. I have had boots crack prematurely that I did not have trees in. I then ordered the same exact pair and wore them through 4 winters with trees (vs 1.5 without). This was in my younger days when I had one pair of boots.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there's been a lot of discussion in the past few days in the leather properties thread about boots and shoe trees in case y'all are interested

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.