• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is brown. Dark beautiful sexy buttery brown.
Elk Tan also comes in Black... it is a great leather... like Dress leather on steroids. I like it for boots which may see heavy use, but which you still may want to “dress up”. Someone was asking about Elk Tan with some age... these are 2 years old...
DE8C1F2B-AF61-4E1B-9FA8-9D214FF8D821.jpeg
BA67BE81-7ABB-4563-B6AF-EA9F90424C27.jpeg

Sledge42

Reaction score
@Legal Eagles once my HH arrive and I get to spend some time with them, I do have a black leather build I am itching to get built.
It will be in either Black HH or Black Elk Tan.

motojobobo

Reaction score
Legal Eagles, your post # 10075 is one of the most useful guides in this thread: very clear, concise, full of on-point info, easy to understand and comprehensive at the same time. My delayed thanks for it!!

I’m trying to decide on a pair of black boots primarily for motorcycle use in/around town. They’ll probably be a Bounty Hunter makeup. I strongly favor lasts with strong arch ease, so a 55 is high up on my wishlist compared to the Main Street makeups.

I thought I had narrowed it down to black HH but the recent black elk tan option sounds mega enticing (and cheaper). I know either leather will make an excellent boot so it I am essentially nitpicking...but I figure I am in good company in this thread on that count. Is Elk Tan elk leather? Any other info on it which may help deciding between it and HH?

Beyond the choice of leather, I’m also debating single vs double midsole. I’m 6’1” and 190 lbs. I have a single midsole Farmer Rancher 4811 last which I am super happy about. That boot’s primary function is ranch work, and occasionally goes on bikes rides. But a double midsole, in black, may look nice on the bike. Anybody have pics of one?

Thank to everyone who can offer opinions and comments.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Legal Eagles, your post # 10075 is one of the most useful guides in this thread: very clear, concise, full of on-point info, easy to understand and comprehensive at the same time. My delayed thanks for it!!

I thought I had narrowed it down to black HH but the recent black elk tan option sounds mega enticing (and cheaper). I know either leather will make an excellent boot so it I am essentially nitpicking...but I figure I am in good company in this thread on that count. Is Elk Tan elk leather? Any other info on it which may help deciding between it and HH?
Thank you for the kind words... perhaps these comparison pictures can help you decide...

I will let you in on a little secret... from 5 feet away, you cannot tell the difference between HH, Elk Tan, and Black Dress... from 3 feet away you still cannot tell the difference... and from one foot away, maybe one can discern a very subtle difference in the "sheen" of the horse, but even that may be my imagination.

Since visually they are almost identical, I differentiate on wear characteristics. If I needed a pure black work boot, I would pick oil tan... if I wanted a tough boot that might get abused, but I still wanted to be able to clean it up and have it presentable, I would go Elk Tan. If I wanted a dress/casual boot not destined for hard use, I would go Horsehide if you want the cachet and your budget allows it (or if you can really see a visual difference), or Black Dress if you don't feel like springing for the horse. All the leathers are great and will serve you well.

The motorcycle question is interesting... you want abrasion resistance... which the HH has by virtue of its nature and the Elk Tan has by virtue of its thickness... I think Elk Tan would serve you just as well, at a better price point, and I personally think HH is too "nice" to use in an application where the boot is destined for hard use or abuse.... it can take it, but why do that to a premium leather? But it is ultimately your budget.

The three boots in these photos are (in not particular order) Black Dress, Black Elk Tan, and Black HH. Ask yourself if you can really see a difference. Also notice the midsoles... one is double plus commando (like a triple) one is double mid plus Vibram, and one is double leather... for a motorcycle I would go with double mid and the Vibram of your choice for traction on gravel when you have to put your foot down.

Seriously, as much as I love HH, in black - even up close - only you will know the difference.

Spoiler: L-R (HH, Black Dress, Black Elk Tan)
IMG-4302.JPG
IMG-4301.JPG
IMG-4300.JPG
IMG-4299.JPG
IMG-4303.JPG

motojobobo

Reaction score
+ 1 @Legal Eagles ; seriously awesome and helpful post. Thank you. I’ll mull this over tonight and probably come back tomorrow with my mind made up, or possibly a followup question.

Happy to get comments from anyone else as I make up my mind!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+ 1 @Legal Eagles ; seriously awesome and helpful post. Thank you. I’ll mull this over tonight and probably come back tomorrow with my mind made up, or possibly a followup question.

Happy to get comments from anyone else as I make up my mind!
As a motorcycle rider, I would stay away from a double mid sole boot as that may take away some of your feel in the controls. Most motorcycle boots have pretty flexible soles for this reason.

If you ride a cruiser it may not matter but anything a bit sportier and you want more feel. I ride a Superduke and I have a pair of White's engineers that I'm trying to ride with. Even with a regular sole, it's pushing it but doable. Obviously, any track sessions or if I'm going out for a sportier ride and I'm wearing proper motorcycle boots.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not know where this Rose Anvil channel has been all my life, but I am enthralled...
The deconstruction of the N*ck's Builder Pro was fascinating... I imagine White's is similar...
And the nails do in fact throw security screeners for a loop...
If you were never quite sure how a PNW boot was built, watching him take one apart is instructive.
Compare the PNW boots to the Iron Ranger or Timberland, and you can see there is really no comparison.
You may want to clear your calendar to watch all his videos... enjoy!

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do not know where this Rose Anvil channel has been all my life, but I am enthralled...
The deconstruction of the N*ck's Builder Pro was fascinating... I imagine White's is similar...
If you were never quite sure how a PNW boot was built, watching him take one apart is instructive.
Compare the PNW boots to the Iron Ranger or Timberland, and you can see there is really no comparison.

Yeah, I love that channel.

klank74

Reaction score

Well, I guess I know what I'll be watching in my free time for the next few weeks. Thanks....I think. ;)

paulraphael

Reaction score
Kyle received my outlines after 3+ weeks in the mail, so I'm ready to go. Just looking for advice on a couple of details.

Here's my plan:

Bounty Hunters
6”
Distressed smooth
cream lined
antique eyes and hooks
Mini vib 430 sole
Straight block heel
Heel height –1/4”
leather laces
no celastic, plain toe
straight top
normal trim (2 rows stitches)
single midsole

Questions:
-For edge color, do you suggest natural or brown? I'll waterproof these, so I expect the leather to darken somewhat.
-Do I remember right that there's an option to seal the sole edges? Anything I should know about this?
-Anything else I should think about?

MikeLimaPapa

Reaction score
Kyle received my outlines after 3+ weeks in the mail, so I'm ready to go. Just looking for advice on a couple of details.

Here's my plan:

Bounty Hunters
6”
Distressed smooth
cream lined
antique eyes and hooks
Mini vib 430 sole
Straight block heel
Heel height –1/4”
leather laces
no celastic, plain toe
straight top
single midsole

Questions:
-For edge color, do you suggest natural or brown? I'll waterproof these, so I expect the leather to darken somewhat.
-Do I remember right that there's an option to seal the sole edges? Anything I should know about this?
Edge dressing color is dependent on how you intend to use the boots. A natural edge is great for casual and work boots, whereas a brown edge will move it up maybe a half notch on the dress scale.

I went with natural on mine (same leather, sole, and trim options as yours) with the idea that I can always sand and apply brown edge dressing later if I want. But mine also have a steel toe and are used in a hybrid office/manufacturing workplace setting.

Attachments

wordfool

Reaction score
Tell me more about Elk Tan leather. I assume it's a special request thing since it's not an option on the Bakers/White websites, in which case is there a price premium like HH?

Actually ,just did a search and found this back in 2016 from sambam: "Dry tan, elk tan and dress are the same leathers. Different tanneries call them different names. Just a matter of leather weight. Dry and elk 6.5 to 7 and dress 5.5 to 6 ounces".

Yet from the images above it looks like Elk Tan is pure black like oil tan, while dress is (now) a teacore leather, although older versions of dress leather looks like they're dyed through as well. And is Dry Tan the same as Oil Tan? Consider me confused!

Last edited:

discomute

Reaction score

Here's my plan:

Bounty Hunters
6”
Distressed smooth
cream lined
antique eyes and hooks
Mini vib 430 sole
Straight block heel
Heel height –1/4”
leather laces
no celastic, plain toe
straight top
single midsole

Questions:
Could you tell us a bit more about your intended use?

I agree with @MikeLimaPapa that natural is fine for most uses, brown dresses it up a bit. Both my black and brown edged shoes have needed redoing fairly quickly but for some reason my resolene seems to last longer than factory dressing did. Distressed Smooth is quite far from "dress" so I'd lean towards natural.

Can I ask why you are opting for a -1/4 heel, aren't these your first boots? And what makes you want to go with a straight heel? Classics are classics for a reason, I've never adjusted heel height, but I can say my curved/standard/Cuban (or however you refer to them) BH's are easier to walk in than my straight Main Streets.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.