• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the shivman

Reaction score
I'd go with one of the work leathers, they seem to be the most durable. Go for chromexcel if you want a little more flash to them.

Definitely go double midsole. For sole I'd go vibram 700 or vibram 100 depending on how much traction, and how durable you want them to be.

Last edited:

andy b.

Reaction score
Brian,

I have the double midsoles on my SJs, and I don't think it makes them excessively stiff. I mean White's boots are kind of stiff to begin with, and the double midsole definitely doesn't make them twice as stiff. My feet still flex in them. It isn't like I strapped a piece of 2x4 to my foot.

Andy B.

Brian Itzaina

Reaction score
Thanks guys,

White's Boots Nomad Engineer
Heel Base Standard, Heel Lifts Standard, Edge Natural, Size - Width D (medium), Size - Length 8.5, Toe Vamp Leather Brown Smooth, Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Smooth, Midsole Double, Counter Leather Brown Smooth, Sole Vibram 430 Mini Vib

I like the idea of 2 tone for these considering 90% of the time most will be under my pants but I don't know how I would decide on a 2 tone combo?

Okal

Reaction score
Oops! Double posted. See below.

Allan

Last edited:

Okal

Reaction score
Brian,

Sounds like you have planned a great build. Nothing wrong at all with a two-tone leather combination, but I have always found that the simpler boots tend to go well in more environments. Obviously, boots that will be used primarily for riding motorcycles don't need to fit into lots of multi-use conditions, so a two-tone boot could look really good in those circumstances. You know the various leathers well and are probably in the best position to pick for yourself, but I think smooth distressed leather on the bottom parts would look really good with smooth brown on the uppers. The bottoms would get more wear and patina over time and would continue to darken and have more variation to blend with the brown uppers. I think that would look great with a motorcycle, or just for wearing around with jeans. I'm only thinking out loud. Don't pay much attention to my thoughts. I expect you will have much better ideas.

Allan

P.S. Check out Urb's boots at post #1637 to see the distressed smooth brown leather on the bottom with a second brown leather (Chromexel) on the uppers. I like the idea of the smooth brown for the tops of Nomads where you want more rigidity over time along with the added durability.

Last edited:

jim13g

Reaction score
Check these out. got them for my girlfriend. 7B, 10 inch height, custom leg measure, All Brown Smooth, half slip (we both like the extra 1/4 in height and firmness), antique eyelets, tan leather lined. They are basically the "Hunter" version on the White's website customized with Brown Smooth and antique eyelets.

Okal

Reaction score

You must have a pretty bad ass girlfriend.

The boots look great, but a reference to "bad ass" is not considered a compliment to a woman where I come from! :)

Allan

P.S. You know I'm teasing -- right?

Last edited:

Brian Itzaina

Reaction score
Does anyone have information on the boot company Buffalo Boots? Apparently built by white's from what I understand but can not find anything from searching. I am looking at a pair of smokejumpers online that are labeled and stamped Buffalo Boots Spokane WA. They also look to be either Bullhide or Voyager black but cannot tell. Any idea on how old these might be?

Any insight is appreciated!

thanks

Animaltraffic

Reaction score
Hi Brian,

That's really cool that you saw those. White's did make the Buffalo Boot about 15 years ago and they're still making the same model but now it's part of their Hathorn Hi-Line series. The White's Smokejumper is still going to be the highest quality boot, but the the Hi-Line will look the same, just slightly different construction process and leather.

Let me know if you have any more questions on these, I'd be glad to help sort it out.

Tom
Animal Traffic
www.animaltrafficpdx.com
www.facebook.com/animaltraffic

Brian Itzaina

Reaction score
Hi Brian,

That's really cool that you saw those. White's did make the Buffalo Boot about 15 years ago and they're still making the same model but now it's part of their Hathorn Hi-Line series. The White's Smokejumper is still going to be the highest quality boot, but the the Hi-Line will look the same, just slightly different construction process and leather.

Let me know if you have any more questions on these, I'd be glad to help sort it out.

Tom
Animal Traffic
www.animaltrafficpdx.com
THANKS!
I am sending you a private message.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Brian,

Tom
Animal Traffic
www.animaltrafficpdx.com

Can you walk in one of your shops and work through a Whites order, or is it online only? Would you have Whites to try-on in-store?

Okal

Reaction score
I was notified by Baker's that my horsehide SDs are in the build process and should be completed sometime next week or soon thereafter. Then White's ships the boots to Baker's who inspects them then sends them on to me. So, I should have my new boots on my feet in the next couple weeks! Here is my build:

Horse Hide Semi Dress by White's - 2332HH
Toe Cap Leather Color Brown Horse Hide
Sole Vibram 700
Size - Length 12.5
Hardware All Antique Eyes
Edge Brown
Upper (Shaft) Leather Brown Horse Hide
Midsole Single
Pull Loops No Thanks
Last Standard
Sole Trim Close Trim
Toe Vamp Leather Brown Horse Hide
Heel Base Standard Curve
Heel Lifts Standard Height
Size - Width: Ball C, Heel B
Toe Cap Leather Toe Cap (only available on plain toe style)
Celastic Toe Box Single Celastic Toe
Leather Liner Cream

Nothing too fancy except for the narrow heel and medium ball that requires White's to build a special last for my boots. That's why I'm paying for custom boots, which makes the price I'm being charged reasonable, even with the added cost of the special last. I just hope they fit well, as I have been assured they will. Baker's and White's both have my tracings and my measurements. Fortunately, my feet are virtual mirror images of one another, so if one boot fits, the other almost certainly will too.

Allan

tigerpac

Reaction score
Very nice choice - while STILL waiting on my bounty hunters (11 weeks and counting!) I was thinking when (and if at this point) I get another pair of White's I'd go with the horse hide SDs.

Let us know how they come out, very interested!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads