Custom White's Boots ... Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Whacky, Jan 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. EgliComet

EgliComet Senior member

I purchased a pair of SJ on ebay that are non celastic. I manage a motorcycle collection for a living and I can definitely feel the shifter on top of my foot.
    I ordered a pair of Nomads for my boss and a pair of SJ with celastic toes for myself. They should be here next week.

2. andy b.

andy b. Senior member

urbans,

How thick does the distressed leather seem? I was talking to Kyle and he said the distressed leather is the thickest of the light leather colors. I am really leaning towards something with that leather for my next pair.

Andy B.

Last edited: May 24, 2013

3. mrwilmoth

mrwilmoth New Member

4. urbanswoodsman

urbanswoodsman Active Member

That leather is amazing. Hands down my most favorite Whites leather.

I would say it's just as thick as all of the standard leathers. Def the thickest lightest brown leather for sure.

5. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

Does anyone know of any packer boots with a more pointed toe box than the ones in this thread? I realize it can look a bit like a 17th century witch's boot if there's a massive sole under a pointed toe, but the rounded ones here are all too casual.

6. Okal

Okal Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 26, 2013

7. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Great boots, urbanwoodsman. I'm thinking of getting something very similar for myself.

I was thinking of going with Chrome Excel for the entire boot. Are you implying that it's not the best choice for durability? I want something tough that will hold up in deep snow and slush. I understand the Chrome Excel is thick and oily, which sounds like what I want. As far as soles go, I'm leaning towards Vibram 100s for traction.

8. daizawaguy

daizawaguy Senior member

Chrome Excel is thick, not really oily, and does stretch quite a bit in unlined form...

9. urbanswoodsman

If you want something tough and durable do not get CXL.

10. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Why

11. urbanswoodsman

It stretches very easily, breaks down quickly, dries out quickly, and it's not as hard wearing as the more straight forward leathers. IMHO, it's great for the uppers on boots or for dress shoes. I've had two pairs of Alden Indys, two pairs of Whites, a Yuketen belt, and a Tanner Goods wallet in CXL. It's just not meant for hard use. If you have 30 pairs of shoes/boots, sure, get that leather, but if you plan on working in them at all they won;t last as long as the traditional leathers.

12. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

I'm surprised to hear that CXL wears out so quickly. The regular smooth leather would be tougher?

Also, maybe this has been answered before, but is the sizing the same for Smoke Jumpers and Bounty Hunters?

13. Okal

Okal Well-Known Member

There is no way that Excel is as tough and durable as the various oiled leathers: the smooth black, smooth brown and smooth distressed. Look at the standard leather for the Smoke Jumpers that the REAL smokejumpers use, and you will see they are made from the smooth black or smooth brown. Urb's boots have one of the best leather combinations I have seen in a Bounty Hunter, except that I prefer the Cuban heel and a brown midsole edge. The 100 sole is great for traction, but it makes for a heavier, less flexible boot. Match the sole to the use, as with any boot, and you'll be happy.

Allan

14. univibe88

univibe88 Senior member

Those are beautiful! I just ordered some and I was really torn between 8" vs 10". I went with 8" and seeing yours confirms that I made the right decision.

15. ffatt

ffatt Senior member

Do we have a comparison of how CXL ends up as compared to smooth leathers? Would French calf be a good alternative to Burgundy CXL and what is a good alternative to Brown CXL in terms of being the same color and better durability?