• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this then a way to tell at a glance (I know, I know, you could also glance at the welt...) what is hand-sewn and what is GYW? Can we assume then if we see a boot with the pre-93 logo it is hand-sewn?
Unless you go no logo! Already having FOMO. Turns out I really like the embossed tops of the MPs.

discomute

Reaction score
Well my boots just shipped

*Sigh*

My "can't really afford them but always wanted them" bought to celebrate 4 long years of retraining my career in my late 30's to celebrate my new job as a commercial solicitor shipped the same day everyone in the office got the sack.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well my boots just shipped

*Sigh*

My "can't really afford them but always wanted them" bought to celebrate 4 long years of retraining my career in my late 30's to celebrate my new job as a commercial solicitor shipped the same day everyone in the office got the sack.
I am sorry to hear that... Covid-19 related lay offs?

discomute

Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that... Covid-19 related lay offs?

Definitely. I am not sure how it is in USA, but our economy is at a virtual standstill, and most of our big clients were in retail.

My wife's career is quite secure however. And for the first time in history, everyone knows what an intensivist is...

miggyramone

Reaction score
Don't mean to inturpt the serious talk but...

Anyone have fit comparisons between Allen Edmonds 65 last and White's MP last? I am interested in the Otto derby. A customer service rep at White's told me they can make them in EEE widths, so I'm really considering a pair for work.

Sledge42

Reaction score
Baker's has gone from a staff of 12 to 2 and is setting up shop in their garage. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200321-205619_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200321-205619_Instagram.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 189

wordfool

Reaction score
Baker's has gone from a staff of 12 to 2 and is setting up shop in their garage. Just wanted to let everyone know.

Best of luck to them in these strange times. It's like bootstrapping one's business all over again! I'm inclined to place a new order just to support them through what must be tough times.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone have fit comparisons between Allen Edmonds 65 last and White's MP last? I am interested in the Otto derby. A customer service rep at White's told me they can make them in EEE widths, so I'm really considering a pair for work.
I really like my fit on the AE 65 @ 9D. I’d almost call it perfect. First MPs were a 9D and very comfortable. Newest MPs are an 8.5 and very snug. Haven’t broken them in yet, but wishing I had 9s again. I’d say if you like snug footwear, .5 from your 65 is right. If you like something with a little more room, might be worth trying the same size.

I like my shoes with a bit of room - snug = uncomfortable for me. My 65 sizing is the snuggest shoe I own but very comfortable which I haven’t experienced in any other last. So of course YMMV.

miggyramone

Reaction score
I really like my fit on the AE 65 @ 9D. I’d almost call it perfect. First MPs were a 9D and very comfortable. Newest MPs are an 8.5 and very snug. Haven’t broken them in yet, but wishing I had 9s again. I’d say if you like snug footwear, .5 from your 65 is right. If you like something with a little more room, might be worth trying the same size.

I like my shoes with a bit of room - snug = uncomfortable for me. My 65 sizing is the snuggest shoe I own but very comfortable which I haven’t experienced in any other last. So of course YMMV.
Thanks for the reply. My 65 last AE's fit me pretty well when broken in. They are just not walking around shoes, as they can get a hair tight by the end of the day. My office is a little relaxed, not enough to wear my 38 swing SDs though. I figured the Otto might be a happy medium.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. My 65 last AE's fit me pretty well when broken in. They are just not walking around shoes, as they can get a hair tight by the end of the day. My office is a little relaxed, not enough to wear my 38 swing SDs though. I figured the Otto might be a happy medium.
Tight in the toe at the end of the day? The MP is a little narrower overall but the MP toe isn’t rappers nearly as hard so I would write it off.

miggyramone

Reaction score
Tight in the toe at the end of the day? The MP is a little narrower overall but the MP toe isn’t rappers nearly as hard so I would write it off.
No, actually the 65 last gives me ample toe room. I was shocked the first time I slipped in them. The tightness is in the waist of the shoe. It's fairly narrow for a EEE width. It's doable with thin dress socks but not ideal. No real pain, just not my go to walking shoes.

SleepyTexan

Reaction score

I can give it a shot, in my DT 1466 socks my brannock is 10.25E/10E L/R: I take a 9.5EEE in the 65 last but a 9.5EE would do if I didn't have to take into account my combined moderately high arch and instep; I take a 9EE in White's MP last and it fits pretty great overall; in both cases the shoe flexes at my arch and the taper is about the same with the MP being slightly more aggressive while having a shallower toebox.

If I had to quantify the differences I would say that the MP's have about a ¼" more space along the arch/ball and maybe a ¼" more generous instep, the 65 last runs a ¼" longer and hugs my heel a bit better.

Sizing was done in a pair of Fifth Avenue's and Kinney chukkas in suede.

Hopefully that was of help to you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads