• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

geremy

Reaction score
They look almost the exact same. Roughout doesn't really age. The main way you can tell they aren't new is the laces and eyelets.

andy b.

Reaction score
My Smooth Distressed Smokejumpers ordered through Baker's have arrived, and I couldn't be more pleased. I was trying to duplicate the somewhat "cushioned" feel of my daily-wear boots that have the Vibram 100 soles, so Kyle recommended the double midsole and +1/4" heel. I was really afraid this was going to make a "clunky" looking boot, but with the 11.5 boot size I think it all looks pretty well balanced. And they feel a lot like my work boots, without tracking all the outdoors into the house! The soles are the 430 mini-lug Vibrams. The welt trim was ordered as "standard", but is still trimmed pretty close and is very well done. I've got a couple of older pairs that have a really wide welt trim, which I do not like as well.

View attachment 1357321 View attachment 1357322 View attachment 1357324 View attachment 1357325

Kyle was a tremendous help in getting these just right; he put a "close instep" request on my order, and it did close up the gap between the quarters over the instep when the boots are laced. Apparently I have a fat (I mean, "high volume") instep! ;)

The photos show a lot more variation in the color than appears to the eye, but the "texture" in this color is one of the appeals of this leather. With some age and oil, I think the leather will darken enough to blend better with the brown edges (at least, that's what I was counting on when I ordered the brown edges). The leather is pretty soft, which is the only thing I am uncertain about; being used to the stiffer oil-tan work leathers, this stuff seems slipper-soft to me. I don't plan to do heavy work like firewood cutting in these boots, only routine chores around the place and occasional casual wear when we "go to town", so it should be fine.

Many thanks to Kyle at Baker's, and to the crew at White's boots, for a job well done! I am extremely appreciative of all the effort that went into putting these boots on my feet.
I am wearing the heck out of my roughout distressed SJs, and I am thinking distressed is one of the well-kept secret leathers at Whites. It's never going to take a shine, the smooth side is going to show scuffs, but it is thick and soft from the start.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
They look almost the exact same. Roughout doesn't really age. The main way you can tell they aren't new is the laces and eyelets.

7C4C282C-E37A-4812-B779-8C0D770FED78.jpeg

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Don't worry about the toughness of the leather. It's a work leather just like brown smooth. I've been giving mine a beating for 4+ years. The leather will darken once some oil is applied to it. Mine almost look like they're made from brown smooth leather now. I went with natural midsole color initially, but when it was time to resole, the leather was so dark I went with the brown edge dressing and it worked out well.

Thank you - I had expected the leather to darken with time, so I appreciate the reassurrance. And also for the feedback about the toughness; I don't expect to beat mine heavily, but persistently!

Spring has arrived! Staying @ home with beer, boots & barbecue.

@Woodtroll those distressed SJ are perfect! BtW Did White's generally return to their old style text-only embossing or is this now an option?

Thank you! Interesting observation on the embossing - I hadn't caught that myself. It was not something I consciously chose or remember seeing a checkbox on when I ordered. I have several pairs dating years back that have the text embossing, so I didn't pay much attention. But a pair of packers that I bought last year have the rounder, more graphic embossing... So I really don't know how I got the text embossing. But it will normally be under my pants with those 10" shanks, so I'm okay with either style. ;)

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is what the Cougars looked like after 16 months of wear, and what they pretty much look like today after over 4 years of wear (though I do wear the false tongues now, smooth side out).

how has the sole held up? I know the Christy sole is real soft and deteriorates quote quickly, especially at the heel

sambam

Reaction score
Thank you - I had expected the leather to darken with time, so I appreciate the reassurrance. And also for the feedback about the toughness; I don't expect to beat mine heavily, but persistently!

Thank you! Interesting observation on the embossing - I hadn't caught that myself. It was not something I consciously chose or remember seeing a checkbox on when I ordered. I have several pairs dating years back that have the text embossing, so I didn't pay much attention. But a pair of packers that I bought last year have the rounder, more graphic embossing... So I really don't know how I got the text embossing. But it will normally be under my pants with those 10" shanks, so I'm okay with either style. ;)
We have went back to our pre 1993 WHITE'S logo on all hand sewn boots. Might take a while for for some of our stock boots to clean out of the system. But all special orders should have it.

Netvine

Reaction score
We have went back to our pre 1993 WHITE'S logo on all hand sewn boots. Might take a while for for some of our stock boots to clean out of the system. But all special orders should have it.
Excellent!

TH3515

Reaction score
Cool. I like both logos but prefer the "vintage" one.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have went back to our pre 1993 WHITE'S logo on all hand sewn boots.
Is this then a way to tell at a glance (I know, I know, you could also glance at the welt...) what is hand-sewn and what is GYW? Can we assume then if we see a boot with the pre-93 logo it is hand-sewn?

sambam

Reaction score
Is this then a way to tell at a glance (I know, I know, you could also glance at the welt...) what is hand-sewn and what is GYW? Can we assume then if we see a boot with the pre-93 logo it is hand-sewn?
You are correct sir!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads