• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

discomute

Reaction score
. Every leather lace I ever used has broken (and usually at an inopportune time...)
Oh that's a shame. I was looking forward to using them with my BH's being made. I hadn't used leather laces before and assumed they would be high quality.

Legal Eagles

Reaction score
Oh that's a shame. I was looking forward to using them with my BH's being made. I hadn't used leather laces before and assumed they would be high quality.
Some are better than others... the really good ones tend to be thicker and so some have a hard time getting them under hooks.
Some people also treat them, and claim it makes them last longer...
If you like the look, go for it, but I view them as wear items that you are going to need to replace more frequently than other types of laces.

Last edited:

paulraphael

Reaction score
Yeah, leather will never have the strength or abrasion resistance or moisture resistance of nylon. Budget for regular replacement.

Leveskie

Reaction score
Best laces I found are called pisgah range laces. 10 dollars a pair and lifetime warranty. I've had them for 4 years and haven't broken yet.

Legal Eagles

Reaction score
Best laces I found are called pisgah range laces. 10 dollars a pair and lifetime warranty. I've had them for 4 years and haven't broken yet.
Are they made of paracord? Some people swear by paracord... I always needed to double knot paracord laces to keep them from coming loose.

Leveskie

Reaction score
Are they made of paracord? Some people swear by paracord... I always needed to double knot paracord laces to keep them from coming loose.
Yes they are made of paracord. When I get my whites those are the laces I'm gonna put in. I always double knot my boots anyways, but paracord needs to be double knotted in my experience as well. They also have any color you want. I believe they are made in North Carolina which is pretty cool. I also got darn tough socks from your recommendation of them. The best socks ever! I never thought I would spend 26 dollars for one pair, but those socks stay up, don't get wet, and don't itch! I think everyone should get at least one pair of darn tough. I wont go back to cotton that for sure.

Legal Eagles

Reaction score
@Legal Eagles: Your influencer check is surely in the mail from Darn Tough at this point!
😛
I won’t publicly endorse a product unless I use it exclusively and I really believe in it.

My only official recommendations are U.S. Army issued mustache trimmers, Morton's salt, the C.R. Laurence Fein 2 inch axe-style scraper oscillating knife, White's Boots, and Darn Tough Socks...

There is so much to be learned from the wisdom of Ron Swanson... his Pyramid of Greatness hangs in my office...

1582134117742.png

And Nick Offerman is a fan of White's in real life!

andy b.

Reaction score
I'm currently using lengths of paracord in my recently received Distressed RO SJs. Seems like they should last forever. And yes, double knotting is mandatory. LOL

Legal Eagles

Reaction score
After 4 years of use one spot on the laces has gone shiny. I like these aglets because they dont come off like other laces I have used so the ends never fray.
With:

1) The right tool,
1582140074217.png

2)1000' feet of 7 strand paracord; and
1582140040517.png

3) a few hundred aglets,
1582140016302.png

You can make your own in custom lengths and never buy shoelaces again!

Leveskie

Reaction score
With:

1) The right tool,
View attachment 1339992
2)1000' feet of 7 strand paracord; and
View attachment 1339991
3) a few hundred aglets,
View attachment 1339990
You can make your own in custom lengths and never buy shoelaces again!
That would be great if companies didn't do lifetime warranties! Pisgah range offers free shipping if you buy 2 pairs of laces. So we will see how good their lifetime policy is once this pair wears through! Maybe you can make them and i'll buy laces right from you! :)

discomute

Reaction score
I suppose I'll get into good socks eventually but I am happy with cotton. Bonds very comfy in fact (Australian brand I believe. Which reminds me, if any Aussies read over this don't get tricked - our "darn tough" socks are not what legal eagle is referring to). They are cheap, stay up, last me about a year before they look too faded to go with my suits, and I'm an advanced evolutionary human who does not have foot odour under any circumstance.

PS. Ron Swanson and I could not be friends due to his radical beliefs around eating caught fish. Sorry Ron, it's the best.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.