• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mikecch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by IIIrd Icon
i've checked out the water buffalo SDs @Fowler's NYC a few months ago, but wasn't really moved by the leather. maybe, it's just a preference thing__ no idea how it wears.

the captoed black chromexcel would be more to my liking. if i can have it my way__ capped brogue in dark brown or espresso w/natural trim, on Vibram half soles + Quabaug heels
smile.gif

Cheers IIIrd...I was tossing up between water buffalo and Chromexcel steerhide for a SD.
Guess it'll be Chromexcel then.

Thor

Reaction score
Nice looking Boots Slide!

Would to see some pics of them in action if you had the time/ability...?

konadog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrUnicorn
i suggest the water buffalo

the water buffalo is a softer, more supple leather. i think it's perfect if you want your semi dress to be more of a dress/fashion boot. the standard dress leathers and CXL leathers feel much more rugged - perfect for work or motorcycle boots.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i suggest the water buffalo
WB texture looks exotic & cool, & prolly great for casual urban utility. but, it's soft & light [like calfskin] & will require lining. 'no idea how tough, but it seemed/felt like it's gonna tear/disintegrate quickly.
its a bit hard using the semi dress as a motorcycle boot because its like if you tie it not to tight you feel like the boot loosen on the ankle part i dont know but i always use 8" high boot as my bike boot

cxl imo is not that great as they say or tell you i rather go with whites oiled or dress leather than the cxl ones...

imo, if it's a 1st pair, mosdef. but , like the denim experience, expanding one's experience & exploring other possibilities, are not a such a bad endeavor. of course, one consideration in leather choice would be intended usage.

konadog

Reaction score
just ordered another pair from baker's. will post pics in a month or so.
Custom Semi Dress by White's Boots
Last Standard, Sole Leather, Hardware All Brass Eyes, Edge Brown, Upper (Shaft) Leather British Tan, Midsole Single, Pull Loops No Thanks, Leather Liner No Thanks, Sole Trim Close Trim, Toe Vamp Leather Distressed Rough Out, Toe Cap No Thanks, Celastic Toe Box Single Celastic Toe, Heel Base Standard

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^nice! tho' with single leather sole [w/c meant lower profile], i woulldve gone with the block heels cuz they looked better in person, imo.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I'd like to know as well.

I notice that people don't talk about White's various lasts much, and the company doesn't state which boot is on which last, as systematically as Alden does. I've been able to piece together that they have a standard last, a swing last, and (I think), a northwest last. What else? I read somewhere that the smokejumper is usually made on the same last as the farmer/rancher (but what the last is I have no idea).

Anyone know of an existing guide or chart?

I'm visiting a White's retailer this weekend to try (and possibly buy) some Northwest boots, but it's a trek. I'd like to get my sizing in a few common lasts so that I can purchase and order w/some confidence online in the future.

konadog

Reaction score
^^ that middle boot is most likely on the standard last, but with the "close trim" option.

Shorty Long

Reaction score
I would have guessed "swing" last, but I could very well be wrong.
Originally Posted by konadog
^^ that middle boot is most likely on the standard last, but with the "close trim" option.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found these on a Japanese site called Sturdy. Nice. Would love to know what type of leather was spec'd for them. Any ideas?

whitesbootssemi-dresssturdy-3.jpg

whitesbootssemi-dresssturdy-2.jpg

whitesbootssemi-dresssturdy-4.jpg

whitesbootssemi-dresssturdy-1.jpg

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that's either "Distressed smooth" or a well worn "Natural Chromexcel"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads