• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Tailor Issue: Should I be worried?

uluvbs

Reaction score
So, I went to a custom tailor today to have the below coat made for myself:

http://www.yoox.com/item/YOOX/DOLCE+...X/sts/sr_men80

The tailor said he didn't know if he could duplicate the shoulder in these images because he has never done this kind of shoulder in a topcoat (only in a jacket). As "a tailor" on here has explained, the caps of the shoulders are roped.

I asked the tailor if he felt I should still trust him to be able to do a good job making the coat, and he said that I should.

I'm a little concerned. Should I be worried or just trust that he knows what he's doing?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uluvbs
The tailor said he didn't know if he could duplicate the shoulder in these images because he has never done this kind of shoulder in a topcoat (only in a jacket).

Roping the shoulders shouldn't be difficult for an experienced tailor. I don't know how much experience your tailor has, but based on the above statement, if you go forward with this, don't set your expectations too high.

uluvbs

Reaction score
He is apparently very experienced, which makes the statement all too weird.

Texas_jack, can you tell me what you mean exactly? Are you saying it would be almost impossible to have anyone re-create that look?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by uluvbs
He is apparently very experienced, which makes the statement all too weird.

Texas_jack, can you tell me what you mean exactly? Are you saying it would be almost impossible to have anyone re-create that look?

It's not impossible but unless you've seen examples of his work and they are similar I think you may be asking too much. Why don't you just buy the one on Yoox?

uluvbs

Reaction score
Hi, Jack

It's $1400, and I already bought the Loro Piana fabric that I want to use for it.

Anyone else with advice?

mikeber

Reaction score
My 0.02 cent:
If you are really hooked on this D@G coat you should buy it, or at least order and try it on to see how it fits. You may be surprised to find that it looks different from what you imagined. You can then return it.
Take the Loro Piana fabric and ask the tailor to make a coat in a silhouette that he feels more comfortable with.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads