• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Suiting Toronto

HughJ

Reaction score

The trouble was, I am a control freak of sorts too. Not a freak, since I could live with things that go wrong, but I am an enthusiast so I care about being able to pick through all the options - and I have definite opinions on them. I did try to confirm everything, and even made note of how things were wrong before and we shouldn't make the same mistake. But no quality control at all to speak of.

At some point, it gets a bit ridiculous.

It got ridiculous when the 2nd attempt went off the rails. I consider myself a fairly laid back customer, but you are saint.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
This has been a very interesting read. @scatterbrain , is that suit green? looks great. I've seen some of Raj's suits up close and they are done quite well. I know of a customer who bought some tapestry fabric from a furniture store and had a jacket made out of it from Raj. Looks insane, but fit him like a glove.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
This has been a very interesting read. @scatterbrain , is that suit green? looks great. I've seen some of Raj's suits up close and they are done quite well. I know of a customer who bought some tapestry fabric from a furniture store and had a jacket made out of it from Raj. Looks insane, but fit him like a glove.
Not green, per se. That's the colour balance of the photo. The fabric is more grey with greenish undertones. 90% wool 10% mohair. Not too much shine. Here's a version that's closer to the actual colour:

I like the fabric a lot. It's interesting, but still formal. I wish I had given the undertones more thought before ordering, however. It isn't as easy to match as a basic charcoal with no colour tone at all.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Not green, per se. That's the colour balance of the photo. The fabric is more grey with greenish undertones. 90% wool 10% mohair. Not too much shine. Here's a version that's closer to the actual colour:

I like the fabric a lot. It's interesting, but still formal. I wish I had given the undertones more thought before ordering, however. It isn't as easy to match as a basic charcoal with no colour tone at all.

kudos on the selection though, I think the colour is fantastic. The drape on the jacket is great as well. He must be using a very soft/pliable canvas. Not easy to execute and quite well done. I've seen some horrible full canvas suits customers just brought in recently during our suit exchange. All full canvas suits are not created equal - all too often the terms are thrown around with very, very poor execution.

TOstyle

Reaction score

Too bad it's not green. That would look great!

Nice fit there too. Shoulders and drape look very good.

TOstyle

Reaction score
On that note has anyone checked out House of Salgado?
Checked out once when in the PATH, and chatted a bit. My impression was he the kind of old school Italian tailor, with a slight arrogant bent - which made me think he would just do things his way. I wasn't up for that, and prices were high so I took a pass. Can't help otherwise, and not sure if that is accurate or not since I didn't buy anything, but that was my first impression.

linds_15

Reaction score

Checked out once when in the PATH, and chatted a bit. My impression was he the kind of old school Italian tailor, with a slight arrogant bent - which made me think he would just do things his way. I wasn't up for that, and prices were high so I took a pass. Can't help otherwise, and not sure if that is accurate or not since I didn't buy anything, but that was my first impression.

i did the same thing, checked it out while walking through and had the same impression

TOstyle

Reaction score
Glad it wasn't just me. My sense was most of his client base are old bankers who want to think they are king of the world buying high end products, and he caters to that. Not what I go for when looking for a tailor.

akoustas

Reaction score
Thanks! That's good to know. Definitely not me scene then.

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Too bad it's not green. That would look great!

Nice fit there too. Shoulders and drape look very good.
Thanks!

... My impression was he the kind of old school Italian tailor, with a slight arrogant bent - which made me think he would just do things his way. I wasn't up for that, and prices were high so I took a pass. Can't help otherwise, and not sure if that is accurate or not since I didn't buy anything, but that was my first impression.

How high? did he say how much a sport coat would be? If Raj says he can't/doesn't want to do an extremely soft shoulder, I may be looking for someone who can make an Italian-styled staple blue jacket in a few months.

akoustas

Reaction score
Just took a punt on some navy trousers from @spiermackay . Will be interesting to see how their product turns out (local vendor after all!). Will report back

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Just took a punt on some navy trousers from @spiermackay . Will be interesting to see how their product turns out (local vendor after all!). Will report back
Custom, or OTR?

I have lots of custom shirts and some OTR trousers from them. One OTR suit. Their OTR is very good value for the money ($300 for a suit!? $59 for trousers? $33 for shirts? c'mon...).

akoustas

Reaction score
otr they have half sizes 33 which is great. Figure the contemporary cut should do. Heck at 70 bucks I'm not gonna complain if they fit well enough. Could be a Nice option for separates.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks!

How high? did he say how much a sport coat would be? If Raj says he can't/doesn't want to do an extremely soft shoulder, I may be looking for someone who can make an Italian-styled staple blue jacket in a few months.

We can do this. We just did a jacket with no padding and spalla camicia for a customer. Turned out really great.

dappercanadian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

We can do this. We just did a jacket with no padding and spalla camicia for a customer. Turned out really great.
have you considered offering full bespoke in the future? There seems to be an overwhelming demand for such a service in Toronto that's SF approved. I would drive from Ottawa for that.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads