• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom Suiting Toronto

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Looking to get my first MTM suit and locally we have Atelier Munro and Harold from Harry Rosen.

Are either of these brands worth the price, or just step up to Samuelsohn? Canali or Zegna are too much out of reach for me

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Looking to get my first MTM suit and locally we have Atelier Munro and Harold from Harry Rosen.

Are either of these brands worth the price, or just step up to Samuelsohn? Canali or Zegna are too much out of reach for me

Not a fan of Munro - basically Suit Supply.

Harold is decent - big selection of fabrics, full canvass option for an upcharge, Made in China (not a judgement, just a fact).

I'm a fan of Samuelsohn - decent selection of fabrics, full canvass by default, various models to work with, and made in Canada. And unlike other MTM programs, you can make substantial changes to the base model, including lapel width, and button positioning.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @othertravel

I guess I'll go back to Harry Rosen then. I got suckered into the Munro showroom presentation looks like!

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can budge a bit on the budget, Canali is a good option too. Here's an MTM I did through Harry Rosen last year:

1951295-b79e9a7b9bddcabc2d62417b337efa96.jpg

induere_to

Reaction score
Just my two cents,

Harold, I've only been able to judge based on what Harry Rosen has on display ready-to-wear and it's all just really cheap machine-made stuff. I have no idea what their made-to-measure program looks like, but (personally) judging on their ready-to-wear, I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

Atelier Munro, however, moved their production to India, which many people in the industry have mixed reviews of. Personally, I like Indian manufacturing it's definitely cheap but they do substantial amount of handwork. During Pitti last June, friend Mitchell Moss was wearing some Munro commissions he had just received and gave me his jacket to look over. I was impressed by the amount of handwork that went into that garment.

Given that I'm not entirely educated about Harold's offerings, nor how uniform Mitchell Moss' quality of garment is throughout all other Munro garments; I'd break it down to personal research.

There are two factors that should come to play when buying made to measure:

1. Fit.

How confident you are that the dedicated associate can understand your body type and how close the company can accommodate to your shape. I could be wrong, but when I walk into Harry Rosen, there is never any associate in the Harold department. For me, this is a red flag, because it tells me there is no dedicated associate that works specifically for Harold. If it's up to sales associates to take your measurements or do your fittings, their primary interest is the sale. They also have to juggle the other Harry Rosen MTM offerings like Canali or Samuelsohn (or whichever company is not a Harry Rosen lease with dedicated associates). However, if an associate works for Harold, you should expect that they'd have the adequate training to go about the fitting process and this should allow you to be more confident in your purchase.

Munro however, has it's own shop, it's own employees. They're all trained to work specifically with Munro and should be more focused on welcoming you into the shop and provide a pleasant shopping experience overall.

2. Quality.

As mentioned above, I'm unfamiliar with Harold's made to measure program; so I would recommend asking questions that could shed some light on the process. "How does the quality of MTM differentiate from RTW offerings?" You can gather whatever you need to from either company (including Samuelsohn and Canali as othertravel recommended). Based on whichever given price point these companies quote you, you can go back to the pros and cons drawing board to see which offering will give you more for what you're planning on paying for.

Additionally, you can also compare turnaround times, though turnaround times should be the last concern as you should never ask for any commission to be rushed. QC will get thrown out the window.

Samuelsohn is a sleeper regarding quality, Canali is as well. They will be more expensive, than the other offerings. Both are great options for business suits, but I wouldn't recommend them for any laid-back everyday aesthetic. Harold is far more trendy with their overall company image and Munro is much more #hashtag menswear that most guys on here would aesthetically be into.

mispoke

Reaction score
Not sure what current prices are, but I would have thought that, depending on tier, Samuelsohn / Canali is within the same ballpark as Sebastian's semi-bespoke, in terms of price point?

If that is the case, why would anyone go with the MTM option, or is there something about those offerings that is superior to the semi-bespoke option from an artisanal tailor?

Samuelsohn is a sleeper regarding quality, Canali is as well. They will be more expensive, than the other offerings. Both are great options for business suits, but I wouldn't recommend them for any laid-back everyday aesthetic. Harold is far more trendy with their overall company image and Munro is much more #hashtag menswear that most guys on here would aesthetically be into.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Advanced pro-tip:

Fly to Milan (seriously) and get Tom Ford or Zegna MTM there. Much, much cheaper than getting it done in Canada or U.S.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Advanced pro-tip:

Fly to Milan (seriously) and get Tom Ford or Zegna MTM there. Much, much cheaper than getting it done in Canada or U.S.
Even when you factor travel time which is money to many of us, airfare, hotel....?

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by Munro today, and they have a pretty extensive customization process. They also have a Made in Italy option (with an upcharge), but no idea which factory/company makes it. Either way, good stuff.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got word from Harry Rosen that their Giorgio Armani event is invite only (you can easily get yourself on the list by asking), and is being held offsite at the Four Seasons. Apparently, their Master Tailor will be doing the measurements for MTM.

For those interested, I believe MTM starts at ~$4k for a half canvass model, and ~$6-7k for a full canvass.

I have no idea who makes the suits for Armani - maybe an expert with inside industry knowledge ( @induere_to ?) has that info.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swung by the Tom Ford trunk show at Harry’s, and they had quite the selection of swatches. But again, very expensive. MTM for a suit starts at $6860 + tax. That’s for the lowest grade fabric.

A sport coat starts at $5650 + tax.

Have said it before, but TF suits have a fantastic silhouette. But man are they pricey.

And no, I did not get anything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads